VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 04:48:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xfce4 + Symbol lookup error + odd thing  (Read 1804 times)
joris20

« on: March 19, 2008, 05:04:15 am »

1. Xfce4
i have it installed, it worked just fine, until my linux CRASHED (yer, sounds impossible but thats exactly what happened)
there was an error detected on my /dev/hdb2 so it said i had to try the "e2fsck <device>" command
i did (device= /dev/hdb2 ) and everything went back to normal (i usually work in blackbox)
but now i want to re-open Xfce4 (its easier when managing files) and all it does is give a black screen and my Xfce4 mouse indicator. it doesn't even show the Loading bar (doesn't load at all :S )

2. my friend told me i could use Thunar in Blackbox to manage my files easily as well.
so i type "thunar" in xterm and then it gives this error:

joris:$ thunar
thunar: symbol lookup error: thunar: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_lock

so i'm like "grrrr" and i decided to re-install Xfce4
i start firefox and look for it. i click to DL (it was FTP) but ofcourse then i get the .run-file in text format in my browser.
no problem, we have gFTP for something right?

joris:$ gftp
/usr/X11R6/bin/gftp-gtk: symbol lookup error: /usr/X11R6/bin/gftp-gtk: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_lock

at that moment i remembered +- the same error when trying to start Pidging (which never worked)

joris:$ pidgin
pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol: gtk_window_set_focus_on_map

You may have noticed that "gtk" appears in all 3 error messages.
i believe the G2K (or was it GTK :-? ) library is the one i tried to install before installing (and trying to run) pidgin.
when pidgin didnt work, i uninstalled both (uninstalled G2K with the "make distclean" command)

and THATS when all troubles started.

that G2K/GTK thingy isn't clean... can anyone help me with this please? my friend finds it incredibly funny cuz he constantly kinda r*pes his system, not getting any complications, while i try to install a stupid library, messing up the whole thing >.<

3. odd thing

after the installation and deinstallation of the library, i got a weird message while starting up Linux:

computer has not been checked for 24781 days, check forced   (<-- it normally does that every 20 unchecked days, but now it did it this saturday AND sunday. 24781 days is +-70 years wth?)

it didn't do it again when i stared my computer today, but i thought i'd let u know Tongue Grin

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15:51 am »

Can you tell us what version you are running?
From the lines it seems to be a version earlier than 5.9.

joris20

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:46:42 am »

yer it's most likely more than a year old (not completely shure tho)

where can i check that?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:39 am »

You can know the exact version with cat /etc/vector-version

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
joris20

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:37:54 am »

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard 12-16-2006

so whats next? Grin
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:02:32 pm »

I would suggest an upgrade. 5.9 is a much more complete release with lots of upgraded software and many more bugs fixed.

joris20

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:10:41 am »

so...how exactly do i update it?
cuz i only see the complete 5.9 which is like 300/600MB and i only just want an UPDATE Sad

sry but i'm a newbie on Linux Sad
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:33 am »

There is no way to upgrade from 5.8 to 5.9... There were major changes between the 2 releases... You need to download the ISO, butn it on a CD and run the installer.

joris20

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 06:52:58 am »

ok thanks.
i hope that'll help.

how do i cleanly uninstall the 5.8 ?
i also have a version of windows on my comp and i dont want it to be erased...

is there a format option in the install CD?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 07:21:50 am »

the installer will ask you if you wish to format the drive ... that will wipe everything out of there and install the new iso

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: