VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:28:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with my VL????  (Read 2957 times)
Bjrnarlinux

« on: March 12, 2008, 11:16:08 am »

Hi!

I've recently installed VL on my Acer Aspire s100. Now i like VL a lot, but i have a problem. When i turn it off, it won't boot properly later. I get to the screen with the penguin, but after that it just stops.

What the hell is wrong?!?!

please help!

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:28:39 am »

A little more info would be of help  which version of V.L. are you using..

it may help to try reinstalling Lilo  you can do that by putting the install disc in and boot from it.
when you get to the screen that says install the third choice (I think is install Lilo) try to reinstall and see if that helps.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:07 am »

I'm running standard gold 5.9. I've tried reinstalling Lilo. Didn't work.

I get to the screen before login, and then it stops...

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:58 pm »

Can you describe the "screen before login"?  Is it the text user interface with the ascii penguin (top-left is a penguin and to the right is VectorLinux and other system information)?  If so, are you prompted and allowed to enter the username?  If so, then enter your username information as normal and once logged into the shell type 'startx' and hit enter.  This should start XFCE and if not then you should some error messages; does XFCE start?  If not, then it sounds like a graphics driver problem.  The next step would be to downgrade to the 'vesa' driver and then work back to a more specific driver.

If I'm thinking of this correctly then you see lilo upon rebooting, and you select what to boot (i.e. VectorLinux).  Then you either see a bunch of text scrolling by or some sort of graphical screen indicating that VL is booting.  Then you get to the black screen with a semi-graphical penguin in the top-left with system information to the right of that.  This is where you get stuck?
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:13:18 pm »

Yes. I get stuck with the screen with the penguin and system information.

Leon Trotskys last words
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:52:02 am »

Yes. I get stuck with the screen with the penguin and system information.

You should be able to do as newtor  posted in his post,  sign in with your usr name and password then type startx at the prompt.. if the Video Drive is not set up properly then you will have to run vasm from the command line and follow the instruction for setting up you Xserver again.  Try using the one that says something like Autoconfig with out questions that should set X up for you and you can make changes later should you want different resolutions , etc.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:54:44 am »

If you can boot to the text log in and you can enter your user name and password  then startx for the desktop
 Then you need to go to vasmcc/ xwindow/ bootmode and choose gui rather than text log in..item2/3 are text and 4/5 are gui..4 is desktop gui log in which boots to the blue graphical log in with session and user choice.

I just switched to text and rebooted and sure enough text mode.

I switched to gui and low and behold the gui log in..

this is a choice at install time that may have been overlooked

.if you are freezing and cannot type your username and enter then you have another issue. perhaps your xorg config needs redo and as mentioned vesa mode may get you started.

you say this happens after you restart..what happened when you started?

Everything Is Relative
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »

So i'm back trying VL again. As you sure can tell i like VL alot to try it once more despite my issue last time i tried it. Now i've tried the startx command but it tells me that no screens are found. What's up with that. Sorry for the threadomancy, but i'd like to get VL to work!

Leon Trotskys last words
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:37:34 pm »

Please try the basic 'vesa' driver for X to see if you have better results.

One method of changing them out easily is (as root):
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And then, as normal user, try 'startx'

Hopefully X starts properly with the vesa driver.  If not, then you can try the fbdev driver instead of vesa to see if it has better results.

Like this (as root):
cp -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf-fbdev /etc/X11/xorg.conf
answer 'yes' when prompted to overwrite.

And then, as normal user, try 'startx'

Also, can you post the output from 'lspci' (as root).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:40:43 pm by newtor » Logged
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:02 pm »

Like kc1di suggested, you can run "vasm" (or "vxconf", which will bring you to the relevant prompts directly).
This might help in setting up X.

An alternative is to run "xorgconfig", which sometimes picks up on different configurations, but you might have to answer a lot of questions.

But start with the vesa driver first, like newtor said.
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:36:58 pm »

Neither the vesa or the fdbev configurations seem to be working. It just gives the same old answer: No screens found. I'm at my wits end, it seems nothing will work. Please help!

Leon Trotskys last words
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:08:32 am »

Is it possible you didn't install X during the install procedure?

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:52:37 am »

Checked it, I installed X during the installation. Must be something else.

Leon Trotskys last words
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 03:25:56 pm »

try running "X -configure"as root  after it completes run "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new"
If that works you can copy it to X11 "mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:52:12 pm »

Whenever I get a crazy result after an install, I figure my install cdrom is bad and try another.  About half the time that fixes the problem.  However, I don't think I have ever tried to install it on an Acer.  I generally install Vector 5.9 on old hardware.

If that doesn't work, I try, as indicated, the Vesa driver (boot to tui and then vasm as root).  (or, if I'm already in the gui, init 2 from root for the vasm change then init 4 to see if it works).  that works about 20% of the time.

If that (install with a new disk and Vesa) doesn't work, I change the partitions from 3 (swap, boot and home) to two (swap and boot).  That works about 5% of the time.

If that doesn't work, I use the computer for target practice.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: