VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 12:23:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: New test website  (Read 83912 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: March 11, 2008, 01:38:59 am »

Well, after the hacking that occurred last friday we have a new site up, There is not much there yet as far as content but would like some opinions and observations concerning new site before I spend more time on it. Please be honest and fair. Reconstructing a website is a very time consuming process especially from scratch. Anyone willng to contribute content please pm me............thanks vec
http://vectorlinux.com/website2
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:25 am »

What's there look realy nice Vector. 
Though did try my user name and password and that did not work as yet.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:17 am »

I hope the address changes back to vectorlinux.com though...

Pete

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:45 am »

Cheesy Looking good.  Change the default e-mail when a user signs up Cheesy  Other than that w00t ^_*

-Pete

"To the library"
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:45:05 am »

I realize changes are going to be made, but I have to say that I like what I see.  The color (or colour, depending) scheme is very nice.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:57:33 am »

Those colors present a pleasing combination, but the printed content is a bit short on readability. The black print against the darker gray-blue background does not invite a visitor to read. On the other hand, this is much better than gray print on a black background that I've seen in other places. I would say this, that the legibility factor is such that a reader has to be motivated to read the content. I notice that the lighter blue grades to a purple, and I like to stay away from purple, keep blue. We don't have to emulate ZW, but ZW has nice colors, good legibility.

Suggestion: Change black print (text) on gray-blue background to white, see how that looks.

EDIT: Purple does work well in that color scheme.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:42:06 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
M-ake

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 02:31:27 pm »

As the colors are currently present in the website preview I think they are too dark. Whereas I think the classic blue and different shades of light grey/white would make a good combination. Totally white hurts eyes during nights, so I would prefer not to use fully white color.

Me and rbistolfi were talkin in the irc channel and came up with these:

The concept I made to present the colors I mean:

Or this site
http://caleuautopartes.com.ar/temp/vectorlinux/pkg_search/search/search.php
Both of those are IMO good pointers for the direction the web devs should take. Pleasing yet calmful combination, not unique but...you get the idea.
I am no coder myself but rbistolfi suggested we should take a ready theme somewhere and mod it. Which I think, would save alot of time.

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:33 pm »

Think of it this way: When I stop at a traffic light, I am annoyed by the car in front if it happens to have the turn-signal blinking. The lights and crystals for a turn-signal are so bright these days, it's hard to look directly at the signal from right behind the vehicle, and I actually shield my eyes with my hand. But this intensity is for a purpose, that is, to get the attention of the driver behind who may not be totally awake. Once you have read the text of the VL front page, do you think you will be rereading it often? Why not have a color scheme that catches the attention? In any case, I would like to at least see the text in white, just to see what it looks like, before we move on.

Wolvix site is an example of light print on a dark background.
http://www.wolvix.org/

EDIT: That blue and gray page isn't too shabby. Maybe improve the font for better effect.
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs225&d=08112&f=concept_art417.jpg
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:30:41 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:01:05 pm »

Looks good to me, with white text. I don't notice any eye strain, as the gray blue is easy to look at. Actually the gray of my browser is more of a strain than the white text. The VL logo doesn't seem out of place with white text, as it did with black text. The white text goes well with the logo, as if the globe is reflecting the white text in a faint halo. Titles in black look good too, legible--I guess it's the contrast and the ambient illumination of white text. I can read the white text 4 feet away from my monitor.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:33:46 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:27:11 am »

Like how it's looking here.. the Menu Items and Web Links on the left may be better with a lighter color though.. perhaps a ligther blue  so they will show up a little better. Good work.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:25:36 am »

The motto "When Choice Matters" represents a myopic view of VL's place among Linux distros. It draws a comparison to a couple other distros, our old nemesis Zenwalk and maybe Absolute. This distinction of "choice" simply doesn't apply to Wolvix, NimbleX, GoblinX, and many of the newer distros. The motto "Discover the Difference" issues a broader invitation and challenge to try VL. It invites a comparison to any and all distros, not just the SW-derivative frontrunner ZW.

Choice is an important criterion in the evaluation of a distro. But do we really want to hang our hat on this one superlative of VL? What about speed, performance, and stability? What about support community?

Then there is the grammatical sense. When exactly does choice matter? I'm guessing it matters all the time, so this qualifier is perhaps rhetorical. "Discover the Difference" is in the imperative mode, and unambiguously urges action.

I'm in favor of reinstating "Discover the Difference" as the VL motto, with no dots. (It's a complete sentence, not just a fragment, so it doesn't need dots.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:18:23 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pete

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:53 am »

What about something that will make users want to use there old computers erm what I mean is I just got an old computer which was running 98 now it runs VL:Light really fast ^_^

So maybe a moto that says something like "Remember your old computer? .. Vector Linux does"

Glad to see the site is up and running, I like it.  But what happened to the login system?

HTH
-Pete

"To the library"
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:53 am »

If the links remain dark blue, then a mouse-over should cause the link to turn a brighter (lighter), even luminous blue. Right now, a mouse-over or click causes the link to turn black.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:12 pm »

I neglected to mention that I actually like the dark blue links. Is the mouse-over color now yellow for all links?

EDIT: Ya, that will work.

Please consider putting 'Speed, performance, stability' in bold (white).

discover the difference
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:35:18 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:02:43 am »

Wow, nice home page.

typo: spelling of lightning, no 'e'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: