VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 09:30:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-5.9-STD Beta 2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 12372 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 25, 2008, 09:51:40 am »

Please post any bugs here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:13:08 am »

Generally, I'd rather report a lack of bugs and annoyances - install was so fast I didn't even have time to properly check the Puppy forums for new info on Puppeee.  Setup went through everything, xorg auto-config set proper 1680*1050 res.  Had to manually map mouse buttons 6 and 7.

Sound was not functioning at first - Front was muted for some reason.

nVidia propriety driver installed fine.  HAL is working properly.

Have been stress-testing for the last hour using SMP-enabled Folding@Home - system is still ridiculously fast with several instances of firefox running, some on youtube.

Issue with the repositories - the Extras repo seems to be non-functional.

Will post more as issues arise.

EDIT:  Wow, I'm getting cpu temps in the high 60s, low 70s.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:18:56 am by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
alec

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:55:43 am »

As in beta 1, vcpufreq won't start for me. I have an Opteron170 on Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe. Usually no problem on any distro, including 64bit ones.
I'm a bit paranoid about power saving ansd heat/noise, so can you please look into it? Perhaps I could recompile it or smth.

Code:
root:# vcpufreq
Syntax error in project file.
Cannot preload libraries: Success
sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
gbx: Swapping archive
ERROR: #1: Out of memory
Segmentation fault
Venice://home/alec
root:# vcpufreq-load
Syntax error in project file.
Cannot preload libraries: Success
sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
gbx: Swapping archive
ERROR: #1: Out of memory
Segmentation fault
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:15 pm »

Attempted to load using vinstall-iso on the family desktop but on first reboot there was no OS found (as the first stage of the install didn't include a lilo or grub install). I guess I'll install the old-fashioned way: burn a CD.  Roll Eyes

Later...

Okay, that was fun. Now I have 64-bit Vector Linux! I'll let the kid's play and report anything that they manage to break.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:21:26 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »

New issue has arisen - attempting to run Transmission with 6 torrents.  Will run for a little bit, but if more than three torrents start downloading, it crashes and exits.  Results from running from console are as follows:

Code:
christopher:$ transmission

(transmission:4169): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(transmission:4169): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

transmission: peer-msgs.c:1095: readBtMessage: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted

Uncertain if this is a problem with VL64 or with Transmission.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 03:23:25 pm »

After several hours of a few games mostly ppracer the kid's were impressed. What I noticed was that running VL on a dual-processor machine with 2Gb of RAM is "impressive, very impressive".  Tongue

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »

I loaded B2 on my new laptop and all went pretty well. Unable to get wifi going yet and had to load the latest proprietary package from Nvidia. That went well until I tried to skip out on the GUI then the display gets corrupted and I have to reboot. I went back to the vesa driver for the moment. Otherwise I haven't really done much yet. BTW will I need to rebuild my VL packages not specific to VL64?

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »

Just installed it. Installation went fine, with nvidia proprietary being installed with no issues.
Thanks a lot. It looks like a great release, and very fast!

Only problems so far were:

1. The familiar bug of sound volume not "sticking" unless one goes to properties.

2. Lauching Adobe Reader gave me "unable to find HTML rendering library libgtkembedmoz". In Preferences > Internet the folder was /opt/.../seamonkey-1.1.6, should have been seamonkey-1.1.8 . But even after changing it to the right place it still cannot find it!

3. I couldn't see any flash videos (?). It tells me I don't have the right version of flash.

4. I missed the clipboard plugin for xfce, which would be a nice addition.

Thanks.
Nobby

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »

Impressed with this distro apart from inability to install the printer.  Although cups is installed I get an error message to say that it is not.
Any suggestions as to the reason for this would be appreciated.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »

Although cups is installed I get an error message to say that it is not

Strange... Where does that message show up?
Did you try launching cups from vasmcc > service > cups ?
What happens when you run "service cups status" as root?
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

I don't think that this is a bug, but rather an annoyance?  I have never seen this happen with other versions of VL.

During installation, the "Decompressing Linux..." took a good minute or two. 

Yup, that's it.   Grin
Venturer

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17:40 am »

I posted this in Vectorbie a while ago - but this seems like a better place for these issues now, since I don't believe they've been addressed yet.

vPackager errors out when i select certain packages.  As far as I can tell the only ones that do this are for /opt/ (specifically, I've been trying to build grub, but it is not exclusive to that package)  The message given to me is "[32] Bad string conversion.  MBuildFromCrux.?.0"

When trying to build some - not all - packages through terminal, I get an error "configure: error: neither start nor _start is defined."  I'm using the most recent gcc on the repositories (4.1.2)

That's all that's hasn't been working at or beyond my expectations.  Terrific OS otherwise.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »

I posted this in Vectorbie a while ago - but this seems like a better place for these issues now, since I don't believe they've been addressed yet.

vPackager errors out when i select certain packages.  As far as I can tell the only ones that do this are for /opt/ (specifically, I've been trying to build grub, but it is not exclusive to that package)  The message given to me is "[32] Bad string conversion.  MBuildFromCrux.?.0"

When trying to build some - not all - packages through terminal, I get an error "configure: error: neither start nor _start is defined."  I'm using the most recent gcc on the repositories (4.1.2)

That's all that's hasn't been working at or beyond my expectations.  Terrific OS otherwise.
grub cant be built on 64bit.
what are the other packages your trying there?
Venturer

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:33 am »

For vPackager it gives me the error when I simply select most of the packages labeled for  /opt/.  It doesn't even give me a chance to attempt compiling them.  I can post a list of all of them, but it is quite lengthy.
fvj

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:06 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm a French user of VL, from the 5.1 with which I've tested the blood =;) and used it on a old Pentium 133 laptop and I'm regulary writing for the magazine Linux Pratique ...

I'm so happy to see this 64 bits version on my AMD 3700+ and I'm ready to test it and to compile the programs I would eventually be missing, but if i'm not bad with installing and configuring Operating Systems (Linux, Mac and Windoz) and networking, in coding or programming, my knowledge is limited to "./configure, make & make install" =;)

So, I'm in the same case as posted by alec, vcpufreq won't start for me too, with the same error message! And I decided to get the sources and to compile from the tarball. But:

- the sources that I 've checked by SVN are very strange compare to what I'm used too =:) it seems I need the program Gambas to compile it, right?

- Gambas needs a lot of libraries and programs that I don't need now (sql, ldap...) but I could take this occasion to test them... But that's quite complicate just to compile a program for a x86_64 =;)

- I hoped vPackager would help me by checking the dependancies for me, but it just talk about System Architecture i586 and I'm surprised. It is not supposed to mention x86_64 as a choice? Anyway, by trying it with the Gambas tarball, it breaks and tells me to install manually! And for that, I need the other stuff that Gambas wants...

Do I am missing something? Is there another way to compile vcpufreq? Any help is welcome ...

The second error is the same as posted by wcs with Adobe Acrobat Reader, the ""unable to find HTML rendering library libgtkembedmoz" error and also, giving the right path of Firefox or Seamonkey still give the message.

But using Internet with Flash is working and VL found my Nvidia VGA and my two soundcards (SB Live PCI & Nvidia AC97) without trouble, just had to choose ALSA driver in Xmms after an error message and lt rocks =:)

I will have more time to test that nice beast further the next week, but for now, the speed of boot and halt is the quickest I've ever had with an OS on this PC, a great "bravo" from France to all the VL peoples!!!

Salut,
FSW
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: