VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 01:14:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera crashes  (Read 7642 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 07:47:54 pm »

Hmmm...that's interesting...although I have experienced spontanious crashs on various opera on various machines the only time it was relentless was when I install it to damn small linux on a dx2-66mhz with 32 megs ram and swap...it did function but only for certain types of minimal pages...generally I felt it crashed relentlesly..I moved the setup to a p166 with 128 and do not recall it ever crashing during use and everything else worked better too...it is likely that those experienceing frequent crashs have hardware issues...I have installed vl std to several p3 with 128 to 512 and had only three spontanious crashs...pretty good for a beta....but for those frustrated with opera there are two other browsers to try on standard...

Everything Is Relative
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:17 am »

I have had persistent issues with Opera on a PII 366MHz 192MB RAM system running VL 5.8 standard gold.  These are issues that I had not experienced in 7.x or 8.x versions of Opera.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Xheralt

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:26:56 am »

The problem, whatever it is, is *not* Opera-specific.  I get random crashes on all three "modern" browsers (Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey) under VL5.9  And you can't surf Yahoo very well with dillo...

With the browsers, the window crashes, but the program remains in memory, needing a trip through htop to kill -9 and free the memory back up.

It may be a memory issue.   I (was) running VL5.9 on a P3/500 with 128MB RAM -- and before you ask, NO, 'throwing another stick of memory in' isn't an option.  I'm trying to keep this older machine (Dell Opltiplex GX1) in service without having to pour more money into it, and I don't have anything else lying aroung to scavenge -- otherwise I would have *used* it by now!

I've tried other "lightweight" distros (DSL, Puppy, Morphix), but they seem to give the graphics cards I have available (including mobo builtin) hiccups, so it's Vector or nothing for this machine.  I'm now reverting to VL 5.8 to see if that behaves better.

IMO, If a distro can't run stably in 128-192MB, it shouldn't be calling itself "lightweight".  Regular distros (*buntu, MEPIS, Mandriva, Fedora, etc.) typically need 256+.  Heavyweights need 512+.

And if Vector isn't going to be a lightweight, what's it's purpose then?
Darin

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 11:38:20 am »

It is flash and the gcc that was used to build it...same issue if I try to install flash 9 on my old pclinuxos box with the older gcc...doesn't matter what I use it crashes the program....only fix I know of is to go backwards to 5.8..I have had no issues with 5.8-firefox 2.012 and flash 9.0124..this is not the fault of the vector team nor the browsers fault. The results of it grabbing an enormous amount of ram is also a by product.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 10:36:55 pm »

Not only the problem isn't confined to Opera( I noticed the same problems with the other browsers as well), It isn't strictly memory-related either:
I'm running VL5.9stdGold on a 1.73GHz Celeron laptop with 2GigaByte!!! of RAM and each and every browser crashes randomly every now and then.
Mostly when there's Flash involved, but not exclusively.
(For instance: the flash-animations on the Aries-site don cause any problems, nor do the ones On the Cisco-sites...)
And sometimes they crash at pages where no Flash is to be found at all....

Moreover: Pages where the browsers crash at one time, they don't crash a second or third time.(But sometimes a fourth time it's "pkill-time" again...)
There is absolutely no pattern in the sites/pages where the browsers crash.

I'm guessing the problem lies a tad deeper and has more to do with the networking-part of Vector, but I really haven't delved into it too deeply yet.

Btw.- VL5.8SOHO and 5.8STD suffer from the same ailment.
I have those running on my 2GHz, 2GB Ram Desktop-system.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:47:10 pm by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:53 pm »

I have had Firefox crashes with Flashplayer but not very often and it will handle most of the sites that Opera cannot.  While the issue with flashplayer and linux may affect all the browsers Opera has  been virtually useless.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:39 pm »

I have been useing Opera on vl-std and vl-light every day for a couple of week on  single unnetworked units for basic surfs...various forums, googles, mails, weather, news,downloads, etc..no utube or flash related stuff by choice and have had zero issues. ..so basic functionality seems to be strong
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:18:27 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
thunderheights

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »

I have had the same thing happen to me as well...simply closes for no apparent reason.
I don't know if it is a Vector problem but appreciate being able to discuss the issue and knowing that others out there are experiencing the same difficulties...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:59:30 pm by thunderheights » Logged

Vector Linux 6.0   Laptop
2 GB RAM/1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64/120GB HD dual booting w/ Win Vista
Vector Linux 5.9 Lite Desktop
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)
thunderheights

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 05:52:40 pm »

I just downloaded new version...
I guess this is not beta version...
works fine.
Great new look.

Vector Linux 6.0   Laptop
2 GB RAM/1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64/120GB HD dual booting w/ Win Vista
Vector Linux 5.9 Lite Desktop
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: