VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 03:58:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MFC 5440CN install update-- SUCCESS!!!!!  (Read 5073 times)
kge420

« on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:05 am »

I received a reply from Brother in Japan. Can anyone help with these instructions?

This is the Japanese Solutions Center.
Thank you for your inquiry.

I am sorry that a reply is late.

Please perform the following methods.

It is a check first.
It is assumed that this package has a PPD storing directory of CUPS in
/usr/share/cups/model/or /usr/share/ppd.
If VectorLinux in use has PPD storing directory of CUPS in another
directory,
please copy /usr/share/cups/model/brmfc5440 cn_cups.ppd there.
And please click and install "Add Printer" in http://localhost:631/admin.

1.Please install csh/tcsh first.
2.Next, please put attached mfc5440cnlpr-1.0.1.tgz on root (/).
 Please expand by
 cd /
 tar zxf  mfc5440cnlpr-1.0.1.tgz
3.Please perform /usr/install/doinst.sh
4.Next, please put attached cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.2.tgz on root (/).
 Please expand by
 cd /
 tar zxf  /cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.2.tgz
5.Please perform /usr/install/doinst.sh
6.Please open http://localhost:631/printers by the browser, and check that
there is MFC5440CN.
 It is not "MFC-5440CN" but "MFC5440CN." Be careful.
7.Please click Modify Printer and change DeviceURI into
lpd://xx.xx.xx.xx/binary_p1 according to directions.
 xx.xx.xx.xx is an IP address.

Best regards,
Brother Solutions Center
2 attachments — Download all attachments 
   mfc5440cnlpr-1.0.1.tgz
727K   Download 
   cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.2.tgz
12K   Download 

Forward

Thanks, Keith Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:36:52 pm by kge420 » Logged

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    -Ben Franklin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:30 am »

Holy Smokes! They actually attempted to help?  Brother is known not to be very helpful to the Linux community.  I have a Brother DCP1000 that is collecting dust since I've moved to VL5.9.  I've had it running many times, I just don't want to mess with the install/hacking and hairpulling involved in setting it up.  It's just a black and white laser printer.  I have still have ink in my HP Smiley

Have you tried the directions step by step?  They are rather dry, but seem complete just by reading them.
kge420

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05:44 pm »

I haven't attempted an install following these instructions yet. I don't know about csh/tcsh and didn't want to try until I know I have everything in order. I have been trying to get this up and running just because I can't. While reading posts on other linux forums I know I'm not alone. If this can be worked out I think quite a few people will benefit from it. My dealings with Brother in Japan have been going on for about 5 weeks and while they are slow to respond they do seem to care. Thanks, Keith

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:17:43 pm »

Hi Keith, the shell scripts provided will probably not work with bash. You can try the tcsh slackware package from here:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-12.0/slackware/a/tcsh-6.15.00-i486-1.tgz

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kge420

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »

I KNOW,I'M SHOUTING!!!  We finally got the printer to work. We meaning VL forums, Brother support Japan and myself. I followed the instructions above and it worked. Huge thanks to all, Keith  ps I don't know how, but can this be put together and passed along to whomever may need it?

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »

I'd be great if you joined all the info you gathered related with that issue, and wrote a howto for the wiki...
Tricky hardware should be covered there IMO.  This way we could update it when new versions come, or new solutions.

Glad it worked kge420!

kge420

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:43:56 am »

kidd, I would love to write a how-to. I've been anxious to help ever since I installed VL5.9. I don't know my way around all that well but I am willing to try. Is it possible for me to post the PPD file for this printer and would that help? I can send the links to the .tgz files that Brother sent me. Thanks, Keith

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:23:10 pm »

The PPD file won't be enough.  Brother has it's own printing lingo called "Brotherscript".  A user would need the whole she-bang.  Also the setup will make a udev rule specific to your printer, printcap entries and other stuff.
I've toyed with the idea of packaging the driver for my Brother printer, but it would only benefit the few and unfortunate people that own that specific printer.  Not sure if it would be worth the blood, sweat and tears.  It would be very difficult.  And may violate copyrights and such.

Brothers drivers irritate me anyway.  They release a printer driver for LPR or LPRNG.  Both are vintage and rarely used.  To use with cups you need a wrapper.  You don't normally have both print systems installed, but for the rpm's to install without hacking, you must have them both.  Stupid.

On one of my LFS systems I compiled and installed LPRNG and stayed away from CUPS since I wanted less bloat.  Worked really well but the learning curve is very steep.
kge420

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:40 pm »

Undecided exeterdad, ouch! I just worked for about 6 weeks on getting this printer working and it seems it will only help me. A good bit of my motivation was hoping to help someone with the same problem.  Thanks, Keith

Toshiba Satellite 2805
20 GB hdd
192mb ram
VL 5.9

-Ben Franklin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: