VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 10:38:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where other distros failed VectorLinux succeeded!  (Read 4071 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« on: April 28, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »

Hello all,  and listen...
I try to install Linux OSs on old desktop computers to make them usefull again for Internet browsing, some office related work, some music playing....
The computers I had so far: Pentium MM, PII, PIII, CeleronII...All were upgraded to 128MB RAM.
The distros I tried: Ubuntu and derivatives (6.06, 7.10, Mint, Fluxbox, Fluxbuntu, Crunchbang),
To all these machines I was not able to install one of the above OSs.
But VectorLinux VL 5.9-std I could install!
Although Vector Linux is not really for beginners, the installation procedure is clear and staight forward and it offers easy to understand tools to configure the system.
The posibilties to expand the system seem to be endless, but in my opinion, I think the average computer user doesn't need more.
Thank you, to the creator(s) of this very versatile and useful distro!

PS:
I make these statements although I'm technically not educated enough to know if some tweaking could have helped to install one of the above mentioned systems.
And, this is not intended to be a discrimination of these absolutely great Linux Systems at all!

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:22:45 pm »

Congratulations, Cariboo. You have advanced well ahead of the computing herd!   Grin
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:43:23 pm »

Vector is a great older computer distro.  you've made a great choice  Wink

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »

I think it's not only for Oldies.
If it's available in amd64 version, I would say it would be an absolutely high end, top of the line Linux system Grin...!

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:18 pm »

I think it's not only for Oldies.
If it's available in amd64 version, I would say it would be an absolutely high end, top of the line Linux system Grin...!

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-5.9/iso-release/VL64-5.9-STD-B2.iso

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
netfun81

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:54:32 pm »

I have to agree that Vector is one of the best linux distributions.   In my 13 years with Linux I have tested over 100 distributions.  Even though the linux articles seem to be Ubuntu obsessed these days, I think that Slackware and Slackware-based Distributions are the best.   Vector simply works and is reliable.   There are plenty of packages available and it is easy to compile others.   It is great for older computers that don't have a DVD drive to load Slackware, and adds nice tools for high end desktop boxes.   It makes hardware run as fast as it was meant to, before microsoft slows it down.  Long live Vector and Slackware!!  the Ubuntu masses will most likely never know what they missed...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: