VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Dial-up connection sharing using wireless?  (Read 2077 times)

kukibl

Dial-up connection sharing using wireless?
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:36:28 am »

The question is general, not VL specific. :)

I would like to know if it is possible to share dial-up connection using wireless between two laptops? I don't have any experience with wireless networks at all, so any information would be helpful.

I would like to connect my laptop with VL 5.9 Std and sister's with Vista/VL 5.9 Std and share dial-up isdn connection (ppp0 interface). Same principle as with crossover ethernet cable, but using wireless cards.

Thank you in advance!

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Dial-up connection sharing using wireless?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »

why not just buy an additional wired/wireless router for a home LAN?

kukibl

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:50:20 am »

Hm... well I don't know much about networking. :-\ I've read something about ad-hoc wireless networking, something like direct wireless connection between two machines. So I became curious about it, because that would be solution for one small problem I have.

So the only thing I am interested, is it possible? I would leave buying new stuff as a second solution. ;)

bigpaws

• Vectorian

kukibl

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:50:52 am »

Thank you very much, bigpaws! The link was quite helpful.

Now I have just one problem - how do I set my laptop to be host system and share ppp0 interface? :-[

I've checked wireless tutorial and there are no problems connecting to Toshiba with Vista (as a host). But how to do it vice-versa?

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:14:03 pm »