VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:12:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hi spanish speakers  (Read 1235 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: March 26, 2008, 09:32:34 am »

is dis correct

Hoy es Miercoles, debido al el dios romano Mercurio. En inglés, este día es 'Wednesday' (id est 'el día de Wotan'), debido al el dios equivalente en el panteón germánico, un mago furioso. Hoy está bueno ... los grilletes del invierno están rotos por fin. Asisto a dos clases: la historia y la informatica. Ahora, en la clase de historia, estudiamos el Imperio Romano, cuyo legado es glorioso. Efectivamente, la mayor parte de las palabras sobre este papel vienen del latín. ¡Salve, el Senado y el pueblo romano! Presentaba un examen muy difícil el lunes en la clase de informatica. Espero que haya triunfado. Aunque la informatica es lucrativa, me aburre un poco. Me gustan más varias áreas de matemáticas, como el álgebra abstracta y la teoría de la probabilidad.

thx for your input

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:41:13 am »

When you say correct... do you mean the grammar / spelling of the wording? or are you interested in the reason the day is called "Miercoles"?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:59:06 am »

Hey Hanu, that is awesome.

is dis correct

Hoy es Miercoles, debido al el dios romano Mercurio.

In Spanish "debido" is a bit ambiguous, you could say "llamado asi por el dios romano Mercurio", "called like that because of...".
You will find Spanish more expensive in words than English, takes a little more words to say the same.
Asisto a dos clases: la historia y la informatica.

Here we use "de" to make "clases" more specific, "Asisto a dos clases, la de historia y la de informatica", you wrote it perfect ion the next sentence.

Ahora, en la clase de historia, estudiamos el Imperio Romano, cuyo legado es glorioso. Efectivamente, la mayor parte de las palabras sobre este papel vienen del latín. ¡Salve, el Senado y el pueblo romano! Presentaba un examen muy difícil el lunes en la clase de informatica. Espero que haya triunfado. Aunque la informatica es lucrativa, me aburre un poco. Me gustan más varias áreas de matemáticas, como el álgebra abstracta y la teoría de la probabilidad.

Wow, a everything perfect here.

I would like to point that Spanish is spoken in more than 20 countries and each one has built a variant or flavor of the language, may be the other guys around have different suggestions. I am really surprised about how fast you learned, specially the verbs, which are the more distant from English.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:30:19 pm »

When you say correct... do you mean the grammar / spelling of the wording? or are you interested in the reason the day is called "Miercoles"?

I am sure that day is named for Mercury. Mercury (and Wotan/Odin and Lugus and Swarog) are my favorite European pagan gods.

In Spanish "debido" is a bit ambiguous, you could say "llamado asi por el dios romano Mercurio", "called like that because of...".

'debido al' was recommended to me by, I think, an Iberian Spanish speaker.

Here we use "de" to make "clases" more specific, "Asisto a dos clases, la de historia y la de informatica", you wrote it perfect ion the next sentence.

so that translates to "one of history and one of computer science"? kthx

I would like to point that Spanish is spoken in more than 20 countries and each one has built a variant or flavor of the language, may be the other guys around have different suggestions. I am really surprised about how fast you learned, specially the verbs, which are the more distant from English.

I was told that 'presente' (i.e., the subjunctive) was the appropriate verb inflection for me saying that I took a test on the previous Monday, and ONLY on the previous Monday. 'presentaba' would imply that I took a test for all past Mondays. I don't quite understand why that is. Since I am certain I took the test on Monday, 'presentaba' seems to fit or...?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:38:55 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:36:59 pm »

Yes, "debido" is not wrong at all, it is more used in iberic Spanish as you point.

so that translates to "one of history and one of computer science"? kthx

Literally yes, I understand the English manner is more economic, if you like, less wordy, more in the use of prepositions and articles. For example you can say "I have to go to my History class", "Debo ir a mi clase de Historia", as you see the specificative (is that word correct? Grin) "de" is used in Spanish and can be dropped very easily in English.

I was told that 'presente' (i.e., the subjunctive) was the appropriate verb inflection for me saying that I took a test on the previous Monday, and ONLY on the previous Monday. 'presentaba' would imply that I took a test for all past Mondays. I don't quite understand why that is. Since I am certain I took the test on Monday, 'presentaba' seems to fit or...?

I agree with you. That would be "presenté", a past tense form, "preterito indefinido". It is used to denote a single moment in the past. The "preterito imperfecto", "presentaba" is used to denote an action which extends in the time, a period of time in the past, but not a single well defined moment. Like "mientras presentaba mi examen, Dorita hablaba con su amiga", "While I was presenting my exam, Dorita was talking with her girlfriend". I think in your sentence both can be used with sense. I can't see how "presentaba" could imply all past Mondays.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:01:48 pm »

Yes, "debido" is not wrong at all, it is more used in iberic Spanish as you point.

Which word choices are the most snobbish? I use phrases like 'erinra sig' and 'likaså' in Swedish to piss people off from time to time.

I agree with you. That would be "presenté", a past tense form, "preterito indefinido". It is used to denote a single moment in the past. The "preterito imperfecto", "presentaba" is used to denote an action which extends in the time, a period of time in the past, but not a single well defined moment. Like "mientras presentaba mi examen, Dorita hablaba con su amiga", "While I was presenting my exam, Dorita was talking with her girlfriend". I think in your sentence both can be used with sense. I can't see how "presentaba" could imply all past Mondays.

oh word, 'presenté' ... NOT the subjunctive 'presente'

so

pretérito imperfecto is more or less like the past progressive e.g. "I was doing x"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: