VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 11:29:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (solved)useraccounts...  (Read 2458 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:11 pm »

hi,

i use vl 5.8 soho and have 2 useraccounts on the box.

so i figured out that i have access to the other useraccount. (did see docs, jpeg, walked in directories..play wma movies..)
surely i couldnt erase files in the other useraccount..but it is per default that every user can walk in other accounts and have a look at dat, that dont belong to him

is there a workaround...or is this deliberately in vl?

greets günter
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:46:47 am by ghartl1 » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:03:37 pm »

by default your folder permissions are 755 that means everyone can read the data in it.
set it to 700 and only you can read it.
Code:
chmod 700 /home/username
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:46:09 am »

thanks..worked

greets günter
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:14:15 am »

Hi günter,

Here is little chart that I found years ago that has always helped me, because I've always found it easier to use the numeric permissions in CHMOD.

l r w x r w x r w x
- - - - - - - - - -
  4 2 1 4 2 1 4 2 1

for instance  if you want to give the owner of a file read permission you would give the file a 400 permission code.
if you wanted to give read write  permission you would give the file a 420 code now  or for read, write , execute you would give a 421 permission.

Now if you want to add others to the permissions  the conventional setup is this:

Owner
Group
Others
say you wanted to give permission for the  file owner to Read, write and execute and those in His group to be able to read and execute the file but not write to it, you would add the permission numbers together like this:

owner =4+2+1 = 7
Group = 4+1+0 = 5
Others = 0+0+0 = 0

so a permission number of 750 would allow the owner to read, write and execute the file - allow the group members to read and execute the file and others would not be able to read or execute the file.

Here are some commonly use permissions

777 = anyone in the world can read, write or execute the file-- use with caution.
755 = owner can read , write and execute , others can read and execute.
700 = owner can read, write and execute  other can do nothing with the file or directory.
you can get other numerical codes by simply added up the permission numbers from the little chart above.

Also I use the -R flag often to change recursively all the permission for the files in a common directory.
hope this helps
Cheers!

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:25:52 am »

thanks

looks helpful
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:55:53 pm »

Your explanation is much better than most I've read in books and articles, Dave. Thanks! It's gone into my Tuxcards file containing computer tips.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:16 pm »

your welcome granny  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: