Have any of you started getting MSOffice 2007 files as attachments yet?
The default file format from MS Office 2007's Word has a .docx extension as a replacement for the familiar .doc. Tonight, late, I was sent such a beast and OpenOffice.org 2.2 on my VL SOHO 5.8 box did not know what to do with it. Needing to have it edited by morning, a quick Google and not much fiddling resulted in a conversion to a .odf file!
Apparently OpenOffice.org 3.x will open these files
. Until then, a command line method from OOoNinja
worked for me with some modifications.
1. I downloaded OdfConverter 1.1.7 from http://download.go-oo.org/red-carpet/ooo-680/sled-10-sp-i586/odf-converter-1.1-7.i586.rpm
2. Opened a terminal and opened Midnight commander
3. Selected odf-converter-1.1-7.i586.rpm in Midnight Commander, pressed F2 and chose Explode ...rpm... to subdir then F10 to get out of Midnight Commander.
4. Changed to root and copied the programme to /usr/bin, then exited root shell
cp cp odf-converter-1.1-7.i586/usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/OdfConverter /usr/bin
5. To convert myfirst.docx to myfirst.odt , I moved to the directory where I had saved the docx and typed:
OdfConverter /i myfirst.docx
and myfirst .odt appeared in the directory after lots of 'progress' in the terminal.
6. OpenOffice.org opened and edited myfirst.odt without problems.
For help on OdfConverter usage: use the command without arguments
For integration into OpenOffice.org,
but I haven't tried this.