VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 02:57:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 SOHO Preview Released  (Read 13523 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:12 pm »

The VectorLinux team is proud to release the SOHO-5.9-Preview-LiveCD. The preview is a try before you buy, not only to ensure it will work with your hardware, but also to showcase some of the features of the install release. We have customized desktops to bring you a feature rich and user friendly experience. This Preview should give you a good idea of what the full installation release has to offer, which you will have to see to believe. We recommend you try this Preview, to make sure of compatibility, and report any bugs so that the development team can implement fixes toward the Final SOHO. Included are, newer secure kernel 2.6.22.19, xorg 7.3,kde 3.5.9, and openoffice 2.3.1 for the office needs, seamonkey 1.1.9 and FF 2.0.0.13 for your web browsing experience, and much more. This liveCD is packed and can be used as a stand alone for many users. If you find a bug please report to to our bug report section url: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6002.0

You can download the ISO here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso
md5sum: 4364bdd9f98bf3d6bf675de91f56f605  VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso

Thank you,
the Vector team
mahdif

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:29:22 am »

Thank u for your wonderful distro.

Can I install the live CD on HDD? What exactly do you mean by saying it's "packed and can be used by many users"? How it diffes from the paid version?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:24 am »

Thank u for your wonderful distro.

Can I install the live CD on HDD? What exactly do you mean by saying it's "packed and can be used by many users"? How it diffes from the paid version?
No this release is not installable, We had to remove way too much in headers, docs, and other bits for it to be used as an installed system.

It is packed with apps for most every task.

The paid version is an installable, non-live version that is complete (none of the packages have been stripped).

HTH, and thanks for your interest

Uelsk8s
coyote4

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:41:25 am »

Well done Vector Team!

I'm running an older AMD64 with a newer Nvidia Card.  No problems at all running the "Preview!"  There's lots of interesting stuff which I've only glanced at so far.  Nevertheless, my initial impression is "simply amazing!"

Are all these "!" redundant?  Naw.  I don't think so.  Not when I've found a distribution that recognizes all the hardware and has so far worked without a flaw.

So when can I get my hands on a 5.9 I can install?  I'm definitely going to latch on to it.

And so, a bit more redundancy:  Super job Vector Team!

Coyote4
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:12:21 pm »

Any hope for a newer kernel version (2.6.24) for the final release? I'd like to be able to run this release native on a latest-gen MacBookPro.

Thanks! I'm still running 5.1.1SOHO on my A64 desktop. Looking forward to another astounding VL release!  Cheesy

DrCR
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:14:01 pm by DrCR » Logged
keyfitter

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:33:41 pm »

Very nice!. I have been happy with using VL 5.8 SOHO as my main OS, but now I am waiting to replace it with 5.9 as soon as it is available.
peispud

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 02:24:29 pm »

The sound bug is still present for my Audigy 4 sound card . This time I can't even get sound by bringing up the mixer - my card is detected and the sliders are up on the mixer , but sound is still muted .
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »

With Audigy cards you must be particularly careful with alsamixer. The Audigy Analog Digital Output jack must be unmuted. Put a music CD in your drive, use a CD player, enable alsamixer and find that jack by scrolling to the far right then use the "m" key to unmute it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
peispud

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:05:25 am »

The rest of the preview looks good , but there has got to be a much better way to handle sound .
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:17:34 am »

So did my solution for your Audigy card work for you or not?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
peispud

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

I'm stuck in Ubuntu doing a bittorrent download . I'm assuming that it will as Vector sees my card . Thanks for the info , I'll get back to you later . Smiley
peispud

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:39:46 am »

Yep , Audigy A was muted by default - thanks for the pointer . Can we please , please have this fixed .  Wink
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:33 am »

Yep , Audigy A was muted by default - thanks for the pointer . Can we please , please have this fixed .  Wink

Developers: yes, it should be fixed. Every time I have loaded VL (whatever version) onto my machine with the Audigy2 card I have to manually make this adjustment. The problem is that the alsa control: "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" does seem to be set correctly in the file:
/usr/share/alsa/cards/Audigy2.conf

so I do not understand how it is changed when loaded. Unless /etc/asound.state does not get properly set? Any ideas?

peispud

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:30 pm »

I have all my distros crammed on the one PC . Maybe someone with two PCs can do a side-by-side comparison of Audigy2.conf files . This problem seems unique to Vector .
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

so I do not understand how it is changed when loaded. Unless /etc/asound.state does not get properly set? Any ideas?
Larry could you post the pre and after /etc/asound.state from non working to working...........ty
vec

how come this hasn't come up in our development /bug threads don't seem to remember this one............ Angry
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: