Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL 5.9 on laptop doesn't recognize CD drive  (Read 1949 times)

VL 5.9 on laptop doesn't recognize CD drive
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:06:45 am »

I'm using a Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 with a Mobile Pentium MMX processor and 153mb of ram. It isn't mounting CD's when I put them in the CD drive, (although the computer spins them when I first insert them, as you would expect when a computer is first trying to read a disk).
Trying to get to the CD isn't easy, either. When I click on the desktop icon in the system tray, nothing happens. I have to open the file manager, then click the desktop icon to get to the cd icon, but then clicking the icon doesn't show anything.

Does anyone know any thing I can do to get computer to recognize the cd drive? Thanks.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL 5.9 on laptop doesn't recognize CD drive
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:05:17 am »

Are you using HAL or VL-Hot to manage your removable media?

If you are using HAL, it *should* auto mount your data CD's when inserted. But to be safe, try this in a terminal as root

Code: [Select]
df -hYou should see your mounted filesystems there. Cd's normally mount to /mnt/cdrom.. or /media/<CD_LABEL> if handled by HAL. If you do not see either of these in the output, then try this

Code: [Select]
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdromIf you get no errors, try navigating to /mnt/cdrom and see if your cd's contents are in there..
if you get errors, post them here.