VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:14:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Vector...  (Read 1707 times)
BullGates

« on: March 24, 2008, 04:27:45 am »

Hello,

I was a "from the beginning user of Zenwalk", even when it was called MiniSlack. On that time I've tried a lot more distros and I went always back to Zenwalk. I've suggested a long time ago ideas like some of the "goods" now implemented in Vector (like crux ports)  and I quite enjoy the results. Vector is much on the way I always defended: give the user the means to build packages that can be used by all the community. In Zenwalk I understand the way they made rules to build packages, but it's hard to build them according to those rules unless you spend a lot of time learning them.

Due to professional duties I had to stick to Windows for the last year, now I'm back to Linux and for now I'm quite happy with Vector - it's not as "eye candy" as Zenwalk but it's much more flexible and quite user friendly... Congrats to the developers and all the community!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:41:51 am »

I was a "from the beginning user of Zenwalk", even when it was called MiniSlack. On that time I've tried a lot more distros and I went always back to Zenwalk. I've suggested a long time ago ideas like some of the "goods" now implemented in Vector (like crux ports)  and I quite enjoy the results. Vector is much on the way I always defended: give the user the means to build packages that can be used by all the community. In Zenwalk I understand the way they made rules to build packages, but it's hard to build them according to those rules unless you spend a lot of time learning them.

Grin Fancy meeting you here. I recently found a package that you built for Zenwalk, just updated it. Mind you, so far, no-one has done much testing. Maybe I'm the only person who needs Dar.

Building packages in Zenwalk has become much easier - the buildpkg package helps a lot, and makes it much easier to produce rule-compliant packages. I have been wondering if it could be adapted to Vector, since it does make cleaner packages than Cruxports often manages.

Due to professional duties I had to stick to Windows for the last year, now I'm back to Linux and for now I'm quite happy with Vector - it's not as "eye candy" as Zenwalk but it's much more flexible and quite user friendly... Congrats to the developers and all the community!

Its good to see you back. I'm currently running both Vector and Zenwalk. It is difficult to make a decision as to which best suits me. In some respects, Zenwalk is cleaner and more professional in its presentation. On the other hand, Vector comes closer to suiting my needs without installing extra packages - it includes drivers for my laptop wireless, has HPFS filesystem support out of the box, uses Seamonkey as standard.

Both are excellent. In many ways, I would like to see some of the things in Zenwalk in Vector, or some of the tihings in Vector in Zenwalk. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay with Vector.

paul.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:10:41 am »

Welcome to Vector.. Think you'll like it even better than Zen when you get use to it. 

Cheers!

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:15 am »

hi BullGates, are you named after the ZAngband unique monster Bull Gates? just curious

for those not in the know

http://www.thangorodrim.net/zangband_spoilers/monsters4.html

He may not code worth a dime, but he certainly knows how to make money.
This silly evil creature moves normally. He is always created sluggish. He is magical, casting spells which create traps; 1 time in 6. He can swim, open doors, bash down doors, and pick up objects. He resists fire and poison. He cannot be confused, slept, or teleported. He is ever vigilant for intruders, which he may notice from 400 feet. He will carry up to 4 good objects. He can charge to steal gold with damage 5d5, charge to steal items with damage 5d5, spit to blind with damage 10d5, and drool on you to disease with damage 8d5.

those were good times

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
BullGates

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:00:06 pm »

toothandnail:
good to see someone notice us long time ago, I do like to contribute to the community but nowdays sometimes it's just not possible to do it. Yeah I did that DAR and KDAR packages along with many other contributions, I'm still using Zenwalk and now I also use Vector, I quite enjoy all the Slackware derived distributions and Linux in general... But I have to work with windows - mostly on top of Vmware ESX (at work, where I'm responsible for such infrastructure where I can still practice some Linux skills) ;-)

kc1di:
thanks!

Epic Fail Guy:
I don't really know, but I may say I'm quite old using this nick - since 1995 or so, I guess.

I respect all the work and the community spirit around Linux, it's nice to "breath freely" after a day of work... :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: