VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 01:12:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: My VL Struggles...  (Read 7347 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 06:49:21 pm »

I mentioned above how to take a screenshot of the root window...did you open xmms options/preferances..try configure for cd and check analog/digital ..?
Yes, I remember ---in a terminal type: import -window root screenshot.png
No, I didn't configure XMMS yet....
Because I'm away for a few days I have to try this later...I keep you posted

Ciao
Cariboo

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 06:56:03 pm »

I still have to figure out how I can get a screenshot
of the whole screen and another
of the window I work with.

To get the whole screen, when the cross cursor appears in the upper left corner after five seconds, just drag a rectangle to cover the entire screen and hit Enter. That should give you a screen shot of the whole screen (actually, of what's inside the rectangle, which happens to be the whole screen in this case).

To get just the window, click the cross cursor in the window you want to capture.

I'm not in Linux right now, so let me know if these don't work and I'll give it a try to make sure I have it right.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 07:56:34 pm »

I still have to figure out how I can get a screenshot
of the whole screen and another
of the window I work with.

To get the whole screen, when the cross cursor appears in the upper left corner after five seconds, just drag a rectangle to cover the entire screen and hit Enter. That should give you a screen shot of the whole screen (actually, of what's inside the rectangle, which happens to be the whole screen in this case).

To get just the window, click the cross cursor in the window you want to capture.

I'm not in Linux right now, so let me know if these don't work and I'll give it a try to make sure I have it right.
--GrannyGeek
Thanks GrannyGeek..
Because I'm away for a few days I have to try this later...I keep you posted!

BTW I have still this unsolved issue about installing VL on a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, may be you saw this THREAD?
I added some details HERE!!!

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 05:53:03 pm »

I finally got a chance to see exactly how I use the image screenshot utility. The cross cursor appears at the point your regular cursor is located. If you want the whole screen, move the cross cursor to the upper left corner and drag it down to the lower right corner. When you release the left mouse button, the screenshot is captured. You don't need to hit Enter. If you want a screenshot of a portion of the screen, drag the cross cursor in a rectangle over whatever part of the screen you want. When you release the left mouse button, the screen is captured. Thus you have a lot of flexibility over what part of the screen you capture and are not limited to the whole screen or just the active window. If you want the active window, click the cross cursor inside the active window. The screen is then captured. You don't need to drag out a rectangle. So you don't have to hit Enter for any of these. Releasing the left mouse button or clicking in a window is sufficient.

Now for the iSCSI problem. I don't have the technical knowledge to offer a possible solution. I did look at the /var/log/messages file on my laptop and after the
Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724
line, I have this:

Code:
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1-5[2437]-mh4)
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: sym53c416.c: Version 1.0.0-ac
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: qlogicfas: no cards were found, please specify I/O address and IRQ using iobase= and irq= options<6>QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: iscsi: registered transport (qla4xxx)
Mar 29 18:24:42 Gateway kernel: QLogic iSCSI HBA Driver

I don't have an Adaptec I20 RAID controller (to my knowledge) in this laptop. Perhaps your installation attempt can't get past the attempt to detect that. The next time I boot one of my VectorLinux desktops I'll see if I have the same entries after the iSCSI line. I'll also check the Windows Device Manager the next time I boot to Windows on the laptop and see if there's anything in Device Manager about iSCSI or an Adaptec RAID controller.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 07:18:30 pm »

@GrannyGeek
I'm so thankful that you take time to do these investigatioins...
I don't have the technical knowledge either and I hope somebody who has, will read this.....
On this 10 year old computer (ASUS VX97, Pentium MMX, 128MB RAM) where I have VL 5.9 Standard Gold running,
I found this in /va/log/messages:

Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724.
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1-5[2437]-mh4)
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: sym53c416.c: Version 1.0.0-ac
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: qlogicfas: no cards were found, please specify I/O address and IRQ using iobase= and irq= options<6>QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: iscsi: registered transport (qla4xxx)
Apr  5 08:15:07 vector kernel: QLogic iSCSI HBA Driver

I'm certain that there are no RAID controllers and SAS/SATA drivers needed.
For me it looks like a kernel issue and I wonder if it is possible to enter any boot options before loading the it. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: