VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VIA Epia Drivers (CX700M2) - No idea to deal with the Sources  (Read 2299 times)

Rumo

Hi,

i tried to build the latest available Driver (available at viaarena.com) for my Via-Epia-Platform (for Graphics).The kinds of errors displayed in the standard-out after calling make aren't easy to follow. A lot of stuff seems to be missing. Has anybody successfully build these drivers in the past ? I'm looking forward to receive an answer :-)

With best regards,

Rumo  :D

P.S.: My Distro is Verctorlinux 5.9

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
Re: VIA Epia Drivers (CX700M2) - No idea to deal with the Sources
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:26:23 pm »

Rumo,

Do you have the source code for the kernel on your box? If you don't, you'll need it to build the drivers. You can download the source code from http://www.kernel.org/.

HTH some,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

Rumo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:31:35 pm »

Hi John,

only to check that i'm understanding your post correctly:

I need the full Kernel-Sources for the Kernel-Version that's currently installed on my system ? Is that correct ? What do i have to do with the Kernel-Headers and stuff that are actually on my hdd ? Overwrite them ? Erase them ? Make a new Directory to store them ?

And what means HTH some ? :-)

Greetings from Germany

Rumo

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 07:24:45 pm »

Hi John,

only to check that i'm understanding your post correctly:

I need the full Kernel-Sources for the Kernel-Version that's currently installed on my system ? Is that correct ?

Yes.

What do i have to do with the Kernel-Headers and stuff that are actually on my hdd ? Overwrite them ? Erase them ? Make a new Directory to store them ?

No. The headers from the kernel that was on your VL iso are needed so that programs requiring glib can reference them.

And what means HTH some ? :-)

HTH some = Hope this helps some. :-)

John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

Rumo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:53:34 pm »

Hi John,

i checked my Distro right to realize, that the Kernel-Sources had already been installed. Again I read the Installation-Docs delivered with the Drivers Sources carefully. All Stuff that's needed is installed.

I started the compiler by calling a script named 'makedriver'. It fails. Theres trouble with a file named 'overlay.c'.

overlay.c: In function 'Upd_Video':
overlay.c:2799: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
overlay.c: At top level:
overlay.c:7450: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
overlay.c:8790: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
make: *** [overlay.lo] Error 1

I checked the Source included in this file an i found this:

(Starting at Line 7450)

#ifdef XFree86Server
unsigned long Upd_Capture0(PVIDDATA pVidData, RegionPtr clipBoxes, viaPortPrivPtr pPriv)
#elif defined(__KERNEL__)
unsigned long Upd_Capture0(PVIDDATA pVidData)
#endif /* XFree86Server */

I think, that none of the definitions was met. So there's no definition for the function. The compiler can't locate an
identifier (it's only a following '{') and throws an error. I tried to remove the ifdef-stuff an defined the function's head
the manual way. I tried both definitions. Both caused new errors. Any ideas ?

Greetings, Marc

Rumo

Hello,

after a few days I'm back again with a solution.

http://www.openchrome.org/

The openchrome-project provides a good and stable driver. Take the sources and just make them.
After installing the driver change the driver in your xorg.conf to "openchrome".

The MPEG2-Acceleration works fine, 3D-Acceleration works, too.

Marc