VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:04:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-5.9-STD Beta 2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 12732 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 05:38:05 am »

I just picked up on this thread (since I do not own a 64bit system, normally I just leave it alone), but I saw vpackager here

That is a bug in the vpackager code itself, and not the 64bit system at all.
I do believe the problem has been fixed in the latest binary (svn). The next release will work much better.

fvj

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 07:32:31 am »

A little update about my french 64 bits VL experience:

- Still no news about the vcpufreq problem and still no time to try Gambas, the CPU give its 2.4GHz all the time, sad =:(

- I'm using 3 HDD (IDE hda & hdb, SATA sda where swap + VL are on) and I wanted a new Linux ext3 partition.
In VasmCC > Partition, I can access my 2 IDE HDD, but not the SATA (even if swap is on sda1 and VL on sda2!!!).
But no problem to access sda and create a sda3 partition with cfdisk, then I could use  VasmCC > Format to get it formated =:)

Nothing else, it's a pleasure to work with it daily...

I will now also give a try to VL Light and Bluewhite64 for 2 articles I'm working on ...

Salut à tous

FvJ
fvj

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 07:07:02 am »

Salut,

there is in the 64 bits VL no ping and either no ping6, that's not good for network testing  =:( it's seems it has been forgotten, no idea how to do it?

But (off topic, sorry) a great bravo for the speed and usability of the VL Light release, works great on a AMD K6-III 450 Mhz with 512 Mo SDRAM =:)

à plus

fvj
zeno0771

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:01 pm »

First off, the test machine:
Core2Duo 1.86 GHz on an Intel Bad Axe 2 (975XBX2)
2 GB GeiL DDR2-800
Nvidia 6200TC vid card
...on a Maxtor 160GB IDE (20GB partition), shared with an XP install.
I'm on a hunt to replace my soon-to-be-obsolete Fedora 8 install on my main rig (see my sig).
The vcpufreq has already been mentioned; also, as of this writing none of the extras repos work Huh  Checked in a browser, the repos are empty so it's not gslapt or the distro itself, but what up with that?
lm_sensors and gkrellm picked up both cores and the Nvidia card but not the northbridge chipset; that's a new one for Linux and this board. 
ATM I just installed it an hour ago and that's what I've found.  Nvidia drivers went without a hitch which is nice.  No complaining about going onto an IDE drive (SLAMD64 had a problem with that).
More to follow, but gotta get those extras repos going...

C2Q 6600 2.4 @ 3438MHz
Gigabyte 965-DS3
6 GB Geil DDR2-800 (2GB Ultra series, 4GB Esoteria)
3x320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA300
XFX GeForce 9600GT
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »

I'm on a hunt to replace my soon-to-be-obsolete Fedora 8 install on my main rig (see my sig).
The vcpufreq has already been mentioned; also, as of this writing none of the extras repos work Huh  Checked in a browser, the repos are empty so it's not gslapt or the distro itself, but what up with that?

Note that VL64 is a beta version on which development is proceeding V E R Y  S L O W L Y. In my opinion, like other betas it's not a good choice if you want to do actual work on a Linux installation. It is more for testing purposes.

Work on VL 64 hasn't gone past beta2. The main development work now is on VL 6.0a2 (alpha), which is 32-bit but runs fine on 64-bit systems. It is definitely NOT ready for prime time, though it's pretty stable for such an early version. I note you have two gigs of RAM, so there is no compelling reason to go with a 64-bit development version as compared with VL 5.9 Standard GOLD or VL 5.9 SOHO (both 32-bit).

Of course, if your main interest is testing and finding bugs, have at it!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
zeno0771

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 11:26:08 pm »

Note that VL64 is a beta version on which development is proceeding V E R Y  S L O W L Y. In my opinion, like other betas it's not a good choice if you want to do actual work on a Linux installation. It is more for testing purposes.

Work on VL 64 hasn't gone past beta2. The main development work now is on VL 6.0a2 (alpha), which is 32-bit but runs fine on 64-bit systems. It is definitely NOT ready for prime time, though it's pretty stable for such an early version. I note you have two gigs of RAM, so there is no compelling reason to go with a 64-bit development version as compared with VL 5.9 Standard GOLD or VL 5.9 SOHO (both 32-bit).

Of course, if your main interest is testing and finding bugs, have at it!
--GrannyGeek

The 2GB Core Duo machine is just my test rig (see my sig for my main machine) and I installed it on that machine for testing purposes, my reasoning being that I could possibly contribute in some way to advancing the development of the distro.  My production machine has 6GB RAM and I'm interested in a 64-bit Minislack-type distro without having to do a from-scratch build (I actually have a LFS project started in VMware but school currently rates more attention).  I have a copy of BlueWhite64 that I've yet to try, and I gave SLAMD64 a spin but that was hit-and-miss.  I was/am a big fan of Zenwalk but their 64-bit isn't even an installable .iso yet, and I never heard back from that distro's developer concerning installing and testing it.  Vector was always comparable to Zen so when I noticed that there was a 64-bit version in development that was actually installable, I jumped on it.
I was under the impression that this was uelsk8s' baby and that it wasn't an either-or situation (obviously time constraints pose an issue but that's what beta testing is for in the first place).  Naturally there will be more demand for the 32-bit and that will get the lion's share of the attention, but really, I can't be the only end-user who can imagine the possibilities of an already-killer OS running 64-bit...geez, just the benchmarks would be enough to send Mac Pro users scurrying for their X11-compat folders... Cool
I think the current VL rocks, and I'm sure 6.0 will be even better...I just need it in 64-bit.  I'll be more than happy to test the $#!+ out of it as soon as I can do something with it besides compile and surf the web.  I want to see if Compiz-Fusion will break, I want to know if Firefox 3 will freeze in 32-bit compat, I want to see how much torture I can put Gslapt through before it barfs.

C2Q 6600 2.4 @ 3438MHz
Gigabyte 965-DS3
6 GB Geil DDR2-800 (2GB Ultra series, 4GB Esoteria)
3x320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA300
XFX GeForce 9600GT
droptopjim

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:28 pm »

I tryed installing this after i get kernel faults with the 6.0 alpha, this version does not find my hard drive.  I am trying to install it on a New compaq laptop I just got sunday. it has the Nvidia 8200 for graphics and chipset.  I was able to install Mepis 8 64 bit on the laptop, but I prefer the Vector stuff.  My wife has my old laptop running WinXp and she is as happy as can be.... I have a New laptop running windows vista, and it just sucks... any idea on how to get some vector on this laptop?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: