VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 09:57:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta 3 Bug thread  (Read 17646 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 25, 2008, 06:13:23 am »

Please post any bugs here.

Let us know how wishcd works for your burning needs.

Let us know how the CK kernel works for you.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:41:32 pm »

Ugh, the SliTaz iso downloads at 13kB/s, 40 minutes to get 25MB. I tried to "Blank" the cdrw disk with WishCD, no go.
Code:
cdrecord: Bad option: dev=
Contrary to reviews I have read about WishCD, the "Pick" button did provide a file browser. But when I browsed to the directory containing the ISO, it was not visible, as if the option to view a certain file type was deselected.

Having difficulty with multitasking with Opera, multiple instances of Opera running. If I have a video playing in one window (tab), the video gets shut off if I close another tab. Actions in one window (tab) carry over to other windows (tabs) that are running.

Are Opera fonts different? Fonts don't look so ugly this time around.

I guess I forgot how to access Fluxbox window manager. When I press F1 at login, I get a confirmation that the current session is JWM, but there is no option to select window managers. After pressing F1,  the mouse cursor becomes an "X" and thus becomes ineffectual, as far as I can tell. For login, user cannot  advance mouse cursor to next field by pressing Tab; only Enter advances cursor to next field (Password). If F1 is not the way to call window manager selection dialog, then the login interface should inform user how to call this dialog. The special commands at the login, particularly Exit, do not work per instructions, and it isn't clear that pressing Enter twice applies to all the above commands (?).

Hopefully, we can do better than this, but SliTaz uses Burnbox burning software.
http://burnbox.lazarusid.com/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:35:22 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:51 am »

The SLIM login manager does have quirks and limitations. It is included because of it's small size. Use Enter to advance between fields. Press F1 twice to select Fluxbox. KDM is much more capable.

Opera has been upgraded and yes, it does look better.

Thank You for testing!
drbutcherm

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:13:20 am »

My armada 1750 keeps shutting down because of overheating.  It did it twice during the install, and does it now during normal use.  Is there any way to address that?  I don't know if the fan is not getting activate.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:48:51 pm »

You need to monitor the cpu fan for activity when fixing this problem. On some older computers, the fan cuts off during boot because of competition between the BIOS and the kernel for power management control. The solution is to disable both APM and ACPI in BIOS and to append LILO for APM power management. As a first step, try disabling both APM and ACPI in BIOS. You probably won't be able to shut down properly, but at least the cpu fan won't cut off. Then append LILO for APM power management.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:51:29 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:56:11 am »

Nicely done on this one guys

First impressions
* Opera fonts have been fixed... looks much better
* Performance is getting much more stable

PROBLEMS
* I have 2 network cards here... (both wired) eth1 and eth0 keep swapping on me. Results in network access not auto-starting
* Bootsplash doesn't work here (never has in vl light)
* Boot console looks ugly, I'm unable to get vga=791 to work

Annoyances
* The default font size and window size for xterm is too big

Other than that, All fine here

Booting the ck1 kernel... Works nicely
Not sure what the difference is from that to the other kernel, but both seem to work

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:43:48 pm »

So far everything I've tried works well (which is not too much yet as I just got it loaded). No problems with setup via vinstall-iso, hibernate works as it should on my machine. The fonts are looking okay for me. VLwifi setup the wireless adapter using ndiswrapper as it should (thus I am here now).
Pressing F1 multiple times to switch between WMs is not intuitive as one would expect a dropdown or some such dialog.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »

I'm about to install it into my old box. anyone got any idea why i can't get good video during boot? bootsplash is not working here. i can only boot in vga=normal. which gives me a 400X600 screen during boot. 3 installs all on intel chips giving the same results.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:58 pm »

I have an intel chip on my laptop and I've not had issues so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 06:25:35 am »

By the way, had anyone install intel drivers from intellinuxgraphics? I got https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15278

slim doesn't remember last used window manager. Annoying.

Still _no_ cyrillic fonts.

Running silent, running deep
VgnFrnd

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:39:48 pm »

Eureka! This build installed and booted up flawlessly. Up until now, the only other distro that could handle my ancient thinkpad 380z was DeLi (and I've tried to install - literally - 32 distros on it). Well, actually it was 2. VL Soho also installed, but it was too much for the little machine to run. Meanwhile, the login bug I experienced with previous VL builds is fixed with this build. For more on that (now solved) bug, see: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5738.0.

My next task will be getting this build of VL to detect and configure my wifi and ethernet pcmcia cards. At the moment, they are both lifeless and cold.

I send my thanks and congratulations to the developers of VL-Light (5.9) Beta 3. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:39:08 pm by VgnFrnd » Logged
VgnFrnd

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:54 am »

A couple of follow-ups:

Networking: Both jwm and fluxbox automatically detect and configure my ethernet pcmcia. However, wifi is more complicated. Jwm detects and configures the card, but it will not permit me to change wireless networks, regardless of whether I use the gui utility or the command line. From the gui, jwm accepts all of my inputs, but it doesn't actually change the network. From the command line, my essid entry is not recognized, regardless of which available essid I enter. As a result, in jwm I am stuck with whichever wifi network is picked up first, and I cannot change it. In contrast, wifi works without flaw in fluxbox.

Audio: Here, both jwm and fluxbox function identically. Alsa detects my card and configures it, but still it will not play sound. This is true whether I accept the initial setup that Alsa offers after hardware detection, and it is also true if I ask Alsa to probe for legacy drivers. In both cases, Alsa configures the card, but I cannot play any media. The two media types I have tried are .mp3 files and streaming audio from internet radio. In these cases, xmms is properly called up and the browser plugin reports that it is functioning properly, but there is no sound. With .mp3s, a popup informs me that I should check to see if the card is configured properly and if there is another program blocking access to the card. In all cases, I am unable to run the Alsa mixer. When I try to call it up, a terminal pops open for about 1/10 of a second, and then it disappears.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 11:39:57 am »

JWM vs. Fluxbox and WiFi: Weird that there should be any difference. Do you use the same programs/procedures in both environments? What happens if you configure wifi in fluxbox, then switch to JWM?

Alsa mixer: Try opening up a terminal, then run alsamixer and see if you get any helpful error messages.
kultex

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:51 pm »

I am working on a solarpowered PC - I choose an Alix.1c with a 2 GB Transcend 44Pin Flash Modul as root and a 8 GB CF card as home - it needs only 7W

I tested antiX, Arch and Vector Light - and I like Vector Light most - it is the quickest - and I really like it very much. It gives my little computer the possibility to be a really quick desktop

Now my questions

1) Why Vector light is so big?

antix is 1 GB, fluxbuntu is 1,3 GB, Arch is 1,2 GB Vector light has 1,8 GB - I installed as less as possible and I am now with Openoffice on more than 2 GB. (And it must be Openoffice, because abiword has to much Prblems with MS Office documents)
For my installation root must fit on 1,7GB, because I need also a small swap partition  on the 2GB Transcend Flash Module.

are there installation files left? why all the whireless tools are installed by default?

2) Why you take Opera? it is not faster than Firefox - if you want a lightwight browser take Konqueror Embedded

3) could you add conky - it is a nice tool especially for fluxbox - generallly I have no idea, why you use jwm as default window manager - it is not quicker than fluxbox and I would say quite ugly - it reminds me to Win98 -  here is a screenshot of my adopted fluxbox:
http://www.kult-ex.org/sendnet/vector-alix.jpg

4) skype 2.0 in the repositories is a) not working - b) too big. The Skype 1.4.0.118 package of http://www.slacky.eu works nice

5) openoffice in the repositories is not working too - it opens all the time the OO-start dialoge, whenever you start it

thanks for this release

kultex
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 03:02:09 pm »

1) VL Light is not small. It has the standard VL base that is quite full featured. In this first round, emphasis is on providing a UI suitable for lower power machines without sacrificing functionality.

2) Opera is fast and good on RAM usage. It also provides e-mail, IRC, news and bittorrent clients.

3) Conky is in repo. JWM works well with pcmanfm which enables vl-hot desktop icons.

4-5) Will look into it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: