VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:29:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost Weaned  (Read 9518 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:23:52 pm »

I have a very cheap USB Lexmark all-in-one (X1270) and while I've gotten the printer to work with Linux, the scanner is a lost cause. It is definitely not supported by SANE and I can't find any other support for it, either. Vuescan, which supports 750 scanners, does not support any Lexmark scanners.

There are some Lexmark scanners supported by SANE, so be sure you do some googling on your scanner model and Linux. If you find anything, let us know.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
jimwill

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 09:27:49 am »

Well, GrannyGeek, I did find this - http://ca.geocities.com/freshshelf@rogers.com/index.html

seems the guy was trying to write his own driver, but his blog ends 'to be continued...' and I don't know when he wrote it! If someone could contact him, and maybe get the info he has compiled, they could finish it up!!

Also the sane-backends he lists is for version 18 - I have 19 and it still does not work!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »

SANE has had backends for some of the X11xx series of Lexmark scanners. They don't work with the X12xx series, which is what I have. I tried everything I could think of to fool it, but no go.

If you find a magic solution, do tell us.

I'm thinking of donating that Lexmark all-in-one to a recycling place after I use up the cartridges. It was basically free when I got it but it's pretty thirsty for ink and is not economical to run. The cartridges are expensive. It doesn't do a great job of printing, can't be made to scan in Linux, and can't be used as a standalone copier. It requires software in order to work as a copier and the software is Windows-only. I hate to foist it on someone else, but I guess if it was cheap enough it might be better than nothing for a Windows user.

I have a good but ancient SCSI scanner attached to that computer, so I really don't need another scanner. I also have a laser printer and two other decent color printers (one on a print server), so I don't need the printer part either. My other desktop is attached to a Canon all-in-one that was free after rebate when I bought a laptop in August, 2007. The Canon has decent Linux support for printing and Canon has a Linux scanner driver that works  both standalone and with the Gimp. Also, copying with the Canon is independent of any operating system and works even if the computer is turned off.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: