VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 04:31:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fooling internet explorer-SOLVED  (Read 2617 times)
brock

« on: March 27, 2008, 04:31:09 pm »

Got a question I guess about general linux/hacking web browsers.  This probably belongs at a general linux forum but since I'm using this distro I'll ask here first.  Our home school website, the place where we log into to interact with the curriculum specifies that we MUST use Internet Explorer on a windows compatible machine.  This strikes me the wrong way and I'm wondering if there are and Linux browsers or any browsers for that matter that can fool the site.  Or is there anything else that I can do to access the site with something besides IE.  I wouldn't be caught dead using IE and I think it's a crime that they do this.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:11:45 pm by brock » Logged

ChemBook Laptop (it was free) 1.50 GHz 1 gig ram 1024x768 screen Ethernet-cable modem (working on wireless), Vector 5.9 Standard Gold, HD install, NO dual boot--windowsfree system!  prefer Xfce for now
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »

Use Firefox and install the Firefox User Agent Switcher add-on, then set the switcher to mimic IE.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
brock

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:22:48 pm »

He shoots, HE SCORES!!!!!  Two thumbs WAY up.  Thank you. 

Stick it to da man........

ChemBook Laptop (it was free) 1.50 GHz 1 gig ram 1024x768 screen Ethernet-cable modem (working on wireless), Vector 5.9 Standard Gold, HD install, NO dual boot--windowsfree system!  prefer Xfce for now
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:50:39 am »

Close!

Everything looks good but...
The IE only site I have to access for work uses the F3 and F11 keys for purposes other than  the search bar and full screen toggleing.  The User Agent-Switcher does not over-ride the default Firefox behaviour.

Also the Java virtual machine which loads for both Firefox and my wine based IEs4 Linux installation, fails to load the helper applications which are functional on Windows based machines. But it works well enough to get done what I need.

He shoots, HE SCORES!!!!!  Two thumbs WAY up.  Thank you.
I'm glad to see it works for you. If you find any reduced functionality later you can try IEs4Linux but some sites are just too specific to work on anything but IE on a windows based system.

Still you can't argue with success. Keep stickin it to da man...!!!!!!

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:14 am »

Opera can also report that it is IE running on Windows without the need for an add-on.  I've found that for accessing the Outlook Web Agent (OWA), the web mail component of an Exchange server, Opera will work fine but Firefox will not.  Which browser will work better for you is entirely dependent on the web pages and applications you are accessing.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:07 am »

Opera can also report that it is IE running on Windows without the need for an add-on.
The same is true for Konqueror.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
brock

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:50 pm »

Nice.  Even more options.  The first suggestion worked great for me as we were able to access and log into the site and do all we needed to do.  So it worked perfect for me.  But I'm glad this info was posted and is accessible  if need be.  Thanks again!  Good on ya!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: