VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:05:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beginning: Win XP ends 6-30-08  (Read 1510 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: April 09, 2008, 01:43:54 pm »

Windows XP's final day still June 30, but low-cost PCs get two more years
http://www.betanews.com/article/Windows_XPs_final_day_still_June_30_but_lowcost_PCs_get_two_more_years/1207252456

Windows XP Nears the End--SP3 or No SP3
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-XP-Nears-the-End-SP3-or-No-SP3-82562.shtml

OPINION: OEM and Retail sales of Windows XP end June 30, 2008. With blunders like this, and no replacement for Vista in sight for a couple years (Windows 7), can anyone doubt that Microsoft is on the decline? This could be a new beginning for Linux. We have a two-year window of opportunity, anyway, to make significant inroads on the Desktop, while Microsoft apologizes for Vista.

Gartner: Windows collapsing under its own weight; Radical change needed
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428&tag=nl.e550
comment:
Why, it might actually run on a PC !!!!! It is absolutely INSANE to have to buy a computer to run an OS. If M$ were to cut the integration of world+dog to the kernel, why, innovation at M$ might actually take place. As long as Steve "Monkey Boy" Ballmer is there, NOTHING will ever change. Instead of beating the competition with superior products, M$ relies on lock-in to trashy software to make money. Until things radically change at M$, all that will come out of M$ is BIGGER, MORE BLOATED, MORE RESTRICTIVE, and MORE EXPENSIVE JUNKWARE .

Gartner Explains Why Windows Is Broken
http://www.cio.com/article/331963

Microsoft extends XP through 2010 for ultra-low-cost laptops
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/040308-microsoft-extends-xp-through-2010.html?page=1
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:57:55 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:43:58 pm »

OPINION: OEM and Retail sales of Windows XP end June 30, 2008. With blunders like this, and no replacement for Vista in sight for a couple years (Windows 7), can anyone doubt that Microsoft is on the decline? This could be a new beginning for Linux.

maybe

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:11:25 pm »

I dunno ... every year since I became aware of Linux, various people have been saying things like "This is the year of Linux on the deskop!"  And yet, the majority of people I know who use computers for business or pleasure use one or another version of Windows.  Granted, Linux (Vector Linux!) is fine for my desktop, but only a few people I know have switched from Windows as their primary OS (and most of them now use OS X).

Even though some people who use these forums disagree with me, I think Windows Vista is a disaster of an operating system.  Though that may mean bad news for Microsoft, it won't necessarily dent the Windows user base out there.  Even with XP sales ending, people will continue to use Windows.  There are still quite a few Windows 95/98/ME/2000 boxes still running out there (a local nonprofit I know of still uses DOS), so I don't see why a bunch of people won't continue to use XP and wait for Windows 7.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:39 pm »

Indeed, what will happen is that when support for XP eventually ends and new sales of machines preloaded with XP stops all that will happen is that people will buy machines with Vista preinstalled (probably home basic).  Few people (comparatively) buy non OEM versions of Windows.   For all those with machines that they can no longer get updates, most will solder on with their machines until they decide they want something new/fast.  At which point they will buy a new machine, maybe passing on the machine to a younger relative.   System builders might be interested in installing Linux - so that is one way in, but the general public, unless they have an interest in operating systems are unlikely to do so.   It would be interesting to see what systems people use at home in those regions of Spain where the regional governments mandate the use of specially crafted Linux distributions in schools and public administration....

That is not to say that there aren't opportunities when XP support ends and the sale of XP machines stops.  I think recycling projects that provide machines at low cost/no cost to disadvantaged groups would greatly benefit from installing Linux - provided that they can support the usb modems that many ISPs provide free. 

I can understand why Microsoft withdraw older OSs after all would we support a version of Vector that came out in 2002? 
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:00:34 am »

Its XP all over again. Really, when XP first came out EVERYBODY slammed it, myself included. Now, since it's had a chance to mature and hardware's gotten powerful enough to run it reasonably, its actually a fairly nice and well mannered OS (granted I have to threaten it with a wrench now and again, but that's neither here nor there).

I do agree that Monkey Boy needs to leave for windows to start innovating again instea of just pouring on the purdy and the like. However, well, I'd like everyone to quit going 'OMFG dis is der ure of linuxxxerzzzz!!!!!1111'

Really, we exist, not because we wish a dominant position in the marketplace, but rather because we feel that the way we've chosen works best for us.

That and being able to completely monkey with your OS to the point where it does EXACTLY what you want in the exact way you want is also pretty nifty. ^^
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:35 am »

I do agree that Monkey Boy needs to leave for windows to start innovating again instea of just pouring on the purdy and the like. However, well, I'd like everyone to quit going 'OMFG dis is der ure of linuxxxerzzzz!!!!!1111'

I think we can generalize an important lesson from this. That is: "You may as well abandon hope now."

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: