VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:45:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XFCE - change icons on login screen  (Read 4498 times)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« on: April 09, 2008, 06:27:32 am »

I'm using VL5.9 and XFCE. How do I change the icons on the login (welcome) screen? I'd like to use my own photo. Vain, eh?

I've done a search of the forum and XFCE forum but no-one else seems to want to dump the man with the bald head Smiley

Thanks
Andy
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:43:59 am »

we use the KDM login manager.
in the folder /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users you will find a link called USERNAME.face.icon that points to the actual picture that is being used.
mine is uel.face.icon -> /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users//default3.png just remove the symlink and point it to the new pic you want to use.
the new pic has to be the same size as the old one and maybe the same format.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:34:02 am »

Thanks for the fast reply, worked a treat. In fact I didn't have to change the size of my new icon (48 x 48) to match the others (60 x 60) as it seemed to scale ok.

One other question: my name appears next to the icon twice, with andy positioned directly below Andy, whereas root only has one name, no capital letter. It was like this before I changed the icon. Any ideas why my name appears twice?

Cheers
Andy
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:35:46 am »

The only reason there could be is that you actually created two users at one time or other: one named andy and one named Andy. Unix is case sensitive so they are different users.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:48:53 am »

I think it is actually displaying your user name and your Real name
when you setup a user it first asked for the user name then it capitalizes that and suggests it for the Real name.
I think you can go into /etc/passwd as root and remove the Real name, but I wouldn't guarantee it
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:24:46 am »

Yep, it was displaying both names. I deleted real name "Andy" from from the line referring to user "andy" in /etc/passwd and all is well. Thank you both for your prompt replies. I just wonder, am I the only person who has (had) this problem?
kukibl
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:27:16 am »

I just wonder, am I the only person who has (had) this problem?

No, you are not. Wink All people who set real name and use default KDM theme have the same "problem".
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:04:57 am »

I wish all my problems were this "big"  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: