VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:11:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash went **Puff**  (Read 876 times)
nerdcomic

« on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:51 pm »

When I first installed, everything worked fine as far as the browsers. Video, Flash Player... no problems. But then all of the sudden, some Flash Video sites stopped working for me. Mainly Yahoo News video clips and Hulu.com. The message I'm getting says that my version of FL Player doesn't support 'Express Install'. However, You Tube and Google Vids still work fine.

I'm sure it's something that I did. Since I got over my fear of the install process, I've really gone 'balls to the wall' with VL and have been playing with everything. I think I might have installed a package or something that messed it all up. So, here are a couple of questions:

1) How do I get my Flash Player back up to speed?
Being used to windows, when something like this happened, it was a matter of uninstalling the program, and reinstalling the latest version. However, I'm still confused with how VL handles installs and packages. I did manage to install the latest Firefox, but VL wouldn't let me put them in the /user/lib, so I just unpacked everything on my desktop. It ran fine... but still no Flash...

2) Do I need to be logged in as Root to install new packages?
I downloaded the latest Linux version of Flash Player as a user. Trying to run the install from the visual interface didn't work. But when I went into the terminal, VL wouldn't let me get into the /desktop dir of my user account. When I typed dir -L, I could see the /desktop folder sitting there, but every time I typed cd desktop, it kept telling me that no such file or folder exists.

Help me VL Paladins... You're my only hope...
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:04 pm »

You are learning which will be painful, no fear as a reinstall
is not hard to do. There will be many in your future Smiley.

If you remember how you installed Flash? When new to Linux
you will notice it is easier to reinstall then to track down the
problem.

2) Do I need to be logged in as Root to install new packages?

The answer is yes. There is a mention that you can not cd into desktop, the reason
is that Linux is very verbose. Try cd Desktop.

As far as firefox login as root and then under tools check for update, update FF
that way. Then logout of root and the user FF will be updated.

HTH

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: