VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 02:41:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Multimedia Bonus Disc RC 2.6 is Released!!!  (Read 12891 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 08, 2008, 08:15:20 am »

Multimedia Bonus Disc RC 2.6 is Released!!!

This is now "SOHO compatible." We have a new installer and a quite a few little things fixed and upgraded. I especially need people to test the installer and tell me how well it works. More information about the disc and what is included on it can be found at my site: http://dweeberkitty.110mb.com Also you can find a Quick Start Guide here: http://dweeberkitty.110mb.com/install.pdf

The ISO can be downloaded here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/MultimediaBonusDisc-RC2.6.iso

This is the installer which will let you choose your installation method. A full install requires about 1.2GB

Here is MMBD being installed:

And when it is finally done, you get a Multimedia menu packed with some of the best Multimedia software for Linux that I could find. Also you get some new additions to your Graphics menu.

Here is a little bit more detailed changelog:

** New Installer
Added Overwrite option
Added Uninstall option
Added Expert install option
Fixed Install option (So it will not overwrite pkgs)
Fixed slapt-get function (So it will keep your original slapt-getrc)
Fixed instal script (Now works with SOHO)

** New Packages
jasper
libkdcraw
exiv2
libkexiv2
libkipi
kipi-plugins
digikam
avahi
qt-3.3.8b

** Updated Packages
ardour to 2.3.1
kino to 1.3.0
manslide to 2.0.2
lives to 0.9.8.8
sox to 14.0.1
gimp to 2.4.5
hugin to 20080115
kdebase to 3.5.9
kde-libs to 3.5.9
kdebindings to 3.5.9

** Fixed Packages
oggconvert (Fixed svg icon)
noteedit (KDE puts it in Lost and Found)
sweep (Fixed svg icon)
reload1394 (Updated script to use zenity and fixed to work with KDE)
jamin (Fixed svg icon)
hugin (Fixed build type)

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:15:43 pm »

OK - have downloaded and burnt it to a disk, unable to just click on the icon to install, this just opens it up in abiword and I get....

#!/bin/sh

cd $(find /mnt /media -name "MMBD_Data")

vsuper sh install.sh

Which I think shows one problem the file is Install.sh

So opening up a terminal and su I run it... here is the output.

root:# sh Install.sh
/bin/sh
sh install.sh
Overwrite Mode (Overwrites all packages)
: command not found
'h: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `{
'h: line 3: `config() {
: command not found
'h: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `{
'h: line 3: `config() {
Yes chosen.

When I click on the menu the menu button vanishes... will reboot and see if that makes a difference.

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:54:15 pm »

Also seems to have upset the KDE log on.... Reverted to a very basic KDE log on screen.  Also any splash sceen is taken to a stock KDE splash screen.  If I try to set this to the new Vector 5.9 splash etc I get a Moodin module not installed...   Now I could downgrade all the KDE stuff and this might reset things but I suspect I would then lose some of the aps as they would be built against a later KDE library?
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:48:06 pm »

Also seems to have upset the KDE log on.... Reverted to a very basic KDE log on screen.  Also any splash sceen is taken to a stock KDE splash screen.  If I try to set this to the new Vector 5.9 splash etc I get a Moodin module not installed...   Now I could downgrade all the KDE stuff and this might reset things but I suspect I would then lose some of the aps as they would be built against a later KDE library?

Yes I think you can downgrade as I didn't really build any packages against the newer kde packages. The problem comes from the kde 3.5.9 packages that I was given, apparently they mess things up on a standard install. However, the programs should all still work. As far as the Install.sh, you are supposed to run that script just like you did "sh Install.sh" it in turn runs the script in MMBD_Data/install.sh. This was meant to fix a problem in SOHO, you can though, just run (as root) the install.sh script inside of the data folder.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:16:07 am »

OK downgrading restored the settings for KDE logon - now where is the icon for the vectorised menu launcher for XFCE kept :-) then I will all be back to normal (I think)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:59:11 pm »

OK downgrading restored the settings for KDE logon - now where is the icon for the vectorised menu launcher for XFCE kept :-) then I will all be back to normal (I think)

Okay, what I think I will do is not have an upgraded KDE on the disc, just the same version as what's on Standard already. Not sure about the icon for the menu, (did it really mess that up?). The next version should have this problem fixed though. Thanks for testing!

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

Much to my surprise the program launcher disappeared,  so I added a new one, no biggie, but it would be nice to have the vector button there rather than the stock XFCE one.   Pleased to do something of value for Vector, and I appreciate all your effort in putting together an amazing bonus disk!  So much great stuff that I have absolutely no idea how to use... but I can have fun playing.....
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:10:24 am »

The reason the icon won't launch the installer appears to be that Install.sh isn't executable.  It appears to be a permissions issue.  Pretty simple fix.

At the end the installer asks you to check out the Multimedia menu.  Make that Mutimedia & Graphics as some nice graphics apps get installed too Smiley

A couple of suggestions for future releases:

1.  Since MMBD does include non-Open software (i.e.: XaraLX) how about including Lightscribe CD labeling software?  I have both the HP and LaCie programs installed on my system.  Both seem to work OK with the latest HP driver.

2.  Since tetex gets installed (is this really necessary?Huh) then should some GUI DTP software to work with tetex (i.e.: Lyx) be included?  Not really MM, I know.

I don't even know what all the apps do yet.  I see i have some new toys to play with Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 01:28:18 pm »

Tetex is used for some musical notation editors to write the score. I think Noteedit is included in the mmbd.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:36:29 pm »

Actually lilypond uses tetex and noteedit uses lilypond.

1.  Since MMBD does include non-Open software (i.e.: XaraLX) how about including Lightscribe CD labeling software?  I have both the HP and LaCie programs installed on my system.  Both seem to work OK with the latest HP driver.

Possibly.....but that's almost something that most people would download only IF they had that sort of device. I'll look into it though.

I don't even know what all the apps do yet.

When MMBD 1.0 comes out, I will be selling a hard copy with a printed manual that will get you up and running, including explaining what each program does and what to use it for. Stay tuned!  Wink

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:42:17 pm »

OK... if there is already a package like this put it down to my ignorance, but... How about a more capable CD ripper?  grip, for example, is faster than ripperX and is far more configurable. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 07:02:30 am »

OK... if there is already a package like this put it down to my ignorance, but... How about a more capable CD ripper?  grip, for example, is faster than ripperX and is far more configurable. 

You know...I looked at grip, but I had decided not to include it because it requires a bunch of gnome packages. Unless there is some killer multimedia app that has to have gnome, I'd rather not mess with it. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'm having a hard time finding new packages...there's so many I've already done  Wink

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 06:06:31 pm »

I'm having a hard time finding new packages
How about PiTiVi. This looks pretty interesting. I started try and make a package myself but I just can't seem to get back to it.

And how about an ffmpeg package with 3gp support for cell phone videos.
Here is an Unbuntu forum thread on making 3gp videos play (I haven't read it)

And here is a link to a bloggers post about how to enable 3gp support in ffmpeg
I did read this and was going to try it but I haven't been able to open it since. Also I don't have a cell phone that can take videos so I kinda lost interest. However at least two people have asked about cell phone videos in the forum recently so it might be useful.

Other than that I can't see anything you have not done!

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 03:02:31 pm »

I'm having a hard time finding new packages
How about PiTiVi. This looks pretty interesting. I started try and make a package myself but I just can't seem to get back to it.

When I first started this project, I tried to build PiTiVi but it wouldn't compile for me. I'll try it again and see if it will work now.

And how about an ffmpeg package with 3gp support for cell phone videos.
Here is an Unbuntu forum thread on making 3gp videos play (I haven't read it)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm working on it now.  Smiley

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »

Hmmm...Apparently the 3gp codec is a Nokia non-free codec. Unfortunately I cannot legally distribute it if I enable it or add it into ffmpeg. Sorry InTheWoods!  Cry

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: