VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: <solved> "mode" needs to be reset for every connection  (Read 2309 times)

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
<solved> "mode" needs to be reset for every connection
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »

For some reason my router reverted back to it's default settings and started calling itself D-Link something or other. No problem just reset the router and settings and maybe a new password for good measure....right?

Wrong!!!

After spending several hours re-reading and re-doing everything in Eauster's How To on wireless networking, I chanced upon an inexplicable solution for one of the five machines in the house.

When I came to the part where "mode" is configured as "Managed" I tried some other values. When I went from "Ad-hoc" to "managed" my wavelan indicator in the panel would go green. Now I had been able to scan the network before but not associate with my router.

I can now connect with my router but only if I set the mode to "Ad-hoc" then back to "Managed". I cannot go straight to "Managed" and connect to the Internet. So the question is why?

new  /etc/rc.d/rc.local note that "Ad-hoc" has to precede "Managed"
Code: [Select]
iwconfig eth1 key s:xxxxxxxxxxxxx
iwconfig eth1 essid "name"
iwconfig eth1 mode Ad-hoc
iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
iwconfig eth1 channel 6
iwconfig eth1 ap any
dhcpcd -t 10 -d eth1

This does not work on the other Linux box.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:01:58 am by InTheWoods »

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
Re: "mode" needs to be reset for every connection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:02:06 am »

I can live with not knowing why I have to set the mode to "Ad-hoc" and then back to "Managed". It works well even if I don't understand why. But if anyone knows please enlighten me. I spent several hours and the solution was arrived at by random thrashing about.

The router is now playing nicely with two Macintosh's, a Windows laptop, my Linux laptop and a Nintendo Wii. I can therefore presume I have resolved my router issues.
However I can connect the Linux desktop only after issueing the command
service ifplugd restart
I am still using Vector 5.8 Standard on this machine. Ifplugd seems to start on boot up. I see this in the boot messages and I hear the same number of beeps as before (3). Further the Wavelan plugin in the XFCE panel shows me as connected. However on restart of ifplugd I get an indication that it has not started at all!

service ifplugd restart
Stopping Network Interface Plugging Daemon:Failed to kill daemon. (No such file or directory)
 eth0 wlan0.
Starting Network Interface Plugging Daemon: eth0 wlan0.

The /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf file shows the proper interfaces
INTERFACES="eth0 wlan0"
And my /etc/rc.d/rc.local looks okay.
iwconfig wlan0 key s:<myKey>
iwconfig wlan0 essid "name"
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 ap any
sleep 1
dhcpcd -t 25 -d wlan0

How do I start the Network Interface Plugging Daemon on boot up?

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
Re: "mode" needs to be reset for every connection
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:01:13 am »

Upon further thrashing around I tried
ifplug -hand discovered additional arguments for ifplugd.

In /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf there is a section for "Additional parameters"
# Additional parameters for ifplugd.
# (Run "ifplugd -h" for further information.)
#ARGS="-fwI -u0 -d5 -pql"
ARGS="-fwI -t2 -u0 -d10"

With a little reading and some trial and error I discovered that the second set of ARGS should be uncommented as above. It appears that in my thrashing around, before I fixed the underlying problem (I had to re-install ndiswrapper), I commented out the required ARGS.

Thats right I did it to myself. :-[