VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 01:19:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automount of CD ROM in VL 5.9 Standard GOLD?  (Read 1694 times)
IanB

« on: April 08, 2008, 04:05:43 am »

Hi,

I've installed VL 5.9 Standard Gold on a Dell Laptop, 400MHz, 128Mb RAM, and have used the XFCE desktop.  Almost everything is working perfectly.  The only thing that isn't working is automounting of the cdrom.  I've searched the documentation and found http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_mounting_guide_en.html however this is not what I'm looking for as it seems to refer only to USB devices, which is already working.  For this installation, it's important that the cdrom automounts and maybe also opens a file manager window as the installation is for friends who have never seen Linux before.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this?

thanks
ian
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:07:58 am by IanB » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:25:26 am »

Maybe HAL is what you are needing. Personally I love vl-hot because is not a pulling daemon, but is intended for other kind of drives as you pointed. To switch to hal you go to VasmCC, Hardware, Mounter and pick HAL there. That should do it.
Now we should harsh the manufacturers to make devices to notify to the system when a cd is inserted, then vl-hot will rule for ever and ever Tongue

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
IanB

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:51:24 am »

I'll give HAL a go when I get to the laptop tonight.  Generally though, I'm loath to using HAL, on the two machines on which I've had it, it often ate 99%+ cpu time, especially when writing CD/DVD's, forcing the write speed down to just under 1Mb per minute (no, that's not a typo!).  HAL has only ever made problems for me, I hope this will be different....
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:59:50 am »

HAL has never been a good thing for me on slower computers either.
cdrom mounting in 5.9-standard can be setup easily in the mounter that sits towards the right side on the panel.
all you have to do is click on cdrom and it mounts the cd and opens the file manager. If your user cant figure that out, I cant imagine they are worth employing.  Grin

Let us know how it goes,

Uelsk8s
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:39 am »

... then vl-hot will rule for ever and ever Tongue
Grin Grin Grin

BTW, and only slightly off-topic, I find thunar very slow to show dirs and files on a vl-hot mounted pendrive since updating from that earlier XFCE non-hal package, to the latest XFCE and thunar on the repo. Could it be some kind of interference from hal even though I picked vl-hot on install? Unfortunately I don't have time to dig down for the cause yet, just wondering if any of you had noticed this. At first I thought it was the vm's fault, but now I am seeing it on a dual-boot 5.9 Std, too.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Jeshua

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:33:48 am »

Hello everybody,

I am running VL 5.9 St Gold on a PII/350
A few days ago I installed kdenetwork to use Kppp instead of Chestnut-Dialer. I also upgraded different files like Dbus, Hal, Hal-Info (all actions with Gslapt)

First I've got following errors on boot:
Setting up messagebus FAILED
Setting up haldeamon FAILED

I changed then mounter (to Vl-Hot) and the haldeamon error didn't appear anymore.
Now I can mount my pendrive but neither cdrom nor floppy!?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
Jeshua
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 03:51:14 am by Jeshua » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: