VectorLinux
July 21, 2014, 10:59:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [UTTERLY SOLVED] Webcam Help Please  (Read 3003 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: March 19, 2008, 01:53:41 am »

Hi everyone,

Here's the story:  I'm now (finally) in the market for a webcam.  I've seen a lot of troubleshooting tips in these forums for various webcams, but I haven't been able to find anything about a webcam that is known to work well and (relatively) easily out of the box in VL.  I know there must be some out there, so if anybody is using a webcam that they would recommend to me to buy, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I already know how to find information about Linux compatible hardware in general, so that's not a problem.  I would simply prefer to buy something on the recommendation of a Vector user rather than just know that something is Linux-compatible.

Thanks,
Tom

P.S.  Right now I'm using Sykpe, and I just had some nice video-in from friends in Australia.  If somebody wants to recommend other software for voice/video over IP, that would be fine.
P.P.S. It's because I trust the people in here, and I've always gotten helpful advice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:12:55 am by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:08 am »

Hi Tom, I recently went in to some problems compiling the gspca driver, but soon discovered I was generating them Smiley.
That driver is used for a wide range of webcams, I am using it on a cheap Logitech QuickCam I/O or something:

Code:
Bus 2 Device 2: ID 046d:08d9 Logitech, Inc.

The problem was in my kernel and after restoring the vl default everything went just fine. The cam works as well as a cheap one can (you need really good light for this one, it will not forgive anything), I tried it with aMsn, Skype2, Kopete, mplayer, and something else I can't remember. There are some nice ones if you want better quality, but I have not experience with them.

HTH, Rodrigo.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:25:26 am »

Thanks rbistolfi,

You (along with others, of course) are a great help to me once again.

I bought a Logitech webcam, plugged it into a USB port, then opened Terminal and issued the 'lsusb' command.

This is what I got:

Bus 1 Device 2: ID 046d:0992 Logitech, Inc.

So VL recognized it as present.  The camera uses the uvc driver, which I have downloaded and compiled (with no error messages).  I haven't yet figured out how to get the driver working, but I'm confident that given time and some work, I will.

If anyone knows anything about the uvc driver and how to get it working, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:16 am »

you are welcome Tom. Try modprobe uvcvideo as root.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:13:58 am »

you can test the camera with luvcview also
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:18 am »

rbistolfi and uelsk8s,

Thanks very much gentlemen!  All my base are belong to you!!  What!?!

Seriously, the webcam works beautifully now, thanks to your help.  This is why I love Linux, Vector Linux, and the VL community.  What could have been a huge pain turned into a very easy install.

I owe you guys a beer or something.  Come to St. Louis and I'll treat you to dinner at a nice restaurant (we have a few  Cheesy).

Tom

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:13 am »

Oh, I would love to visit St. Louis. It has everything I like: a mythical river, a rich cultural history -I bet you still can listen some good jazz there-, lovely buildings, great science and industrial development. And I could feel like in home, judging by the crime rates Grin
I am glad the cam is working, btw.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:21:21 pm »

rbistolfi:

Interesting that you know so much about St. Louis!  Just to make note of a few things: 1) Almost all the industry is gone except for the beer (Anheuser-Busch), 2) The river is still here the last time I checked  Grin, 3) The live music is good if you know where to go (e.g. my next door neighbor is bass guitarist in a band which plays at a nearby bar 3 times a week), 4) There are as you said many beautiful buildings, including some amazing homes, also if you know where to look, 5) There's a gigantic steel arch on the riverfront: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/tomh38/StLouisArchSmall.jpg?t=1206044090
and 6) Though the crime rate is high in certain areas, if you stay away from those areas generally nobody will slit your throat in order to steal your shoes   Undecided.

You're truly welcome to come visit.

Tom

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:26:09 pm »

Though the crime rate is high in certain areas, if you stay away from those areas generally nobody will slit your throat in order to steal your shoes   Undecided.
East St. Louis...?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »

mikecindi:

In East St. Louis (which is actually in Illinois, across the river, as you know), people will shoot you in the head to steal the $.25 out of your pocket, which if you think about it is kind of wasteful of ammunition, considering the price of ammunition, unless of course you already shot somebody else to steal the ammunition.

You're also welcome to visit any time.

Tom

P.S. Wear your kevlar vest.  Undecided

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:11:44 pm »

mikecindi:

Wait ... was that a Simpsons reference?

If it was, the answer would be, "Is there any other St. Louis?"  Cheesy

http://homepage.mac.com/thefinn/simpsonwar.html

It's way down the page, but if you search the page for "St. Louis" you'll see it.

Tom

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »

Cool

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:21:24 am »

rbistolfi:

Interesting that you know so much about St. Louis! 

Well, It happens to be in a pretty famous country Grin. Between Hollywood movies, my interest in jazz music and some innate good taste for the architecture from the 50's Cheesy, I have made a nice picture of San Luis for myself. The river appears in some good pieces of the American literature, and it has the best name ever, probably.
In some sense, the generic description fits to Buenos Aires too. I always missed the black community here though. We owe that to some Argentinian president who for some reason sent the black people to a stupid war against Paraguay like a million of years ago.
The arch is beautiful, I surely could score a nice soccer goal on that Cheesy

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »

rbistolfi:  two things

1) Now I feel the urge to learn about Beunos Aires, about which I know little.

2) You mentioned black people, so I'll tell you something about St. Louis you probably don't know.  If you're ever on the bus in St. Louis, feel free to talk to the black people.  Almost all of them are going to work, school, the doctor, the grocery store, etc., or going home from one of those places.  DO NOT talk to the white people on the bus.  Very many of them are one or more of the following:  on drugs, mentally ill and off their medication, looking for a fight, sexual predators, and so on.  This has changed a little since gasoline prices are so high now, but not much.  I use public transportation a lot, but most white people here don't.  They drive their cars and sport utility vehicles or whatever, and leave public transport for "those people." 

I'm white and I endorse this message.

Tom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: