VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:40:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wow this made me puke  (Read 5729 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: April 06, 2008, 08:38:07 pm »

http://journal.sjdm.org/jdm07007.pdf

Tell me they're not serious, or give me a Baretta and one bullet.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:08:06 am »

http://journal.sjdm.org/jdm07007.pdf

Tell me they're not serious, or give me a Baretta and one bullet.

I Think the unfortunate conclusion is that they are very serious. ( foolish)  and I'm Hiding the gun we like having  you around on V.L. you'll just have to ignore them and resist.

Wink

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:05:13 am »

News Flash: People Are Stupid

Yeah, EFG, no gun for you.  By the way, why would I want to go around picking marbles out of urns?  There might be snakes in there!

"It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material."  - U.S. Senator Theodore Fulton Stevens

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:24:48 am »

Hehehehe,
why do you think is every tool looking for intelligent live in the universe is turned away from earth?  Wink
Carsten (insert maniacial laughter here)

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »

idk I just had a visceral reaction to reading this paper because my formal psychiatric evaluation basically described me as a helpless little child. when you see studies like the one in the OP, it's plain to see that the neurotypical society is full of flaws. this is not an opinion; it's a measurable fact. who can blame me for not dealing well with the many ass-backwards ways of society?

I may not have common sense, but guess what people: the world doesn't run on your intuition!

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:24:38 pm »

You got that one right, EFG.  Neurotypical society isn't merely full of flaws, it's like a car with a misfiring piston, a flat tire, and a tank full of tainted gasoline.

Oh, and of course the tests that made up your formal psychiatric evaluation were designed by people who are "highly functional" in said society.  That should tell you something about the value of the evaluation.

We need more people like you.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:36:49 pm »

I wonder if the stat would change if the red marble had a pic of a naked person on it. I created a web page that offered 100 beautiful scenic wallpapers and four additional galleries with the most beautifull photos of various types available free on the internet, each of these had 30 images. one gallery of the six was 10 photos from a 1950's nudest camp showing full frontal nudity in a non sexual manner in black and white..the scenic wallpapers got 54 to 107 hits the nudist pics got 1500 to 3674 hits.The largest hits had men in the photo as single or in a group. What does that say about our society..

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:19:28 pm »

I wonder if the stat would change if the red marble had a pic of a naked person on it.

Well, it's a blind test. You stick your hand in the urn and grab one at random. And they all have the same texture.

What does that say about our society..

Agreed ... often little better than animals

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:19:03 pm »

Yes I read several pages....thanks for the et...I was thinking the choice may favor the better odds if the prize was naked pic inside the marble..thinking of the hits on my pic page..neurotic behavior takes us all..

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

lolol

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:43:04 am »

Wait a second.  Nobody told me there were naked women marbles.  That changes everything.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:52 am »

Okay...  I TRIED reading the PDF and my mind would wander after 3 seconds of getting bored.  Could someone try to explain to me in 5000 words or less what the heck it's about?  If Hanu's gonna bite a bullet over this, I'd like to understand why.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 04:41:09 am »

Okay...  I TRIED reading the PDF and my mind would wander after 3 seconds of getting bored.  Could someone try to explain to me in 5000 words or less what the heck it's about?

It shows that many people don't know you have a better chance of randomly picking one marble out of ten (1/10 chance) than of randomly picking one of seven marbles out a hundred (7/100 chance).

In short, it shows that they're biased towards 'more outcomes' vs. 'better chance in reality'.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:10:08 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: