VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:01:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: backup suggestions? (SOLVED)  (Read 10144 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »

Thanks Bigpaws and all

I run java ver 6 update 5, and the latest gtk+ from gslapt (and the gtk perl gimp tools). All the other required programs seem to be present.  Differences are a) changed from Omnibook 900b to IBM T42, b) changed from Vector standard 5.8 to Vector standard 5.9, and c) downloaded a new (latest) version of SimpleBackup.

The answer is somewhere in those variables....  I have posted a request on the SimpleBackup forum. 

kc1di's partimage suggestion may do the trick.  If I can't get SimpleBackup going again I will look into that.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 02:18:28 am »

Not sure whether to start a new thread here in the software request forum or not.

Basically, I am trying my best to switch to Vector Standard 5.9.  Simple Linux Backup by, I think, Steve Rosen, worked fine on 5.8.  It won't run on 5.9. 

Grsync is not on 5.9 and I don't have time now to learn command lines for rsync, though no doubt it is very good.

I have no clue why Simple Linux Backup (http://simplelinuxbkup.sourceforge.net/) won't work on 5.9 but I had almost a year of backup peace of mind with that program on 5.8.

If you want to try an alternative, I packaged synbak for Vector a while ago - haven't submitted it to the repo, but you can find it here:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulm/vector/synbak/1.2.1/synbak-1.2.1-i586-1.tlz

It requires a  bit of editing, but it can be used either manually or as a cron job. I use it with tar and gzip to backup a variety of things on my systems. It can backup to a local drive, to RW optical media, or to SMB shares. I've got it running on a number of server systems to backup mail files to shared resources. In one case, its backing up 90+ GB on a file server to a NAS device elsewhere on the network.

If you want to try it, I can probably give you some sample configuration files to work with.

paul
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 06:54:57 am »

Thanks toothandnail and everyone. 

I hope to try toothandnail's alternative soon.  Meanwhile, thanks to Vector's top brass, I got Rosen's SimpleBackup running.  My basic problem turned out to be simple:  I did not have dcron running.  I went to vasm, turned it on, and SimpleBackup works now as root.  For some reason on my system it does not run as user, but that is for another day.  For now, I will mark this thread solved.

Thanks again,

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: