VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:45:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Some really basic HowTos help to a real dummy...  (Read 10951 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:03 am »

I have added language switch option to panel, and of course there is only English language.
I have also checked xorg.conf file, and it doesn't have content you talk about. Some of it is available in xorg.conf-vesa though.

So, now i got no idea how to make my Linux type in Russian and Romanian. That's two languages which are a must for this workspace.

That section is in your xorg.conf section.  Your keyboard wouldn't work at all without it.  Please check again.  Since your system doesn't have the horsepower for KDE you really only have two choices:

1>  Learn how to read and edit configuration files -- a fairly steep learning curve here -or0-
2>  Choose a Linux distribution that has easy to use internationalization and localization.  This is still a major weakness for Vector Linux.

My advice (which people will hate me for giving) is that Vector Linux is the wrong distribution for you.  Xubuntu would be much easier.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:12:57 am »

5.  To enable the X Cyrillic fonts please install a package called fontfix from the testing repository.  It fixes a known bug with fonts being installed but disabled.
I have searched Gslapt but couldn't find fontfix in packages list.

You need to enable the testing repository to find it.   In gslapt you need to click on the Edit menu, choose Preferences, click on the Sources tab.   Testing is the fifth source down from the top.  Check the box for that one and then click on the Update icon in gslapt.  You'll be able to find it then.

Once the install is done go back into the Sources list and disable testing again.  The last thing you ever want to do is a system upgrade with testing enabled.

Install and configure the xscreensaver package.  It's in the repository.
Well, its actually already installed, but i can't really find information on how to lock station by using a key combination. If you know in windows its windows logo+L key. Is there such in Linux?
Thanks.

Yes and no.  There is no such preconfigured key combination as xscreensaver isn't an integrated part of Linux but rather an optional package.  You can configure a key combination in Xfce to act that way using the xlock command.  You can read up on how xlock works first by using this command in a terminal window at the command line:

Code:
man xlock

Typing in xlock (with no options) at a command prompt will lock your terminal immediately (same as logo+L in Windows) until you enter a password.

To automate this (i.e.: lock up after 5 or 10 minutes) run (from a terminal window):

Code:
xscreensaver-demo &

That will bring up a GUI window to configure your screensaver.  That program should be in the Vector Linux menu but it's not so you do have to start it from the command line.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:17:15 am »

I did and looks like skype is... everywhere... Smiley
reception:$ whereis skype
skype: /usr/bin/skype /usr/X11R6/bin/skype /usr/bin/X11/skype /usr/X11/bin/skype /usr/share/skype

So. after all i can't really use skype.

Oh yes you can!  What the Skype developers did was place symbolic links to multiple places to make sure that Skype would be in your path no matter how you had Linux configured.  From a terminal window (command line) just type in:

Code:
skype &

and it will run.  That's it!

To add it to the Vector Linux menu in Xfce you still need to create a /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop file like I described before. 

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:17 am »

Here is the first question:
I have second hdd which is on ntfs fs. Also i have cd rom, dvd rom and floppy drives.

For the removable media (CD, DVD, floppy) it's done automatically by HAL or VL-Hot.  If you insert a CD or DVD an icon will appear on your desktop automatically.  For the floppy just insert a disk and click on the icon on your desktop as well. For the NTFS drive all you need to do is click on the icon for a hard drive on the panel (bottom right on your screen) which will pop up a list of available drives.  Click on the drive you want (something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sdb) and it will mount and a Thunar (file manager) window will open showing the contents of the drive.

How can i make sure all these devices automatically mount during system start?

You woudn't want to do that for removable media (CD, DVD, floppy).  Let the system handle that automatically.

If you want the NTFS drive mounted every time you boot the system, you will have to add the word "auto" to the settings in the /etc/fstab file for that drive.  Sorry, this is another item Vector Linux doesn't handle in any of the GUI configuration tools.  (Yes, tools in some other distributions do handle this.)  To learn how to edit the /etc/fstab file and how that file works you can open a terminal window and type:

Code:
man fstab

I would like to create icons on desktop for these devices, to browse them when i need.
Would anyone help me "bring" second hdd and optical drives to desktop?
I mean, i don't even know how to access the hdd to have my hand on all my data important for continuing my job.

Optical drives are removable media and they should be handled exactly the same way as a CD or DVD-ROM drive.  Insert the media and an icon should pop up on your desktop.  You really shouldn't have to do anything more.

If you permanently mount the NTFS drive you can access the data from Thunar.  To create an icon for each drive is easy in GNOME or KDE.  In Xfce you still need to go to the command line AFAIK and create a .desktop file in the Desktop directory.  Again, you can copy one that's there and alter the contents.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:39:31 am by caitlyn » Logged

Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:01 am »

That section is in your xorg.conf section.  Your keyboard wouldn't work at all without it.  Please check again.
My apologies, it was there. Yesterday i was a bit tired... Undecided
I have configured it and now i have 3 languages. Fellows from chat room helped me so much. Guided me a lot.

Choose a Linux distribution that has easy to use internationalization and localization.  This is still a major weakness for Vector Linux.

My advice (which people will hate me for giving) is that Vector Linux is the wrong distribution for you.  Xubuntu would be much easier.
You know i just received same kind of advice yesterday and in 2 hours Xuuntu was up and running on my machine, while Vector was down and deleted.
I started looking for easier solutions in Xubuntu for those tasks i had in Vector.
My opinion is Xubuntu is not more friendly than Vector, it my newbie experience.
And besides, Xubuntu gave me even more surprises than Vector. For example Firefox just did not want to install flash and java plugins, giving me the choice to install them manually.
In Vector i have 3 browsers, with spell checking, flash and java working nicely.
I also love Vector for its faster performance and pleasant face.
Actually if there ware no those guys in chat room I'd leave Vector. They gave me new hope. Grin
There are much more pros for Vector against Xubuntu, but its not Vector vs. Xubuntu thread. Grin
I think i will stick to Vector until i will become expert in Linux distro installation and configuration.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:24:49 am by Azmandius » Logged

The beat never fades!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 01:20:12 am »

To create an icon for each drive is easy in GNOME or KDE.  In Xfce you still need to go to the command line AFAIK and create a .desktop file in the Desktop directory.  Again, you can copy one that's there and alter the contents.
Thank you caitlyn,
Luckily in the chat room i got a step by step guide from nice fellows on enabling and mounting hdd and optical media drives.
Only one thing i am still trying to digest, its creating shortcuts on desktop that lead to CD/DVD and Floppy drives. Shortcuts are not for me, its for those even dummies users in my office.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:26:12 am by Azmandius » Logged

The beat never fades!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 03:30:55 am »

Typing in xlock (with no options) at a command prompt will lock your terminal immediately (same as logo+L in Windows) until you enter a password.

To automate this (i.e.: lock up after 5 or 10 minutes) run (from a terminal window):

Code:
xscreensaver-demo &
Typing xlock worked fine, but i would like not to automate this after 5 or 10 min. but to have a key combination for manual station locking.
Thanks.

The beat never fades!
boneygamba

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26:12 am »

but i would like not to automate this after 5 or 10 min. but to have a key combination for manual station locking.
Thanks.
I would like to contribute if i may.
I believe that a ctrl-alt-delete key combination will bring up the xscreensaver immediately in xfce.  It does on my computer which is running VL 5.9.

Regards

Paul
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 10:34:23 am »

Paul:  That isn't automatic in Xfce.  You have to program the keyboard combination.

Azmandius:  I'm glad you got help to get localization with Vector Linux working and you were able to stick with the distro.  What I was saying was that Xubuntu has nice GUI tools for that and you made it seem that Russian/Romanian support was the most important issue for you.  I personally prefer Vector to Xubuntu for all the reasons you mentioned and more.  I just don't think it's as user friendly as it needs to be just yet.  Hopefully in 6.0 it will be.

Desktop icons for CD and DVD-ROM drives should appear automatically whenever you insert media.  There is no icon when the drive is empty.  You really shouldn't have to do anything at all to get those icons to appear.  Is that not working for you?

To set up a key combination for xlock go into the Vector Linux menu and select Settings->Keyboard Preferences.  You will see a list of keyboard sequences that are already programmed.  All you have to do is add one for xlock.  It can even bey logo+L if you want.  Smiley

I hope this helps.

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 10:41:57 am »

Luckily in the chat room i got a step by step guide from nice fellows on enabling and mounting hdd and optical media drives

If you saved that in any fashion, perhaps you could add here as a "Howto", One on one instruction is hard to come by on any forum !
No worries if you don't.

Thxs
regards
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 05:57:38 pm »

Paul:  That isn't automatic in Xfce.  You have to program the keyboard combination.

Not so. Control-Alt-Delete is preconfigured in XFce to bring up the screensaver and lock the desktop. You have to give your user password in order to get back to the desktop. Try it. You'll see what I mean, unless you've changed the default shortcuts. It can be changed if someone prefers.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:22:37 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 06:16:34 pm »

If you want the NTFS drive mounted every time you boot the system, you will have to add the word "auto" to the settings in the /etc/fstab file for that drive.  Sorry, this is another item Vector Linux doesn't handle in any of the GUI configuration tools.  (Yes, tools in some other distributions do handle this.)

VectorLinux *does* provide a GUI tool for automounting of NTFS drives. It's VASM (or VASMCC), FileSystem, Mount Partitions, Add. The tool should give you a line something like this in /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda2   /mnt/win-c  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

This will automatically mount your NTFS drive. No need to add "auto." It won't give you a desktop icon, but you can work with the drive through the File System icon that's already installed on the desktop. If you want easy access to Windows C, for example, or even a specific directory in Windows C, you can drag an icon from the large pane in Thunar to the left column in Shortcuts view.

A drive added through VASM/VASMCC will mount automatically. If you *DON'T* want this to happen (you don't want the drive automounted), add
noauto
to the line in /etc/fstab. Mine looks like this:
Code:
/dev/hda2   /mnt/win-c  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec,noauto 0 0

--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:21:08 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 08:48:05 pm »

Not so. Control-Alt-Delete is preconfigured in XFce to bring up the screensaver and lock the desktop. You have to give your user password in order to get back to the desktop. Try it. You'll see what I mean, unless you've changed the default shortcuts. It can be changed if someone prefers.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek:  It doesn't work on my systems and I haven't changed the default keymappings.  I checked the list and you're right about one thing:  it's there.  It just doesn't work.  If I change it from xflock4 to xlock only *then* does it work on my system.  Obviously YMMV.

On the ability to add NTFS mounts in VASM:  Thanks.  You've taught me something that I probably wouldn't have found for myself since I don't use WIndows.

Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 12:16:13 am »

but i would like not to automate this after 5 or 10 min. but to have a key combination for manual station locking.
Thanks.
I would like to contribute if i may.
I believe that a ctrl-alt-delete key combination will bring up the xscreensaver immediately in xfce.  It does on my computer which is running VL 5.9.

Regards

Paul
Thank you.
It worked. That's exactly what i was looking for.

The beat never fades!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 12:31:34 am »

I just don't think it's as user friendly as it needs to be just yet.  Hopefully in 6.0 it will be.
Well, that i have to agree with. I lost many nerves configuring Linux for the last 3 days.
Anyway, i feel like i have to stick with it. I know, it will come to me, slowly but will.

Desktop icons for CD and DVD-ROM drives should appear automatically whenever you insert media.  There is no icon when the drive is empty.  You really shouldn't have to do anything at all to get those icons to appear.  Is that not working for you?
Not really.
When i insert media in ROM i have to click on device on task bar to mount it and it opens OK, but there definitely no icon pointing to that CD/DVD ROM appear on desktop. Desktop stay unchanged.

To set up a key combination for xlock go into the Vector Linux menu and select Settings->Keyboard Preferences.  You will see a list of keyboard sequences that are already programmed.  All you have to do is add one for xlock.  It can even bey logo+L if you want.  Smiley

I hope this helps.
Useful one. Thanks. Will try that.

The beat never fades!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: