VectorLinux
December 17, 2014, 11:29:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: My VL Struggles...  (Read 8150 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 04:58:22 pm »

Hi Cariboo
Did you try medit..it has tabs and is better for me and I can print from it...I just discovered I have this issue also..although I use mousepad by default often, I had not printed from it and just now realize I cannot..I looked in cups during a print and the job is not listing so maby the mousepad is not setup correctly..I noticed also that the menu item for print file in thunar does the same, or does not print files.. looking but nothing so far. can not find an rc or setup file for mousepad..it may be set to ghostprint or a different port and not sending the job to cups..I can only guess.

perhaps another reader can help us

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 05:20:07 pm »

Cariboo are you getting a print dialog when you click print in mousepad? I notice on my test box with no printer that when I click print I get a print dialog box and also when I click print file in thunar but on my computer with the printer added I do not get the dialog. not sure if this is due to the adding of printer via cups or something else...curious

adding...I see that if I go to settings printers in xfce and switch from cups to bsd-lpd that the dialog then appears for xfprint..found mousepadrc for user but do not know what to add for cups printeing there..well.. I'm no help lol
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:30:02 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »

..although I use mousepad by default often, I had not printed from it and just now realize I cannot....
it may be set to ghostprint or a different port and not sending the job to cups..
I can only guess.
perhaps another reader can help us
Hello overthere...
I hate to say that, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one having this issue Grin
Could you please, tell me how to take a screenshot, so that I can show you what window opens when I print from Abiword...(there I have to select the printer)
Thank you

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
fuelinux

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 02:04:10 am »

Cariboo
how to take a screenshot

Open GIMP. Then go to
File / Acquire / Screenshot

Here are tips for different programs and methods http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/screenshots/

Boyyyyy! there are lots of them methods  Shocked
http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:06:04 am by fuelinux » Logged

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 02:19:20 pm »

Cariboo
how to take a screenshot
Open GIMP. Then go to
File / Acquire / Screenshot
Here are tips for different programs and methods http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/screenshots/
Boyyyyy! there are lots of them methods  Shocked
http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux

Thank you, fuelinux,
I noticed, since working with VL, I have to learn, and learn..
I was spoiled in Ubuntu, you just go to Accessories and there you find "Take Screenshot"...you get so used to it that you hardly can imagine that is different when you get another Linux System... Cry
In your experience, which program would you recommend best running in VL: xwd---imagemagick---xv---fbgrab--?

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 02:24:10 pm »

Cariboo are you getting a print dialog when you click print in mousepad?...........
No, I don't.
May be this is a bug and should be reported.
What do you think?

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:20 pm »

if you have not installed gimp you can use imagemagick to take a screenshot

in a terminal type: import -window root screenshot.png

you can add this to the menu to avoid the terminal window in the shot

I know abi pops up a dialog and that is not what I meant...but another xfprint dialog will pop up for mousepad if you are not useing cups and I wondered if it was connected to the issue.

I started a thread regarding this particular topic but it gets no reply...did you try medit?

perhaps printing from mousepad is not common in vector land..maby one should be thankfull abi prints.
cheers

adding..I recommend you try medit as it prints and any files saved in mousepad can be open in medit and printed..it is a second or two slower to open but has more options and once you get use to the tabs you will find mousepad like win notepad which I replaced with metapad which had tabs etc..mousepad still has lots of functionality with out printing as it opens a little quicker for default actions.
although I have this issue it went unnoticed until you mentioned it as I use medit by automatic preferance..is there a particular reason you prefer mousepad...some swear by win notepad also but metapad was and is superior and free. I have a strong suspicion mousepad is not going to be printing anytime soon...I say this as I did some googles and found that xubuntu and a couple other linux threads suggested that cups installed well and abi printed as did others but mousepad did not. perhaps the reason no responce is made to the post specific to this topic...
just a thought
cheers
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:29:09 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:57 pm »

..is there a particular reason you prefer mousepad...
........just a thought
cheers
Absolutely no particular reason for using mousepad...I just used it because it was offered at the toolbar...
I look into you other suggestions now...
Thank you for you help, suggestions and thoughts...
Greetings
Cariboo

BTW I saw your thread you opened for that case...no reply yet.....

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 12:23:36 am »

I just used it because it was offered at the toolbar...

well.. no particular reason why you should not just keep on useing it really..if you need to print just open your document in an application that prints..glad to offer a little help...
Cheers Smiley

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:10 pm »

For screenshots I like to use import (part of ImageMagick). This is the command I use:
import -quality 40 -pause 5 screenshot.jpg

-quality 40 is an acceptable quality level for JPG screenshots and a not-too-big file. You can set a lower or higher quality to meet your needs.

-pause 5 means there'll be a five-second pause between the time you start the import program and the appearance of a cursor that lets you select what area of the screen you want in your screenshot. To get the whole screen, drag the cursor over the whole screen. To get a particular window, click the screenshot cursor in that window--no dragging necessary. Again, you can set a pause that you prefer.

screenshot.jpg is the name of the file. You can make it whatever you want. Without a longer path, the screenshot.jpg will be in your home directory. You can capture to other formats, such as GIF and PNG.

I've added this command as a launcher on the XFce Panel. You could also add it to the desktop menu ("Start" menu) or make a desktop icon to start it.

You can find out a lot more information about the import command by doing
man import

Also see http://www.imagemagick.org/script/import.php .
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:08 am »

For screenshots I like to use import (part of ImageMagick). This is the command I use:
import -quality 40 -pause 5 screenshot.jpg
........You can find out a lot more information about the import command by doing
man import

Also see http://www.imagemagick.org/script/import.php .
--GrannyGeek

Thank you, GrannyGeek,
your post came just to the right time.....I installed Gimp and used 'gimp-->File--->Acquire' to take screenshots which produces a file with extension *.xcf. I saw the thumbnail picture in my home directory but I couldn't open/view it. In all it is a bit awkward to handle anyway so, I highly appreciate your suggestions....The link gives me lots of homework.. Grin ...I tried your command and wanted to attach the screenshot here, but it looks there are no attachments possible...or do I miss something?

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:24 pm »

You can't upload attachments to this forum. However, if you have anyplace on the Web where you can post files, you can load your screenshot there and include a link to it in a forum message.

Glad to hear you've found import to be useful.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 01:16:17 pm »

Update on "My VL Struggles..."

B) Desktop ASUS VX97

1) Is there a manual where I can learn how to
   a) Install/Add a printer:

vasmcc--->cups ===============>[SOLVED]

b) place icons on desktop gridless/free of grid.
   c) change the keyboard layout or switch between different layouts

2) I cannot dial/connect to the internet as normal user.
   Even when I create the account as normal user i get the message:
   "Plugin passwordfd.so loaded.
   Failed to open /dev/ttyS2: Permission denied".
   Is there a way around?

Launcher with command '/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer'====>[SOLVED]

3) When connected to the Internet,
   clicking -->Bookmarks -->Search Web -->Google, SeaMonkey does not get me to Google
   or other Websites (like Yahoo.ca).
   Although it connects to MozillaZine, Mozilla.org.

Change nameserver in /etc/resolv.con to '208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220' ====>[SOLVED]

In connection with my R.O.C.. project I believe that VL is the best Linux Distro for this.
The few things I accomplished so far with it, ...no other System (Ubuntu, Fluxbuntu, LinuxMint, MintFluxbox, CrunchBang, AsoluteLinux, Puppy) worked as good as VL.

4) Last issue I want to solve for this old machine is the sound system. I configured the Alsa via  VASMCC and I already can see that XMMS is finding Track xx in my 'Music' folder or on a CD-ROM but I Can't hear anything.
Is there a way to test if the sound card (identified as a CREATIVE PnP card) is functioning?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:53:39 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »

You can't upload attachments to this forum. However, if you have anyplace on the Web where you can post files, you can load your screenshot there and include a link to it in a forum message.
Glad to hear you've found import to be useful.
--GrannyGeek

@GrannyGeek

Using the command
'import -quality 40 -pause 5 screenshot.jpg'
produced the screenshot I posted HERE
I still have to figure out how I can get a screenshot
of the whole screen and another
of the window I work with.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:13 pm »

I mentioned above how to take a screenshot of the root window...did you open xmms options/preferances..try configure for cd and check analog/digital ..?

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: