VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 06:50:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Under-rated?  (Read 2617 times)
kukibl
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:33:34 am »

I was surfing Internet last night reading some VL reviews and comparations. Some of that reviews/forum replies contain something like this - "if you are going to send e-mail, browse Web, listen to music and watch videos, VL is great choice but...". D

Don't you think that VL is a little bit under-rated?

I mean, I see VL as adapted stock Slackware for desktop user. It is compatible with Slack packages, so basically you can have all the stuff that are available at Slack. I am ex-Slack user and I know I am not missing anything. Smiley

So what do you think? Why do other distros (even Slack) users under-rate our distro? Huh
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:57:50 am »

I am not sure why, its not perfect, I don't think any distro is, but for me its the best out there. 
itsgregman

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:57:34 pm »

I have to say Ive noticed Vector doesnt get anywhere near the attention it deserves. Vector is certainly one of the best distros available yet you seldom hear anything about it. Ive had my eye on Vector for a while and just recently installed it and must say its a great distro.

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one - Ben Franklin
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

Hy,
Vector is really nice for intermediate to advanced users with hardware at the lower part of the scala. Here it stands at its best.
It is not 100% out of the box (especially for wireless users) but installs well and brings everthing you need for start-up and running of a system. Package repositiory and updating is excellent. The support from the forum is outstanding.

But look at distrowatch and you find how many distros hitting the same road?

So being #23 in the rang is not bad at all. Of course, before world-domination is reached there is still a way to go  Grin

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:28:23 am »

So being #23 in the rang is not bad at all. Of course, before world-domination is reached there is still a way to go  Grin

lol.....
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 04:36:21 am »

Vector does not get as much press as those with big bugets to get the news out there.  perhaps sending free discs to the Linux mags might stir up some interest.  Though I don't see a lot of interest in Slackware these days either.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 06:51:08 am »

True. I think many Linux users are a fickle lot. The "latest and greatest next best thing" seems to me to be the mantra of many young people. I would think that to some users, Slackware, having been around since 1993, would be considered a bit of a dinosaur ;-)

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:39 am »

I was surfing Internet last night reading some VL reviews and comparations. Some of that reviews/forum replies contain something like this - "if you are going to send e-mail, browse Web, listen to music and watch videos, VL is great choice but...". D

That's what most people do anyway, including me

F― them

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kukibl
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 12:46:19 pm »

That's what most people do anyway, including me

F― them

True, but that was not point of my post. Wink I wanted to say that it is not nice to limit VL's usability just to everyday tasks.

What about developing, servers, graphics, audio and video editing etc? There is a big range of activities that VL can do without any problems and when someone (ie. graphical designer or programmer) gets interested in VL, these comments are not that much encouraging.

I hope you understood what I wanted to say. Sorry for my English... Smiley
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 04:57:52 pm »

What about developing, servers, graphics, audio and video editing etc? There is a big range of activities that VL can do without any problems

Well, ya, any Linux distro can do that. Furthermore, the most common packages and not a few uncommon ones are available right there in gslapt, meaning that even a brain-damaged baby can download and install them.

So anyone who trolls forums and reviews sites saying "VL isn't good for [something any distro can do]" is a stupid clown who should eat s― and die in a fire already!

I hope you understood what I wanted to say. Sorry for my English... Smiley

No problem, I could read everything.

btw, I like your Bender avatar ... "Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer 'extortion'. The 'x' makes it sound cool."

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:43 am »

But look at distrowatch and you find how many distros hitting the same road?

Carsten

DW's PHR has been rigged for years Wink .. just an FYI

I think that VL gets underrated as well, that doesn't stop me from showing it off to everyone I meet. And there are many VL users on here with some skills that could/should get the word out, and present VL in a fuller manner. < hint>  Smiley
justin

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:25:27 pm »

First off I really like this distro.  It seems that zenwalk and vectors main goals are to make slackware more userfriendly.  With that said they don't over very much pizzazz which I guess many people want.  I like vector because it's faster than zenwalk but zenwalk is a little bit nicer.  Most of the top distros have the newest features lots of software and even corporations.  They're easy to use and appeal to users.  They want form not function.  Vector works well and fast but isn't' the prettiest thing out of the box. 

Why would someone choose vector  anyway?  For old hardware people get told to use dsl or puppy linux. Vector wouldn't seem like it would be a good choice with a 700mb iso but it actually works really well..  Not many people know much about vector linux much less vector light. 
It wouldn't get picked as a media distribution or server distribution so what is it's appeal to new users?  Why wouldn't I just use ubuntu like everyone is telling me?
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 04:19:49 am »

Vector is my workhorse. I prefer it over everything else. But yeah, some things do seem to be less than 'new user' friendly. And I still wouldn't recommend it to a complete novice.

But why you ask?
Well, it's just that Vector is to *nix flavored. Is that a Bad Thing(TM)? No, it is a Good Thing(TM)! But it's not welcoming. Example:
A while ago I installed Vector on a friends computer. Long story short. I didn't come round finishing everything just the way I'd like to have it setup, and so I kept two of the boot options in Lilo (GUI and TUI, renamed to Vector and Rescue) and set the timeout to 2 seconds. I enabled autologin and I told her to just power on and wait till it's finished booting. All be fine.
She called me the other day that her machine was kaput. It hang during boot. After a game of twenty questions I found her nephew had booted up her machine unsupervised and somehow managed to get it to boot in TUI mode. She was looking at the agetty login. Yeah. Kaput.

If that is your audience, then no, Vector isn't the most suitable out-of-the-box.

You got to hand it to the Redmond people, they have that kind of users as a target audience (fools and money... ). power off, power on. Done. With a little more understanding of the inner workings though it's amazing how reliable Vector is as a platform and how smooth the ride is.

Today we conclude this reading with a Koan:
Code:
A novice was trying to fix a broken machine by turning the power off and on.

Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: "You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong."

Knight turned the machine off and on.

The machine worked.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 05:43:54 pm »

I think the reason Vector is neglected is that Slackware is neglected. It seems to be off the radar of the major distributions, though Slack is certainly major, has been around almost as long as Linux, and is respected for its stability and customizability.

VL builds on the best qualities of Slackware and adds orientation toward and ease of use for desktop users.

I frequently read articles on "which distribution should I use" on popular sites online (not necessarily Linux-focused) and I don't think I've ever seen Slackware presented as an option for consideration. As you might expect, the answer to the question is ALWAYS Ubuntu. The distros discussed are usually Debian derivatives, occasionally Debian itself, Fedora, maybe Mandriva.

I don't understand the blindness.

Something that is great for beginners isn't necessarily the best choice for more experienced users or users who are willing to dig just a little bit in exchange for having a leaner, more customizable, MORE UNDERSTANDABLE operating system.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »

I think the reason Vector is neglected is that Slackware is neglected...
--GrannyGeek

Hy,
I think this is also part of the reason.
Slack is not very aggressive or active in advertising and promoting itselve. Look at the Slack-Homepage  Tongue
It is is the feeling of "Love it or leave it" you find there.
On the other side, we still can fell as true and authentic Linux nerds this way  Grin

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: