VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Opening docx files  (Read 3979 times)

no2thesame

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Opening docx files
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:24:46 am »

Have any of you started getting MSOffice 2007 files as attachments yet?

The default file format from MS Office 2007's Word has a .docx extension as a replacement for the familiar .doc. Tonight, late, I was sent such a beast and OpenOffice.org 2.2 on my VL SOHO 5.8 box did not know what to do with it. Needing to have it edited by morning, a quick Google and not much fiddling resulted in a conversion to a .odf file!

Apparently OpenOffice.org 3.x will open these files. Until then, a command line method from OOoNinja worked for me with some modifications.

1. I downloaded OdfConverter 1.1.7 from http://download.go-oo.org/red-carpet/ooo-680/sled-10-sp-i586/odf-converter-1.1-7.i586.rpm.

2. Opened a terminal and opened Midnight commander

Code: [Select]
cd Downloads
mc

3. Selected odf-converter-1.1-7.i586.rpm in Midnight Commander, pressed F2 and chose Explode ...rpm... to subdir then F10 to get out of Midnight Commander.

4. Changed to root and copied the programme to /usr/bin, then exited root shell

su
cp cp odf-converter-1.1-7.i586/usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/OdfConverter /usr/bin
exit

5. To convert myfirst.docx to myfirst.odt , I moved to the directory where I had saved the docx and typed:

OdfConverter /i myfirst.docx
and myfirst .odt appeared in the directory after lots of 'progress' in the terminal.

6. OpenOffice.org opened and edited myfirst.odt without problems.

For help on OdfConverter usage: use the command without arguments

OdfConverter
For integration into OpenOffice.org, but I haven't tried this.

no2

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: Opening docx files
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:33:52 pm »

I moved your post to the Howto's, as that seems more appropriate, and it's less likely to get lost there.

I'm sure it will prove very useful for a lot of people here on the forum, thanks for posting!
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »

Have any of you started getting MSOffice 2007 files as attachments yet?
I have run into these and they are troublesome. The Mac users in the house have to work collaboratively with other students and now Mac office is a must.

Previously I had them using Abiword and Open Office. Aparently you can't even cut and paste between Office 2007 and other apps! And (although I don't know if this is new) they can't print their documents on the local university's printers.Office 2007 isn' t backwards compatible with older versions of Office either.

MS is evil and it got another pound of my flesh. Glad to see people finding ways to resist.

BlueMage

• Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:00:08 am »

Aparently you can't even cut and paste between Office 2007 and other apps! And (although I don't know if this is new) they can't print their documents on the local university's printers.Office 2007 isn' t backwards compatible with older versions of Office either.

Not true - Office 2007 works like any other office suite with regards to copy-paste.  Office 2007 is backwards compatible with previous Office version files, however, it runs them in a compatibility mode rather than a native mode - it's still possible to edit them and save the changes such that the previous versions of Office can read and edit them.
Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)