VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 11:24:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VIA Epia Drivers (CX700M2) - No idea to deal with the Sources  (Read 1947 times)
Rumo

« on: March 17, 2008, 01:00:25 pm »

Hi,

i tried to build the latest available Driver (available at viaarena.com) for my Via-Epia-Platform (for Graphics).The kinds of errors displayed in the standard-out after calling make aren't easy to follow. A lot of stuff seems to be missing. Has anybody successfully build these drivers in the past ? I'm looking forward to receive an answer :-)

With best regards,

Rumo  Cheesy

P.S.: My Distro is Verctorlinux 5.9
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:26:23 pm »

Rumo,

Do you have the source code for the kernel on your box? If you don't, you'll need it to build the drivers. You can download the source code from http://www.kernel.org/.

HTH some,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Rumo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:31:35 pm »

Hi John,

only to check that i'm understanding your post correctly:

I need the full Kernel-Sources for the Kernel-Version that's currently installed on my system ? Is that correct ? What do i have to do with the Kernel-Headers and stuff that are actually on my hdd ? Overwrite them ? Erase them ? Make a new Directory to store them ?

And what means HTH some ? :-)

Greetings from Germany

Rumo
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:24:45 pm »

Hi John,

only to check that i'm understanding your post correctly:

I need the full Kernel-Sources for the Kernel-Version that's currently installed on my system ? Is that correct ?

Yes.

What do i have to do with the Kernel-Headers and stuff that are actually on my hdd ? Overwrite them ? Erase them ? Make a new Directory to store them ?

No. The headers from the kernel that was on your VL iso are needed so that programs requiring glib can reference them.

And what means HTH some ? :-)

HTH some = Hope this helps some. :-)

John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Rumo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53:34 pm »

Hi John,

i checked my Distro right to realize, that the Kernel-Sources had already been installed. Again I read the Installation-Docs delivered with the Drivers Sources carefully. All Stuff that's needed is installed.

I started the compiler by calling a script named 'makedriver'. It fails. Theres trouble with a file named 'overlay.c'.

overlay.c: In function 'Upd_Video':
overlay.c:2799: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
overlay.c: At top level:
overlay.c:7450: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
overlay.c:8790: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
make: *** [overlay.lo] Error 1

I checked the Source included in this file an i found this:

(Starting at Line 7450)

#ifdef XFree86Server
unsigned long Upd_Capture0(PVIDDATA pVidData, RegionPtr clipBoxes, viaPortPrivPtr pPriv)
#elif defined(__KERNEL__)
unsigned long Upd_Capture0(PVIDDATA pVidData)
#endif /* XFree86Server */

I think, that none of the definitions was met. So there's no definition for the function. The compiler can't locate an
identifier (it's only a following '{') and throws an error. I tried to remove the ifdef-stuff an defined the function's head
the manual way. I tried both definitions. Both caused new errors. Any ideas ?

Greetings, Marc
Rumo

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:56 pm »

Hello,

after a few days I'm back again with a solution.

http://www.openchrome.org/

The openchrome-project provides a good and stable driver. Take the sources and just make them.
After installing the driver change the driver in your xorg.conf to "openchrome".

The MPEG2-Acceleration works fine, 3D-Acceleration works, too.

Marc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: