VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 08:00:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless US Robotics MAXg USB - Solution?  (Read 1136 times)
MadPuppy

« on: March 23, 2008, 11:45:50 am »

Hi all!

I am a first day newbie.
I have an old laptop, and on that I installed the VL5.9 Light. It works great!

What does NOT work however, is my US Robotics USR5421 Maxg USB dongle.

I worked through part of the how-to, and searched a bunch of sites through google and such.
During that process I ran into a site that seems to provide a driver that is supposed to work with exactly my wireless USB dongle, and thus make a long process a lot shorter!
http://www.jooz.net/rndis/
The problem is: it seems to be written with expert Linux users in mind, because it seems like a secret language to me.

What I do NOT ask (at the moment) is a translation into noob-nees.
What I would appreciate is some insight into the possibility (or lack thereof) of this site actually providing me with a solution.

Looking forward to learning more about Linux.

MadPuppy

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:04:45 pm »

try running VLwifi from the network menu and see if it can connect first.
MadPuppy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:04 pm »

Did the VLwifi, and it probed for hardware.
Asked if I wanted to insert a Windows driver into ndiswrapper. Don't know what will happen or if the .inf I have here is all I need. So I clicked cancel.
Result: 'no wireless card found'.

I did follow the how-to up to the command:
modprobe module-name (I used bcm43xx)
I was uncertain if what I found was in fact the module name, and the result of modprobe was only:
laptop:/~
root:#

The how-to states I should not get an error, which I didn't... I think. But I thought I would get more than just the prompt, so it feels like an error anyhow.

While typing, I stumbled upon 'System Profile and Benchmark'.
There I find: bcm43xx Broadcom BCM43xx wireless driver as the first item under Kernel Modules.

In all my searching for the module name, I found the site mentioned in my previous post. But if indeed the situation I described just now qualifies as "no error", then I guess I should just follow the how-to (as it seems to be written in clear noob-nees).

Please confirm or point the right way if possible.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »

In linux getting no response from a command is Generally a good thing.

the bcm43xx modules is loaded and may work for your card at this point you can either
try VLwifi again or finish the howto and see if the driver will work.
MadPuppy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:56:57 am »

Not much luck so far. Ran through the how-to, but native as well as ndiswrapper offer no solution to me.
All seems to be ok. But the end of the story (so far) is a no-go on the dongle.

Also, after reboot, it seems like half of the work is gone too. The files that were edited, adding lines with wlan0 etc are still edited, but device is gone. Some things that didn't give an error before, do give an error now.

There is a ton of things I could say, and probably as many things that could be wrong and changed to try to get it working.

But for now the weekend is over, and work is ahead, a lot of it. So I'll let it rest for now, and get back to it when time allows it again.
At that time I will first try it from step one once more, and try to find out more. Then I will get back to this thread wirelessly, or with new questions.

Thanks for helping so far.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:58:43 am by MadPuppy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: