VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: startx - causes high CPU usage.  (Read 2088 times)

sdk

startx - causes high CPU usage.
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »

Hello.

I got Toshiba Portege 3505 laptop, which works really well with VLinux combined with Fluxbox.
Recently I removed 'bootsplash', 'xdm' and 'kdm-small' packages to get rid of those useless GUI.

Now when my Linux starts it informs me that I it got no 'kdm, xdm or gdm' packages to start from, which is fine. I login normally, type 'startx' and my fluxbox shows up. Everything would be fine, but I got 'conky' monitor running and I noticed that just after starting X my CPU usage reaches 30%. I checked the 'ps aux' and 'top' - there were absolutely no processes using so much of my CPU power.

I started to kill processes to look for a change, and here is the most important part of my post:
- when I kill process '/usr/bin/startx' owned by 'root' my CPU usage drops to 0 - 3% as normal.

I'd like to know what may cause it - I am able to write a script to kill it just after X start, but I am curious why it behaves like that.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Regards.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: startx - causes high CPU usage.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:17:40 pm »

Does the 30%CPU continue, or is that during and just after the loading of your desktop? Show us ps aux after everything has loaded. Is it still 30% - the reason being is 30% is about right for loading X and a window manager, but it should then settle down to 3-5% on idle. Maybe conky is not updating very often?
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

sdk

Re: startx - causes high CPU usage.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:28:40 am »

Thanks for reply. Just after 'startx' - 'ps aux' will show that there is *no* process which uses more >0.5% of CPU. The '/usr/bin/startx' is shown like it was using 0.1% so posting 'ps aux' here won't explain anything, only on 'top' I see high CPU usage, but also - *none* of the processes reaches so high CPU usage. When I kill the process 'kill -9' usage drops to normal rates. My conky works well, actually it just helped me to notice the weird behaviour, for monitoring system I use tested tools, like 'top'.

Definitely '/usr/bin/startx' causes it, but high usage is not shown in any command.