VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 03:20:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to VL-5.9 ??  (Read 2243 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:25 pm »

I am using VL-5.8 to which less than a year ago I have moved. I would like to use VL-5.9, however, the way I have set-up my box that is not that easy since I am using quite a few programs which are not standard for VL. Therefore, I am not in the mood again for a new install after such a short time since one cannot upgrade to VL-5.9.

I have VL5.9 installed on my second HD. Now I have the idea to copy / of VL-5.9 to / of VL-5.8 using the copy command of MC. I would do this from the slackware-12 partition. My idea is if this is feasable all the new files of VL-5.9 will be copied to and/or overwritten in VL-5.8, keeping at the same time files of my VL-5.8 box which I do not want to loose.

/home and /usr/local of VL-5.8 are on separate partitions and will be continued to be used as I do it now when I am in VL-5.9.

My questions is if this is a workable idea or a way to move to VL5.9?

Suggestions wellcome!

Thanks & regards
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:52:49 am »

I don't think this will work, looks like a good way to destroy your working 5.8 install... if you're going to attempt it be sure to back up that partition first.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:15:30 am »

I would be shocked and amazed if you were successful at pulling that off.  And I can assure you the time spent, IF it worked would be greater then just going with 5.9 and re-setting everything up again. My $0.2
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:12:29 am »

Pita
there is a chance this might work.
If you are going to attemp it. I would first make a full backup/copy of your 5.8 partition and try this on that copy.

Uelsk8s
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:57:16 pm »

Pita
there is a chance this might work.
If you are going to attemp it. I would first make a full backup/copy of your 5.8 partition and try this on that copy.

Uelsk8s

Thanks, that's a good idea and I have enough space for it. Now I have first to solve another problem. My CPU cooling fan got bust and I have to look for a spare. In the meantime I taped the fan from an old machine on, it's smaller but for an emergency it works.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:58:54 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:22:21 pm »

I finally found the time to work on this project. I followed Uelsk8s suggestion. Now I can boot into that particular partition where I had copied VL-5.9 onto VL-5.8, however, I get stuck when trying to start X.

I get the following error message:

(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"                                             
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"                                       
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)                                   
(II) Module ABI versions:                                                           
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.2                                                 
        X.Org Video Driver: 0.8                                                     
        X.Org XInput driver : 0.5                                                   
        X.Org Server Extension : 0.2                                                 
        X.Org Font Renderer : 0.4                                                   
(II) Loader running on linux                                                         
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"                                                           
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module bitmap                                           
(II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"                                                         
(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)                       
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"                                                           
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libpcidata.so                                     
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                       
        compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.0.0                                   
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0                                   
(EE) module ABI major version (2) doesn't match the server's version (0)             
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"                                                         
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libpcidata.so                                   
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

This is against the message in VL-59 pure when starting X:

(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/share/X11/rgb"                                             
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"                                       
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)                                   
(II) Loader magic: 0x81d1b00                                                         
(II) Module ABI versions:                                                           
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3                                                 
        X.Org Video Driver: 2.0                                                     
        X.Org XInput driver : 2.0                                                   
        X.Org Server Extension : 0.3                                                 
        X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5                                                   
(II) Loader running on linux                                                         
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"                                                           
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libpcidata.so                                   
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                       
        compiled for 1.4.0, module version = 1.0.0                                   
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0                                   
(--) using VT number 7   

There seems to be a problem with the version of module ABI which I seem unable to solve sofar and therefore, ask for some hint or assistance how to resolve.

Thanks & regards
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:34 pm »

for some reason you have some parts of the old xorg left.
you may want to delete the /usr/X11R6 dir and re extract the X11 bulk
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:40:05 pm »

Thanks! It was /usr/bin/Xorg which had not been changed.
I am now in X in VL5.9 copied onto VL5.8 and it seems to be working all right. Have not checked all yet.

Regards
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:34:17 pm »

Thanks! It was /usr/bin/Xorg which had not been changed.
I am now in X in VL5.9 copied onto VL5.8 and it seems to be working all right. Have not checked all yet.

Regards

Well I do not have sound. ALSA Configurator does not find my sound card. I get:

"No supported PNP or PCI card found"

In BIOS PnP is enabled.

I checked all the alsa files and they are identical to those in standalone VL5.9.

alsactl restore gives: load_state:1327: No soundcards found...

and alsamixer:
function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Any ideas?

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 06:48:36 am »

I assume you actually have the sound card enabled in your BIOS? Please check that first. Also, let us see the output to the following commands:

dmesg
lspci

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »

I assume you actually have the sound card enabled in your BIOS? Please check that first. Also, let us see the output to the following commands:

dmesg
lspci

Yes sound card is enabled in BIOS. I have sound in VL58 and VL59 and DSL.

The output of lspci is identical in VL58, VL59, VL58-59.

In VL58-59 dmesg shows an output for snd* repeated 3 times as follows below which is absent in VL5.9 standalone and VL58 standalone:

snd_mpu401_uart: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
snd_ac97_codec: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
snd_ac97_codec: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_boolean_mono_info
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_resume
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_set_rate
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_update_bits
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_mixer
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_bus
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_update_power
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_suspend
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_boolean_mono_info
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_mpu401_uart_interrupt
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_get_short_name
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_mpu401_uart_new
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_tune_hardware

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »

Solved the sound problem There is good sound now even so vasm does not detect the sound card.Huh

Not quite sure how. Had to move some directories and make some symlinks. Did not note it down.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:44:39 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:53:33 pm »

I would be shocked and amazed if you were successful at pulling that off.  And I can assure you the time spent, IF it worked would be greater then just going with 5.9 and re-setting everything up again. My $0.2

I have more or less pulled it off. What has to be addressed yet can be seen in my post under Technical General, "Keyboard Trouble in X", to which there has been no reply. May be I post it once more under X Rated.

I did not take too much time, mainly for the copying and then rearrangeing things for the new layout of the X files. I am using this 5.9/5.8 now for quite some time on a daily basis. I was delayed by work,visitors and ill health, however, enjoy now my setup and hope the trouble remaining mentioned above can be addressed.

Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: