VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 12:32:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: New test website  (Read 83914 times)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 09:55:26 pm »

Although I _somewhat_ agree with granny in terms of design dislikes, I have come to the conclusion that you (gg) have a TERRIBLE way with words.  I've often found myself taken back by your remarks that are (I assume) meant to provide help, or give thanks for help.  You should really consider phrasing your words more constructively and less accusationally (even if it takes rewriting some sentences - as I have just done Wink ).

The website2, as it stands right now, feels very plain - and the color scheme is a bit dark.  Don't get me wrong, I like dark site designs but this one feels wrong.  As gg stated, black text on dark background doesn't contrast well enough.  I think the gradients are too drastic; the dark blue (upper color) in the gradient could be a bit lighter and less saturated with a slight blue-gray tone - almost a darker version of the lower color.  If I had to make the decision right now on what to do, I'd say we start looking at other templates with different color schemes and layout.  The great thing about our situation is that we are not bound to anything right now - it's time to play and experiment.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 01:52:51 am »

Naturally I can not walk away...I discovered that if I google the page on my fresh install the page is first white with three questionmarks then the page loads correctly. first, "discover the difference", then the logo, then the rest of the banner, then paypal...I did this six times and then bookmarked the page.
when I bookmark the page it will not load the paypal pic. I have to delete the entire cache then remove the bookmark and close the browser. then I can have a new session, google the page and it loads correctly.

I mentioned the fuzzy cd. does not inspire a click of the link
I do not like purple but you cannot please everyone
I think the cream should be white but there are bigger fish to fry
I am content to know I can visit the page correctly and will not link for now
cheers

Everything Is Relative
pevsner

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:18 am »

Hi all,

New vector user here, I'm sticking with it cause its simple and fast.
I had a very quick look at the colours for the website.
and came up with this.
http://www.jllewellyn.f2s.com/vector_test/VectorLinux.html
Personally I think you should stick to just one logo thoughout.
All the best with the design.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 11:43:40 am »

Although I _somewhat_ agree with granny in terms of design dislikes, I have come to the conclusion that you (gg) have a TERRIBLE way with words.  I've often found myself taken back by your remarks that are (I assume) meant to provide help, or give thanks for help.  You should really consider phrasing your words more constructively and less accusationally (even if it takes rewriting some sentences - as I have just done Wink ).

I read over my post and can't find anything accusational in it. I didn't attack anyone. I was just stating my opinion of the current design. Maybe "repulsive" was a bit too strong, but that is the way I find the site and if I do, for sure some others will. Lots of very talented designers come up with Web sites that some people can't stand. Is it forbidden to say that?

Anyway, if anyone felt offended by what I posted, I'm sorry you took it that way. I didn't mean to offend or hurt anyone's feelings.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M-ake

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:22 am »

Just to be clear about the concept art pic, it was to demonstrate color palettes. Just as I said in the post: "The concept I made to present the colors." Not fonts/text granny....

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 01:03:47 am »

thank you for all your posts critique's etc. I think the one thing that stood out here is nobody really liked the dark theme. I have changed the colors a great deal in fact I made an effort to sort of match the forum theme and the website for consistency the logo background is still in flux as I ran out of steam. So again your comments are welcome and any specific color ideas are welcome..........just a quick note to granny...........thanks for being honest hope you like the present theme better..........Smiley
cheers,
Vec
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 04:44:49 am »

I for one like the new lighter theme much better.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2008, 04:55:39 am »

1. Text should be black. Right now, links have more emphasis than text.
2. Links should be blue (the same color as text is now), with dark blue mouse-over.
3. Paragraph headings ("Welcome to VectorLinux" "CD Store is open for business" "New Website") can be blue, same blue color as links.

new test website
http://vectorlinux.com/website2/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:33:32 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 07:14:53 am »

At bottom left main page : "Web Links". I think these are redundant. Anyone can find great Linux links now elsewhere. I suggest we remove this section altogether and concentrate on informing people about VL.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:30 pm »

The new theme looks MUCH better.  That's a huge improvement.

I decided to look at it in Opera for a change rather than Firefox.

The VL Editions page has some hard line breaks so there are some very short and don't look good at all.  Also, isn't it VL Light rather than VL Lite.  I thought the consensus was that Lite==crippleware.

Nice to see the mirrors list back on the Downloads page.  I still think the beta downloads (VL64, VL Light) should be there.

Thanks for including me on the Reviews page.  I'm not at all sure having reviews older than 5.x is useful.  Nobody is going to look at VL 2.5 anymore.

I think the list of features would look better as a bulleted list.

I'm sure I'll come up with more suggestions but I do want to compliment the progress made so far.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:50 am »

ok burned the midnight oil again to come up with a good logo background..........work on the rest later............it's not real flashy but effective and looks nice.......comments?
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 06:41:57 am »

Text in blue seems "washed out" in comparison to black font of links. This has the effect of conferring better definition and emphasis on the links. The reverse should be true, that is, the text should be in black and stand out most, whereas links should be in blue and secondary. If links are rendered blue, then the mouse-over can be dark blue, or use underline for mouse-over. I also suggest that paragraph headings (eg. Welcome to VectorLinux) be blue, same color as links . All the above, just like the forum Home page, incidentally.

The italics of "discover the difference" are the right touch.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:00:57 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 09:18:08 am »

I'm going to disagree with most of the last post.  I think the dark blue on light blue looks very good.  I don't think theblack stands out that much more or draws attention away from the main text.  I like the current color scheme and I wouldn't change it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 05:44:08 pm »

I like the new version much better. The contrast is greatly improved and the design looks clean. I'd like a larger font for the paragraph text and a bit more space between the lines.

I just tried to check the page again, but it seems the site has been hacked yet again.

To the person(s) doing this, let me say you're a cat turd in people clothing. Proud of yourself? WHY??? Talk about screwed up values! Also, you are very juvenile and need to grow up.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:46:10 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:24 pm »

Hacked again! What the ---- ?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: