VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 08:09:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista SP1  (Read 8059 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: March 23, 2008, 05:27:20 pm »

For all you Microsoft Windows lovers here in the Vector Linux forums  Wink, here's a little bit of news you might not yet have seen.

http://itnews.com.au/News/72401,windows-vista-sp1-wreaks-havoc-on-some-pcs-users-complain.aspx

Tom
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:32:37 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:47 pm »

how surprising

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:43:23 am »

Here's a link to some more-or-less baseless speculation about Windows 7:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080323-evidence-mounting-windows-7-going-modular-subscription.html

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that it's going to suck.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:52:20 am »

One modular OS to rule them all, let's say.

lol ... nice comparison

also:

Unsurprisingly, Microsoft already has a patent on a "modular operating system" concept.

cf. 'prior art'

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:07 am »

I was recently told by someone I know that I should get over my "prejudice" and "reconsider Windows and Outlook Express".  When I pointed out the security problems inherent in Windows she told me she's "been lucky".  No she hasn't.  She's been the victim of identity theft and has had to clean virii and all sorts of nonsense off her computer repeatedly.  There's no arguing with some people, though...

Anyway, I sent her the article quoted at the top of the thread.   Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

Here's a link to some more-or-less baseless speculation about Windows 7:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080323-evidence-mounting-windows-7-going-modular-subscription.html

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that it's going to suck.

I'm Still laughing over this one Smiley  Modular O.S. indeed--- never seen an M.S. product I would call modular yet.  Just try to sperate the modules and see what happens to the base system.. it crashes big time. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:02:24 pm by kc1di » Logged

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01:23 pm »

I spent a full day trying to get vista to recognize a sandisk mp3 player, then get the transfer interface to work. Then get the file extension to work. First time ever on vista. Suck? well yes...then some. Will never ever try anything on vista again ever. How this is being used out there is so beyond me it scares the heck out of me as to what folks think of IT.
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:32 pm »

Um, yeah ... despite the fact that a few people *cough* are saying that Vista is great and that they've never had any problems with it, Microsoft really dropped one in the bowl this time.

I don't use Linux because I dislike Windows; I use Linux because I like Linux.  Nevertheless, I don't like Windows.  Frankly, I preferred DOS (despite its limitations and flaws).

If there were no Linux, I suppose I'd be using FreeBSD.  If there were no FreeBSD, I suppose I'd just go back to doing to what I was doing before computers were ubiquitous.  Or maybe I would use a Mac, though I'm not sure I like the gotta-drink-the-kool-aid and make-an-offering-at-the-altar-of-St. Steven attitude that a lot of Mac users have.

I wonder how that GNU/Hurd project is coming along ...

Tom

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:02 am »

Um, yeah ... despite the fact that a few people *cough* are saying that Vista is great and that they've never had any problems with it

I think you already know my views on that Tongue  That said, I'm not going to rush out and install SP1 just yet - no reason to fix what ain't broke.

though I'm not sure I like the gotta-drink-the-kool-aid and make-an-offering-at-the-altar-of-St. Steven attitude that a lot of Mac users have.

I know I don't like it.

Y'know, I actually wonder if some folk exaggerate their Windows problems, be it for humourous effect or to push some kind of agenda (lulz) because if not, I'm forced to conclude that computers and/or their Windows OSs are sentient, and they KNOW when you don't like them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:40:02 am by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 05:00:30 am »

Ignorance Is Bliss: I dont know nuthin about no Vista.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:02:06 am »

Well, BlueMage ...

If you say you're not having problems with Vista, I'll take your word for it.  I won't even go into the stories of all the people I know who have had problems with it; that would be pointless.  As you say, SP1 for Vista doesn't seem like such a great idea right now, since things are working well for you.

WRT computer sentience, I dunno ... sometimes I wonder.  Wink

Tom

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:24:10 am »

Had a close friend who bought a new Dell that came pre-installed with Vista.  He had it for two weeks and told them that he wanted it switched back to XP which the did with no questions.. Of course I tried to get him to try Vector. but he wouldn't.. maybe someday he will.  But I know he thinks Vista is junk.  Unfortunately MS will force the issue by stopping support for XP eventually.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:49 am »

I can say that my laptop, for work reasons, is a Windows machine.  I currently use Vista 32-Bit Ultimate.  I did upgrade to Service Pack 1 and am glad for it.  I instantly noticed an increase in both performance and stability.

So far, I'm pleased with the service pack.  Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with Windows Vista.  Does it have problems?  Sure, but what operating system doesn't.  That being said, I'm obviously not a "Windows Only" person as I frequent this site and my desktop runs Vector 5.9 as a base. :p

In the end, give credit where credit is due.  Microsoft has done a good job with the service pack as far as I have seen.

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:47:02 pm »

I only use Linux at home now, and only run Windows XP at work.  Since I ceased to work for a recycling charity I don't have much need to keep up with Windows, but I suppose in some ways I should do..... Seems an awful faff though to buy it and reset up my main machine just so I can check out what Windows is doing... I suspect it will be quite some time before work decide to change to Vista - they still run some machines on NT4.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:56:49 pm »

WRT computer sentience, I dunno ... sometimes I wonder.  Wink

See, that might be why I don't have problems with computers - I just seem to be able to apply the magic touch and they work again - because they KNOW I like them.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: