VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 12:02:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: skype-2.0.0.68  (Read 3498 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: March 31, 2008, 01:03:35 pm »

I have made an updated package of this. It is in /testing/net of the 5.9 repo.
Please test this, as I'm sure I probably missed something.
skype-2.0.0.68-i586-2vl59.tlz
it's -2 because I already caught the missing menu icon and the slack desc wasn't proper Smiley .
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:30 pm »

I don't believe that we can redistribute packages of skype without first getting permission from them. I would be very wary about this one.

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »

http://www.skype.com/legal/promote/distribute/

I think you are right JohnB316. From what I am reading in that link above. I would have to give them all but a note from mother .. lol. But they do have packages for other distros on their Linux Download section, ,

so maybe if this package is working correctly, we can have it sent to them to apply onto their downloads page for VectorLinux/Slackware ?

We should probably pull the package from public repo if it's in violation of their  distributing flaws.
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:11:16 am »

I just tested it and it work. But the start menu icon for skype is missing.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:45:06 pm »

Thanks. I will look into it.
mr_volvo

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:02 am »

didn't epic fall guy sort out a "super dooper legal version"? Where the package install actually has to download from the skype website?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:19:30 am by mr_volvo » Logged

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »

yes, he did. I wasn't aware of it until after I up'd this one. However, I am looking over his package to see if I can duplicate it so that it will grab latest version. or he can, either way Smiley .
brig001

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:38:14 pm »

Hi.  I installed this from Gslapt before I read this post.  Is there an easy way of undoing it, as it  seems to have broken my install. I have no icons for it, and running it from a terminal just gives a "segmentation fault"  My machine now takes ages to boot and fails setting up messagebus (No idea what this is).  Gslapt now complains of a DCOP communications error and doesn't show Skype as installed.  The power button next to the clock in xfce now only exits the panel.  I suspect a dependency has broken rather than the Skype part itself - the install was in four parts, but can't remember what the others were.  I have an up to date image of the partition which I will restore tomorrow, in the meantime, if anyone would like any more info, let me know.
Best Regards,
Brian.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:54:20 am »

It shouldn't have caused things to disappear and corrupt. It was simply the core package downloaded from the skype web site, and all I really did was put things in their proper places for VL , so that it would install them in correct locations.

Anyhow, you can remove the package using gslapt. Just search it, right click on it, select to remove.

If it's not showing in gslapt, then try to use slapt-get .
brig001

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:55 pm »

I restored an image a hour or so ago.  It wasn't showing in Gslapt, probably because of the DCOP thingy.  Like I said, it was probably one of the dependencies that broke it.  Anyway, back up and running now, but still Skype less.  I guess I'll live.  Thanks.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:19:01 pm »

Great news on the restoration. Could I ask of you to install just that package ,again, to see if it happens again? This way we will know for sure if this package is the cause, and we can look into it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: