VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 10:35:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved:-)]Installation of additional packages  (Read 2494 times)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« on: April 07, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »

Hi, I think this is realy silly questions, but I have no idea how to manage this myself:

I have downloaded few packages from http://www.linux.org , but I have no idea how to install them.
I downloaded those packages into  *.tlz files, but, as I said I have no idea what to do with them.
please, help me to solve this confusion.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:58:08 am by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »

what packages you are looking for? Did you try to search it using slapt-get or gslapt from our VL repositories?
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:22:07 pm »

I looked for some icq client for VL...

using slapt-get or gslapt
actualy I have no idea what it is...

May you explaine a littlebit more, please?

thank you.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:29:33 pm »

slapt-get is our command line package manager and gslapt is its GUI front-end.
you can read more about them here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:55 pm »

Thanks a lot.
now I am reading and starting to understand what is going on:-)

but if I have already manualy downloaded some tlz package on my hardrive is there a way to make it work?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:42:32 pm by budulay » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:37:05 pm »

but if I have already manualy downloaded some tlz package on my hardrive is there a way to make it work?

To install a tlz package, go to the directory where the downloaded package is and su to root. Then type
installpkg packagename.tlz

(using the actual name of the package, of course). The package will now be installed. When you do this through installpkg, it's a good idea to do
ldconfig
at the command prompt before you type
exit
to return to your user account. ldconfig makes the system aware of any libraries that were added by the package.

Now you should be able to start the program by typing its executable name at a prompt. Doing that at a terminal prompt the first time is a good idea because if there are any problems, missing dependencies, etc., you'll get error messages that will help you fix things.

The problem with using installpkg to install is that it doesn't check for dependencies and download and install dependencies that may be needed by the program. So it's best to use gslapt or slapt-get to find packages in our VL repositories because gslapt/slapt-get will get the dependencies for you if the package is made properly.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 04:54:22 pm »

Thanks for trying to hepl me once more.
I have tryed to install some icq client through GSLAP, but it seems that it would never update the package list. Almost every adress it tryes are seems to be corrupted:-(
So I tryed to install those package that I have downloaded.
Actualy it isn't .tlz, but .tar package, is it significant?
I did as you wrote and it seems that the package was installed. I log of the root, and log on to my standard username, but I couldn't launch the program:-(
It seems that the program has created its own directory, but it doesn't shows up neither i start menu, nor I could launch it from the terminal.
Could you advice me, whst to do, please?

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:08 pm »

Thanks for trying to hepl me once more.
I have tryed to install some icq client through GSLAP, but it seems that it would never update the package list. Almost every adress it tryes are seems to be corrupted:-(

What icq software that you are trying to install?
What do you mean by "but it seems that it would never update the package list. Almost every adress it tryes are seems to be corrupted:-("?
do you mean the software icon never show up in the desktop or start menu?
you can run any program from the console/terminal just by typing then name of the program like pidgin or skype as highlighted by GrannyGeek......

Now you should be able to start the program by typing its executable name at a prompt. Doing that at a terminal prompt the first time is a good idea because if there are any problems, missing dependencies, etc., you'll get error messages that will help you fix things.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

Icq software - ickle 0.3.2
by saying
but it seems that it would never update the package list. Almost every adress it tryes are seems to be corrupted:-(
I means that GSLAPT for more then an hour is trying to update package list, but all adresses it tryes does not work:-(

do you mean the software icon never show up in the desktop or start menu?

after I have installed the program, it created its own folder, but didn't show up neither on desktop, nor in start menu. I tryed to start it from the terminal, but it does not worl either:-(

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 06:04:10 pm »

pidgin will connect to icq networks it is in the menu under network.

the package you downloaded has to be a slackware .tgz or vector .tlz file
a tar.gz or tar.bz2 file is usually source code that  has to be compiled
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »

Thank you, I didn't knew that my VL already has icq client:-)
The package I downloaded is "ickle-0.3.2.tar" from http://www.linux.org
Now I think I should just delete it from my hard drive...
But what should I do with the folder it created? Is there some way to check, whether this program was installed or no?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »

the ickle package is what we call a source tarball
you extract the folder then go into it and build the program then install it.
you can safely delete the folder
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 06:46:22 pm »

Now I have tryed to delete the folder, but it seems that the folder doe not want to be deleted. The folder is //ickle-0.3.2 and the delete button on the right click menu is not active. i tryed to delete everything inside the folder, but few files does not want to be deleted either.
How coul I force this folder to dissapear from my hard drive?
Thank you.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 07:49:29 pm »

try delete it as root...
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »

I loged in as root and successfuly deleted it, thanks a lot:-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: