VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 04:07:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free space reported wrong  (Read 2377 times)
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:27 pm »

I am trying to use Graveman to burn a data CD with 5.8. There is still 7.4 Gigs of space available on my home partition but Graveman reports insufficient space to create an iso.

I have tried removing redundant files and very small files to be burnt. How do I make grave man see the proper amount of available space?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »

How is your drive partitioned?  Graveman
maybe using another partition instead of
the /home partition.

Bigpaws
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:27:03 pm »

root partition shows 2.6/4.1 in use 1.5 Gigs free
home partition      19.1/26.6       7.4 Gigs free
and hda4             2.9/6.8        3.9 Gigs free

After I made the first post I successfully burned a DVD.
Now I am really confused. I've never had this problem in the past.

<edit> It still won't burn CD's
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:28:07 pm by InTheWoods » Logged
mrbumpy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:51:25 am »

a few thoughts..

1. does your dvd/cd burning make use of /tmp ? - Is that full of very old junk which can be deleted?
2. It may seem strange but do  $ du /home -xsh   AND    $ df -h /home       give the same output?
If they are very different, it is possible that there may be some files which are still taking up disk space but are no longer accessible.
e.g. 
$ xine bohemian_rhapsody.mp3  &
pause it while it plays
$ ls -l bohemian_rhapsody.mp3
Oh look there it is
$ rm -rf bohemian_rhapsody.mp3
$ ls -l bohemian_rhapsody.mp3
ah hah, it has gone
but unpause xine and find that the data must still be there (and taking up diskspace) because it is playing happily.

I have seen this happen on webservers when a log gets deleted while apache is still up. This file can get very large without being easily detectable. Stopping the process which is hanging on to the file will free up the diskspace.

3. Lastly - and it is a long shot - but   $ df -i
I have also seen insufficient space messages when the filesystem has run out of inodes. On  home system, look for tens of thousands of very small files. On a webserver, look for some joker who has run a script to make a directory, enter it, make a directory, enter it.... and so on .

Good luck - hope you didn't need that CD a month ago ;-)
Andy (mrbumpy)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: