VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 06:47:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta 3 Bug thread  (Read 17179 times)
kultex

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 04:25:40 am »

sorry - I just recognized, that I am working on Beta 2 - perhaps, there is a difference in the repositories - because in mine, there is no conky package - I am just donloading Beta 3 and will try it
VgnFrnd

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 07:14:44 am »

JWM vs. Fluxbox and WiFi: Weird that there should be any difference. Do you use the same programs/procedures in both environments? What happens if you configure wifi in fluxbox, then switch to JWM?

I thought that was weird, too. Just for giggles, I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled vector fresh. My son has my wifi card at the moment, but as soon as he surrenders it, I'll try the configuration again from within both desktops and report my results.

Alsa mixer: Try opening up a terminal, then run alsamixer and see if you get any helpful error messages.

I've been doing a lot of googling. My chip is a CS4237B, which should be controlled by the Alsa cs4235-9 driver. But in reality, there's no joy. Apparently, the problem is that the interface for this chip is ISA and Alsa does not handle ISA interfaces natively. I have been finding a whole slew of seemingly random advice about how to configure Alsa to play nice with this interface and chip, but nothing conclusive. If anyone has any experience or advice in this area, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:09:06 am by VgnFrnd » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 08:03:23 am »

kultex, the repositories are the same for both versions. You need to enable the "extra" source in gslapt. Click Edit > Preferences > Sources and check the box next to "extra". You may want "testing" as well.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 08:06:33 am »

VgnFrnd, ISA cards can be a challenge. Add "pnpdump" and "isapnp" to your searches.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 10:27:42 am »

I'm unable to resolv names hostnames from VL-Light

My setup:
One laptop (5.9 STD)
One old Desktop box (VL-Light b3)

my /etc/resolv.conf look exactly the same on both machines
Code:
# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
nameserver 192.168.0.1

my laptop can resolve names, but the desktop (with vl-light) can't.

any ideas what else I can check to see what the problem might be?

kultex

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 11:19:13 am »

I have activated both - extra and testing - it is not in.

I tried today to install Beta3 on my Compaq Ipaq (PIII-1000) with the integrated Grafic Chip - the linux driver for it is X86-video-i810 - itseems to be broken - I only get vertical strips - can not see anything.
Puppy works just fine - I also tried the xorg.conf from Puppy - same thing. Same thing with Vector Gold.

after this, I thought to try it with a the package from slackware.it (the only one I could find) - this is even more broken, because it is not recogniced ... Sad, because I really wanted to change to Vector light on my "normal" Computer.

VgnFrnd

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 11:27:57 am »

VgnFrnd, ISA cards can be a challenge. Add "pnpdump" and "isapnp" to your searches.

Thanks for the tip. Problem solved. It was actually quite simple. All I had to do was turn off "quick boot" in my bios, wipe my disk, reinstall vl fresh, tell alsa to configure the cs4235-9 legacy driver during the install, and add acpi=off in lilo when vl requested boot commands during installation.

Now to confirm (or disconfirm) the weird wifi config behavior I reported earlier. Stay tuned to this channel...
VgnFrnd

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 11:29:34 am »

Oh, by the way. I love the fact that vl-lite auto-mounted my usb stick (in jwm). Nice!
VgnFrnd

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 12:32:21 pm »

JWM vs. Fluxbox and WiFi: Weird that there should be any difference. Do you use the same programs/procedures in both environments? What happens if you configure wifi in fluxbox, then switch to JWM?

OK. I seem to have confirmed my initial results. I first tried to set up my wifi in jwm (and remember, this was a fresh install of vl-lite on a freshly wiped hard drive with no wireless configuration during setup). I used the wireless configuration wizard in the jwm's control center to configure wifi. Vector detected and configured the card, but it connected to my neighbor's network instead of mine. No matter how many times I re-ran the wireless configuration in jwm and rebooted, my card would not connect to my network. Running ifconfig in xterm confirmed the situation.

In contrast, when I ran the wireless configuration from the control center in fluxbox and rebooted, the settings stuck and I am now connected to my home network. The settings also stick now in jwm, so I remain connected to my home network even from within jwm. Again, ifconfig in xterm provides the proof.

Weird, huh? But no matter. Now, for the first time since I kicked win98 off my little tank (380z laptop) several months ago, it is happier than ever and fully functional. Grin

Uh-oh, now I'll have to find something productive to do with it!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 12:54:37 pm »

kultex, you're right. I was looking in the 5.8 repo. You may want to post a request for conky here:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?board=35.0
I guess your video works with the vesa driver?

VgnFrnd: Nice job figuring it out. This is why I am not a proponent of the "one app for each task" philosophy. There are too many variables, and having several choices greatly increases the chances of success.

M0E, What does "route" report on your box?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:56:50 pm by nightflier » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 12:56:39 pm »

This is on the VL-Light box
Code:
root:# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »

Networking looks like it should be working then. Have you tried a VL Live CD on the desktop to see if it does better?
VgnFrnd

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 01:19:24 pm »

M0E, What does "route" report on your box?

route gives me my own network.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 01:25:22 pm »

VL-5.9 works fine... but I can't explain why the difference

I'm using a DHCP setup. DHCP server running on the router. Although, the router configuration shows MAC Addresses for both boxes, the router itself shows no hostnames. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.

The router is a D-Link DI-524
Here is what the DHCP Config and log looks like

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »

You could try setting the network up manually:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.102 up
echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

If that works, you can add those lines (except the first one) to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

This is how I set up my network card. It eliminates ifplugd and the dhcpc daemon. Works every time for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: