VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:02:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Eee PC announced  (Read 1817 times)
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« on: March 08, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »

Asus announced the launch of a new line of Eee PC's (model 900 series) that will feature an 8.9 inch viewing screen (800 x 600), a faster processor, 1GB RAM and up to 12GB storage.  This model was unvieled at CEBIT.  Here is a link to a side by side comparison with the current 701.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/7-inch-eee-pc-vs-9-inch-eee-pc-ready-fight/

Whats the catch?

It is priced at €399 ($606.00 at the moment).

Tongue

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »

Hmmmmm ... (thinking thinking thinking) ... nah.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »

Dwarves are rich, so they should find it easy to buy.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

Why is it bigger?  For crying out loud, the whole POINT of this device was that it be as small as possible while remaining physically usable.  It's not going to be running Vista - it's running linux, or maybe a stripped down version of XP.  It doesn't need a whole lot of grunt.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:07:30 pm »

BlueMage:  I don't understand this either.  I wasn't going to buy one anyway, but I thought the whole idea was to have something between a PDA and a laptop.  If I were to buy one, it would be the smaller one, since if I needed one it would be for mobility.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:31:23 pm »

Actually, this one seems even more attractive to me. I understand you get a screen resolution of 1024x600. The original one uses 800x480 with black borders around it. Of course, I have not handled either of them, but judging by the pictures, the slight size increase accommodates a significantly better screen. Haven't seen a final prize for the US, though (which may change my opinion).
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:44:21 pm »

The slightly larger screen will keep application windows within the viewing area.  On the ultra mobile pc's with 7" screens many of the applications will lose status bars or selection buttons below the screen.  It can be dealt with by pressing the ALT key and repositioning the window with the mouse.  This is a problem for some users.  I would think that switching to icewm would help out somewhat with that.  The newer versions will have faster processors as well (the 900MHz cpu actually clocks at about 600MHz according to some reports that I have read).  No big deal there as far as I am concerned.  I just want to know if I can get VL running inside it.  Grin

I did some research on these and found one for sale with Windows Vista on it.  Apparently there is a stripped down version of Vista floating around the 'net.  It's called Vista Lite.  Odd thing to do when one can just run linux or xp if you need windows for some reason.

The thing that gets me is the big jump in price tag between an Eee pc with a 7" screen and one with a 9" screen.  Not worth the dinero if you ask me.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: