VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 11:50:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Lilo?  (Read 4744 times)
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:05:02 pm »

But GRUB can be installed without mounting partitions. I have problems with LILO and multiple distros installed in case when one distro recognizes my hard disk as /dev/hda and another one as /dev/sda. When I mount partitions and try to install LILO it complains something about that. Maybe I don`t know how to use LILO correctly but GRUB works without problems since I don`t have to mount partitions.

nightshift

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 08:08:33 pm »

I have installed Vector 5.9 Deluxe edition and installed Lilo on the root partition. I have grub on a multi boot system and just added          title          Vector 5-9
                                               root           (hd0,13)
                                               kernel      /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda14 ro
                                               initrd      /boot/initrd
                                               savedefault
                                               boot
to the existing grub menu.lst file and all went well. I have used Lilo in the past and it never gave me any problems. I guess it is what you are use to using that makes it easy or not. When I started using Linux the only boot loader that came as default was Lilo and after a while I got use to using it. Now I am use to grub and don't have a problem using it, all though there is another one that I can't think of the name but Forsight Linux uses it and I can't at the moment get it to multi-boot, but if it becomes the standard I will put the time into finding out how it works.

Just my opinion
nightshift
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 05:43:21 am »

Grub's naming of partitions confuse me.  Although I do like how any edits are available right away.
But I still prefer Lilo.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 07:21:16 am »

Grub's naming system for partitions is actually very close to what some commercial UNIX flavors do.  If you think grub is confusing take a look at how Solaris does it sometime  Grin

My main reason for generally preferring grub is the flexibility it offers.  Of course, now that the developers have refused to backport support for larger inode sizes, effectively killing support for ext4 and the newest versions of ext3 lots and lots of people have gone back to lilo.  I expect when grub2 comes out a lot of people will migrate back to grub if the new version works as it should.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »

On that note...  exactly how long have we been waiting for grub2?  I've given up checking on it.  It's been so long.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 12:18:51 pm »

I honestly don't know.  I do know that the Linux community is pretty forgiving of long periods without a release and abandoned release schedules.  Look at the history of Debian releases for a good example.  Enlightenment is another.  I'm not sure E will ever see a 1.0 release.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: