VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:59:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New site location  (Read 2901 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: March 11, 2008, 05:24:01 pm »

Hello All:
We have an offer on the table at a very reasonable price. SQI will host all but the forum, totally secured and backed up nightly.In the event of a failure you just revert to the last known date and all done. In view of the last 3 hacks my vote is "YES", and now.
Thoughts
Regards
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »

If SQI hosts our website, will our current host still host our forum?
If yes then it makes sense to me.

Uelsk8s
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »

What are the downsides??

Price? Uptime? Service? Bandwith? Response time?

If money is the concern I'll chip in for an annual fee. $20??
osnv

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:40:41 pm »

In response to uelsk8s question, yes the forum would stay where it is. We are only talking about moving the main site to a Plone based solution integrated into our commercial enhancements such as Enterprise level full text search with rich criteria option and full site nightly backup on our backup servers.

Also, as for Freston's question, our commercial clients are high-tech telecom equipment provides. They are very demanding. I am sure that VL users will be very happy with speed, up-time, functionality, etc.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »

We have to do something this current situation is simply not working. SQI will host for free. We all have other responsibilities and do not need the extra effort needed. To link back to the forum would be a solution. Anyone see a downside to that?
Regards
Darrell

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:44:50 am »

I'm all for making the site more secure. I cam't explain the level of aggravation I get when I find out our website has been hacked. A big YES from me

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:24:55 am »

My vote is yes.

Bigpaws
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:05 pm »

alternatively have both so V is always up somewhere..is SQL hackproof.. the old can be simple, a screenshot,text w/ sys req, list of links..what ever is best for V is best for me.

Everything Is Relative
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:40:57 am »

metvas & osnv,

We have a few people that are ready to start working on the new site with plone.
What version of plone do you have running there?
how long would it be before the site is setup so we can begin working on a nice VL theme there?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:51:50 am »

First we had to decide what to do. Now we have to make up the template, that will begin next week.
The content can be populated at our leisure as we will run both  sites until the home site is finished.
V3.0 .
The template will be made up based on several sites already existing taking attributes of each to create out own.
HTH.
Any further info will be posted as needed, just ask.
Thxs
metvas

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:43 am »

Will we be able to modify the template and change themes?
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 09:16:45 am »

We are very fortunate to have the technical skills of a Plone developer to work with us for “Free”. Whatever we come up with can be migrated to our template and can be modified from there.
Hope that answers your question?
Regards
metvas

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:02:18 am »

Considering the security problems the website has faced and the lack of an adequate backup I'd have to say the move to SQI sounds like a good idea to me.  Of course, I don't know all the facts as I'm not privy to the current hosting arrangements.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:46:38 am »

Hello All:
We have the basics of the Plone site being set-up tomorrow. We will be opening it up to any Plone folks who are interested in participating. No rush, no hard commitment. Just PM me with a user name and psswd and we will open it up for you.
Regards
metvas

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48:32 am »

metvas:  Thanks for all your hard work on this.  I think I'm one of many in the VL user community who are glad to see this move forward.  If I had any plone experience at all I'd offer to help but there are lots of areas where I can help the VL community more (packaging, testing, helping newbies) and limited time in my schedule.

Thanks again!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: