VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VL64-5.9-STD Beta 2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 13805 times)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL64-5.9-STD Beta 2 Bugs/annoyances
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:38:05 am »

I just picked up on this thread (since I do not own a 64bit system, normally I just leave it alone), but I saw vpackager here

That is a bug in the vpackager code itself, and not the 64bit system at all.
I do believe the problem has been fixed in the latest binary (svn). The next release will work much better.

fvj

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:31 am »

A little update about my french 64 bits VL experience:

- Still no news about the vcpufreq problem and still no time to try Gambas, the CPU give its 2.4GHz all the time, sad =:(

- I'm using 3 HDD (IDE hda & hdb, SATA sda where swap + VL are on) and I wanted a new Linux ext3 partition.
In VasmCC > Partition, I can access my 2 IDE HDD, but not the SATA (even if swap is on sda1 and VL on sda2!!!).
But no problem to access sda and create a sda3 partition with cfdisk, then I could use  VasmCC > Format to get it formated =:)

Nothing else, it's a pleasure to work with it daily...

I will now also give a try to VL Light and Bluewhite64 for 2 articles I'm working on ...

Salut à tous

FvJ

fvj

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 08:07:02 am »

Salut,

there is in the 64 bits VL no ping and either no ping6, that's not good for network testing  =:( it's seems it has been forgotten, no idea how to do it?

But (off topic, sorry) a great bravo for the speed and usability of the VL Light release, works great on a AMD K6-III 450 Mhz with 512 Mo SDRAM =:)

à plus

fvj

zeno0771

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 11:41:01 pm »

First off, the test machine:
Core2Duo 1.86 GHz on an Intel Bad Axe 2 (975XBX2)
2 GB GeiL DDR2-800
Nvidia 6200TC vid card
...on a Maxtor 160GB IDE (20GB partition), shared with an XP install.
I'm on a hunt to replace my soon-to-be-obsolete Fedora 8 install on my main rig (see my sig).
The vcpufreq has already been mentioned; also, as of this writing none of the extras repos work ???  Checked in a browser, the repos are empty so it's not gslapt or the distro itself, but what up with that?
lm_sensors and gkrellm picked up both cores and the Nvidia card but not the northbridge chipset; that's a new one for Linux and this board. 
ATM I just installed it an hour ago and that's what I've found.  Nvidia drivers went without a hitch which is nice.  No complaining about going onto an IDE drive (SLAMD64 had a problem with that).
More to follow, but gotta get those extras repos going...

C2Q 6600 2.4 @ 3438MHz
Gigabyte 965-DS3
6 GB Geil DDR2-800 (2GB Ultra series, 4GB Esoteria)
3x320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA300
XFX GeForce 9600GT

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:12 pm »

I'm on a hunt to replace my soon-to-be-obsolete Fedora 8 install on my main rig (see my sig).
The vcpufreq has already been mentioned; also, as of this writing none of the extras repos work ???  Checked in a browser, the repos are empty so it's not gslapt or the distro itself, but what up with that?

Note that VL64 is a beta version on which development is proceeding V E R Y  S L O W L Y. In my opinion, like other betas it's not a good choice if you want to do actual work on a Linux installation. It is more for testing purposes.

Work on VL 64 hasn't gone past beta2. The main development work now is on VL 6.0a2 (alpha), which is 32-bit but runs fine on 64-bit systems. It is definitely NOT ready for prime time, though it's pretty stable for such an early version. I note you have two gigs of RAM, so there is no compelling reason to go with a 64-bit development version as compared with VL 5.9 Standard GOLD or VL 5.9 SOHO (both 32-bit).

Of course, if your main interest is testing and finding bugs, have at it!
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

zeno0771

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:08 am »

Note that VL64 is a beta version on which development is proceeding V E R Y  S L O W L Y. In my opinion, like other betas it's not a good choice if you want to do actual work on a Linux installation. It is more for testing purposes.

Work on VL 64 hasn't gone past beta2. The main development work now is on VL 6.0a2 (alpha), which is 32-bit but runs fine on 64-bit systems. It is definitely NOT ready for prime time, though it's pretty stable for such an early version. I note you have two gigs of RAM, so there is no compelling reason to go with a 64-bit development version as compared with VL 5.9 Standard GOLD or VL 5.9 SOHO (both 32-bit).

Of course, if your main interest is testing and finding bugs, have at it!
--GrannyGeek

The 2GB Core Duo machine is just my test rig (see my sig for my main machine) and I installed it on that machine for testing purposes, my reasoning being that I could possibly contribute in some way to advancing the development of the distro.  My production machine has 6GB RAM and I'm interested in a 64-bit Minislack-type distro without having to do a from-scratch build (I actually have a LFS project started in VMware but school currently rates more attention).  I have a copy of BlueWhite64 that I've yet to try, and I gave SLAMD64 a spin but that was hit-and-miss.  I was/am a big fan of Zenwalk but their 64-bit isn't even an installable .iso yet, and I never heard back from that distro's developer concerning installing and testing it.  Vector was always comparable to Zen so when I noticed that there was a 64-bit version in development that was actually installable, I jumped on it.
I was under the impression that this was uelsk8s' baby and that it wasn't an either-or situation (obviously time constraints pose an issue but that's what beta testing is for in the first place).  Naturally there will be more demand for the 32-bit and that will get the lion's share of the attention, but really, I can't be the only end-user who can imagine the possibilities of an already-killer OS running 64-bit...geez, just the benchmarks would be enough to send Mac Pro users scurrying for their X11-compat folders... 8)
I think the current VL rocks, and I'm sure 6.0 will be even better...I just need it in 64-bit.  I'll be more than happy to test the $#!+ out of it as soon as I can do something with it besides compile and surf the web.  I want to see if Compiz-Fusion will break, I want to know if Firefox 3 will freeze in 32-bit compat, I want to see how much torture I can put Gslapt through before it barfs.
C2Q 6600 2.4 @ 3438MHz
Gigabyte 965-DS3
6 GB Geil DDR2-800 (2GB Ultra series, 4GB Esoteria)
3x320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA300
XFX GeForce 9600GT

droptopjim

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 12:49:28 am »

I tryed installing this after i get kernel faults with the 6.0 alpha, this version does not find my hard drive.  I am trying to install it on a New compaq laptop I just got sunday. it has the Nvidia 8200 for graphics and chipset.  I was able to install Mepis 8 64 bit on the laptop, but I prefer the Vector stuff.  My wife has my old laptop running WinXp and she is as happy as can be.... I have a New laptop running windows vista, and it just sucks... any idea on how to get some vector on this laptop?
Pages: 1 [2]