VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:23:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Some really basic HowTos help to a real dummy...  (Read 11718 times)
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:38 am »

Luckily in the chat room i got a step by step guide from nice fellows on enabling and mounting hdd and optical media drives

If you saved that in any fashion, perhaps you could add here as a "Howto", One on one instruction is hard to come by on any forum !
No worries if you don't.

Thxs
regards
metvas
Oh, i feel so bad i did not do that.
I would need that for other 4 machines in the office.
I guess i was to concentrated on solving the issue...
Next time i surely will.
I guess creating a such step by step guide for Linux configuration would be something that would attract many people to install THIS distro and not the other Smiley

The beat never fades!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:55 am »

Paul:  That isn't automatic in Xfce.  You have to program the keyboard combination.

Not so. Control-Alt-Delete is preconfigured in XFce to bring up the screensaver and lock the desktop. You

have to give your user password in order to get back to the desktop. Try it. You'll see what I mean, unless

you've changed the default shortcuts. It can be changed if someone prefers.
--GrannyGeek
Yep, it works the way you said. Nice, love it.

The beat never fades!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 01:23:32 am »

If you want the NTFS drive mounted every time you boot the system, you will have to add the word "auto"

to the settings in the /etc/fstab file for that drive.  Sorry, this is another item Vector Linux doesn't handle in

any of the GUI configuration tools.  (Yes, tools in some other distributions do handle this.)

VectorLinux *does* provide a GUI tool for automounting of NTFS drives. It's VASM (or VASMCC),

FileSystem, Mount Partitions, Add. The tool should give you a line something like this in /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda2   /mnt/win-c  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

This will automatically mount your NTFS drive. No need to add "auto." It won't give you a desktop icon, but

you can work with the drive through the File System icon that's already installed on the desktop. If you

want easy access to Windows C, for example, or even a specific directory in Windows C, you can drag an

icon from the large pane in Thunar to the left column in Shortcuts view.

A drive added through VASM/VASMCC will mount automatically. If you *DON'T* want this to happen (you

don't want the drive automounted), add
noauto
to the line in /etc/fstab. Mine looks like this:
Code:
/dev/hda2   /mnt/win-c  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec,noauto 0

--GrannyGeek
In my case, to access second HDD after mounting it, i had to go via File System tool to folder mnt then

hdb1, as there was content of my HDD. That was the only way to access it, by navigating through those

folders.

The beat never fades!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 05:19:09 pm »

GrannyGeek:  It doesn't work on my systems and I haven't changed the default keymappings.  I checked the list and you're right about one thing:  it's there.  It just doesn't work.  If I change it from xflock4 to xlock only *then* does it work on my system.  Obviously YMMV.

Curious. But that's computers for you.<g> I haven't changed the keymappings either. Maybe somebody can explain it, but I can't. Actually, I don't use a screensaver and have been annoyed numerous times when I hit Control-Alt-Delete in a terminal while X was still running (intending to reboot) and instead the screen lock came up. I give my password and it goes away. Now that we've talked about it, I think I'll try to change the key mapping so that won't happen. Wait--I just did it.

One keyboard shortcut that doesn't work for me is Control-Escape to bring up the menu. For me, nothing happens. So I guess we both have default shortcuts that don't work.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:38:31 pm »

In my case, to access second HDD after mounting it, i had to go via File System tool to folder mnt then hdb1, as there was content of my HDD. That was the only way to access it, by navigating through those folders.

If I understand correctly, you would have do this the first time. But once you find it, if you're using Thunar (the XFce default file manager) you can drag a shortcut to /hdb1 into the left column under the horizontal divider line. Just navigate to the desired drive and drag and drop the icon to the left column under the divider line. Then when you use Thunar and you want quick access to that drive, just double-click on that icon in the left column and it'll open directly on that drive and you won't have to go through the folders. You can drop any directory in that shortcut column, so use it to make things easier for yourself.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 07:44:19 pm »

GrannyGeek:  It doesn't work on my systems and I haven't changed the default keymappings.  I checked the list and you're right about one thing:  it's there.  It just doesn't work.  If I change it from xflock4 to xlock only *then* does it work on my system.  Obviously YMMV.

Curious. But that's computers for you.<g> I haven't changed the keymappings either. Maybe somebody can explain it, but I can't. Actually, I don't use a screensaver and have been annoyed numerous times when I hit Control-Alt-Delete in a terminal while X was still running (intending to reboot) and instead the screen lock came up. I give my password and it goes away. Now that we've talked about it, I think I'll try to change the key mapping so that won't happen. Wait--I just did it.

One keyboard shortcut that doesn't work for me is Control-Escape to bring up the menu. For me, nothing happens. So I guess we both have default shortcuts that don't work.
--GrannyGeek

OK, I just tried CTRL-ESC and sure enough it works just fine on my system.  That really is strange.  I wonder if the fact that I am using an Israeli keybaord (Hebrew/English) with a us keymapping is why my results are different from yours.  Hmmm...

I do like having xscreensaver installed anywhere other than home, particularly on a desktop system.  That way is I do walk away from the system someone else can't use my session and account.

Oh well... We obviously both answer questions based on our experience.  It's interesting to learn that some behaviors in Xfce aren't consistent across all systems even though we are running the same distro, the same version of Xfce, and haven't altered the relevant settings.  I'm quite sure that isn't a good thing but I'm not at all sure how I'd file a coherent bug report with the Xfce developers to explain it in a way that would give them any hope of reproducing the issue.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 08:48:19 pm »

I dont think that is a bug. Many things can change the behavior of the system, I am sure many of other people keyboard settings will not work on my system with my ~/.Xmodmap. Looks more like something like that than like a bug, but I am just guessing, I could be mistaken, happened before Tongue

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:26 am »

In my case, to access second HDD after mounting it, i had to go via File System tool to folder mnt then hdb1, as there was content of my HDD. That was the only way to access it, by navigating through those folders.

If I understand correctly, you would have do this the first time. But once you find it, if you're using Thunar (the XFce default file manager) you can drag a shortcut to /hdb1 into the left column under the horizontal divider line. Just navigate to the desired drive and drag and drop the icon to the left column under the divider line. Then when you use Thunar and you want quick access to that drive, just double-click on that icon in the left column and it'll open directly on that drive and you won't have to go through the folders. You can drop any directory in that shortcut column, so use it to make things easier for yourself.
--GrannyGeek
Done that, thanks.
Wasn't easy to find hdb folder though. I had to be told where it is to find it. Smiley

The beat never fades!
fuelinux

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:33 am »

I also need Russian layout sometimes and Georgian far often ofcourse. So, I'm going to explore this issue.
I think that's what we need as regard to keyboard layout
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin
http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3592.0
I'll install and test it and get back to this thread.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:25:06 am by fuelinux » Logged

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:56 am »

fuelinux:  What you're looking at is already in Vector Linux.  It's the keyboard switching applet I described earlier.  The problem Azmandius ran into is described on the Xfce Goodies web page you linked:

For now the keyboard layouts cannot be configured from the plugin itself, they should be set in the XF86Config file or some other way (e.g. setxkbmap).

The problem with setxkbmap is that using it is often as hard as or harder than just editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.    For example, the output of setxkbmap -print on my system looks like this:

Code:
caitlyn:$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+il:2"    };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

xkb_symbols is where my ability to switch between U.S. English and Israeli layouts is defined.  Geometry also has to be correct.  KDE has a tool to set this correctly in the GUI.  Sadly Xfce does not.  Wolvix has a tool for this that their developers added to their Control Center.  There is no equivalent for vasm or vasmCC.  It's been promised for a future release but it doesn't exist yet.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 07:35:39 pm »

I also need Russian layout sometimes and Georgian far often ofcourse. So, I'm going to explore this issue.

To set multiples kb layouts you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root with the text editor of your choice. Find the section looking more or less like this:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "es"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
    Option         "Xkbvariant" ""    ## KEYBOARD_VARIANT!
EndSection

Then edit it as follows:

Code:
Section  "InputDevice"
    Identifier      "Keyboard0"
    Driver          "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "en,ru"    ## LIST ALL YOUR DESIRED LAYOUTS HERE
    Option         "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle" ##YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR SHORTCUTS HERE
EndSection

Save the file, close all your X apps and restart the X server with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Then you can change the layouts with ctrl+shift or the keyboard shortcut of your choice, and you can use the Xfce keyboard applet as well.

HTH 

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 07:27:59 am »

I also need Russian layout sometimes and Georgian far often of course. So, I'm going to explore this issue.

To set multiples kb layouts you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root with the text editor of your choice. Find the section looking more or less like this:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "es"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
EndSection

Then edit it as follows:

Code:
Section  "InputDevice"
    Identifier      "Keyboard0"
    Driver          "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "en,ru"    ## LIST ALL YOUR DESIRED LAYOUTS HERE
    Option         "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle" ##YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR SHORTCUTS HERE
EndSection

Save the file, close all your X apps and restart the X server with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Then you can change the layouts with ctrl+shift or the keyboard shortcut of your choice, and you can use the Xfce keyboard applet as well.

HTH 
Very useful post, exactly what i was looking for.
Thank you a lot!

The beat never fades!
fuelinux

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 12:41:14 pm »

rbistolfi
Option         "XkbLayout" "en,ru"
Done so, but I didn't know how to switch between layouts (couldn't figure out "good-old" Win-style Shift+Alt will do the trick Cheesy). Thanks for explaining Smiley I'll test it as soon as I get to my office PC

caitlyn
fuelinux:  What you're looking at is already in Vector Linux.  It's the keyboard switching applet I described earlier.

Indeed. I should have read better. My bad.
Offtopic: your articles about VL on o'reily site were "last shot" convincing me to choose Vector. Bow down and thank you Smiley

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »

@fuelinux:  Thank you for your kind words.  Let's put it this way:  the distribution, the developers, and the community are what convinced me.  I just reported my experiences.  I don't deserve any credit.  The VL developers and community do.

Azmandius

The beat never fades!

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 08:04:45 am »

Hello again,
I am moving to Linux the second machine, and here i have second NTFS partition that i need to keep NTFS and mount it on boot.
I have tried mounting it using:
Code:
defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec,auto,force
but it did not work.
Couldn't mount it.
I would like to ask for some assistance on accomplishing that.
Thank you.

The beat never fades!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: