VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 07:34:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Support for Adaptec AHA-1542CF  (Read 1399 times)
Xillie

« on: March 11, 2008, 08:17:30 am »

Hi,

I'm looking for support for this once popular and great ISA hardware.

My plan is to attach a SCSI scanner to it, how far will I get with VL?

thanks,

Xillie
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:53:32 pm »

Support for the Adaptec AHA-1542 is compiled into the kernel, so the kernel should recognize it. The only other remaining issue would be whether your scanner is supported by the SANE package. You can find out at http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl - just enter the information requested.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
graemv

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:14:30 am »

So that explains why I could not find the aha1542 module !

However I can't get it to recognise my SCSI disks  ...

If I do a man -k scsi , it says there is:

lsscsi(Cool

But man lsscsi  / man 8 lsscci  or just lsscsi  all fail.

... I tested the SCSI setup was OK, by unplugging the IDE disks ... it boots (win95) from the SCSI (so cables/ termination  etc are all OK)

During the boot ... it takes AGES probing the SCSI bus for devices  .... felt like termination problem ... maybe the wrong SCSI
driver is probing?
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:30:44 pm »

So that explains why I could not find the aha1542 module !

However I can't get it to recognise my SCSI disks  ...

If I do a man -k scsi , it says there is:

lsscsi( 8 )

But man lsscsi  / man 8 lsscci  or just lsscsi  all fail.

... I tested the SCSI setup was OK, by unplugging the IDE disks ... it boots (win95) from the SCSI (so cables/ termination  etc are all OK)

During the boot ... it takes AGES probing the SCSI bus for devices  .... felt like termination problem ... maybe the wrong SCSI
driver is probing?

Hi, Graemv!

The reason that "man lsscsi" fails is that the lsscsi package isn't installed on VL by default. However, you can install the Slackware-12.0 package of lsscsi on your VL 5.9 box with no problems whatsoever. Here is a link to the lsscsi download page from the Slackware package browser: http://packages.slackware.it/package.php?q=12.0/lsscsi-0.19-i486-1

Once you've found a Slackware mirror that is geographically close to you, download the package. Once you've downloaded the package, open a terminal, become root via the su command, and then type installpkg lsscsi-0.19-i486-1.tgz at the prompt (assuming your current working directory is the same one where the lsscsi package was downloaded.

You might want to post the output of lsmod in this thread, partly so that you can see what modules are loaded but also so that we can see whether any additional SCSI-related modules are being loaded.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: