VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 01:40:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh install will not boot past "Performing Coldplugging".  (Read 1005 times)
Cracked

« on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:26 am »

I recently was able to install Vector Linux standard GOLD 5.9 (thanks to some previous help on this forum), but it seems I've run into another problem.

Lilo comes up fine, and the system appears to boot normally, but once the "Performing Coldplugging" stage is reached, the computer does not advance.  The Hard Drive has a little bit of activity, but after 6 hours overnight there was still no advancement.  Is there something I may be overlooking in booting the OS?

Edit:  It turns out that the problem was that Vector Linux doesn't seem to like my sound card or NIC.  I got it booted up finally, and it runs well, though I don't have sound or internet.  Thanks for the patience, though Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:33:47 pm by Cracked » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:36:11 am »

Glad you were able to find the problem is everything working Now?

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:45:37 am »

Cracked:

I wish I had seen this earlier.  I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Cracked, I'm curious.  Do your networking and sound cards work with any other operating system?  Specifically, have you tried them with a different Linux distribution?  It would be odd if they both went bad at the same time, but could this be a hardware problem?

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: